Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > T - Z > Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines

Old 05-20-2012, 12:57 AM   #1
Silent Rum

Automatic update troubles, help needed

So I finally patched my game for the first time earlier this month with the 8.0 patch, and i've been playing it without problems. It's been awhile so I didn't mind starting a new game.

I usually remember to disable automatic updates before I attempt running Bloodlines but tonight I forgot, and now i'm stuck with this.

http://i50.tinypic.com/1zfh9wy.png

I just want to play but it's not letting me. Offline mode won't let me. It's been like this for awhile, I really don't think this "update" is going anywhere. It won't let me backup the game data without finishing the update. I have restarted Steam and made sure to disable automatic updates. I even restarted my computer and it's still doing the same thing.

Is there any way I can still play the game without deleting my local files, downloading the game again and then possibly losing all of my saved game data in the process? Why doesn't Steam remember my preference to not automatically update this game? Why does Steam insist on these 'updates'? I've already gone through hell getting this game to run in the first place, and as it seems I may have to lose my character just to try to play again.

Help
Old 05-20-2012, 04:55 AM   #2
Silent Rum

Is double posting frowned on here?

Anyways... I made a backup of my SAVE folder, deleted the local content and I'm downloading again. Looks like I didn't need to because Steam kept the SAVE folder anyway. Lesson learned: Never start Bloodlines without double checking that automatic updates are disabled. There may have been a better solution but I am too impatient. At least my progress is saved, that was my main concern.
Silent Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 05:14 AM   #3
SpiritedTreasur

In the future I would advise just playing this game in offline mode..
Even with that option checked, generally Steam is going to update regardless if you are signing into Online mode.

Just use offline mode for the length of time you have this game installed..If you go into online mode the game will update regardless.. We had this same problem with Skyrim.

Also try verifying game files... To make sure that the game files are in tact..
You could also put your saves aside as a last resort..

delete local content (I think it is content)

then verify files...

It sounds like you are very stuck.. I've never understood why folks insist on going in online mode...

Last edited by SpiritedTreasur: 05-20-2012 at 05:17 AM.
SpiritedTreasur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 11:28 AM   #4
Silent Rum

I got it working earlier but it wants to try to update again haha. This time I backed it up so I won't have to download it again, just run the backup and patch it. I will definitely start to use offline mode, that is probably the best suggestion. It's alright, this game is definitely worth all the trouble! Thank you for the help.
Silent Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 01:35 AM   #5
Wesp5

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiritedTreasur View Post
Just use offline mode for the length of time you have this game installed..If you go into online mode the game will update regardless.. We had this same problem with Skyrim.
I can't believe that this hasn't been fixed it yet. How old is Steam now, about eight years, and this is still a problem? Although there is an option to disable it? Shame on you Valve...
Wesp5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 08:53 AM   #6
ajs410

I've found that every time you look at the properties, it automatically resets it to "keep this game up to date".

But if you set it and just never ever look at the properties again, you're okay. Problem is, if you ever change the command line launch options, you're looking at the properties...
ajs410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 11:35 PM   #7
Wesp5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajs410 View Post
But if you set it and just never ever look at the properties again, you're okay. Problem is, if you ever change the command line launch options, you're looking at the properties...
This has been known and reported at least since Bloodlines, now with Skyrim in the mix the feedback should be even more. So why can't Valve fix this? After all they release more Steam updates than anything game related for years...

Last edited by Wesp5: 05-21-2012 at 11:40 PM.
Wesp5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 01:25 PM   #8
SpiritedTreasur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesp5 View Post
This has been known and reported at least since Bloodlines, now with Skyrim in the mix the feedback should be even more. So why can't Valve fix this? After all they release more Steam updates than anything game related for years...
There was a big uproar on our forums about it. I just ran in offline mode but I think there was actually a mod made to stop that from happening.. The updates even when it is unchecked.
SpiritedTreasur is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > T - Z > Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines