Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > T - Z > Team Fortress 2

Old 05-23-2012, 05:07 PM   #1
XxaP

Weird? I can trade from unactivated account

I just turned on an alt account for some TF2, although I'd never activated to Premium by buying anything.
I read non-premium accounts couldn't get rare drops, so when I got a can of color No. 216-190-216 paint I was surprised (never got paint on my premium main account).
As this was weird, I decided to try and trade it to my main account and see if somehow this account went Premium - as expected none of my items showed up as tradeable - except the paint. Which I promptly traded to my main account.
How is this possible? I'd say paint falls into the rare/special drop category - and a trade is a trade is a trade.. right?
Old 05-23-2012, 05:08 PM   #2
TheSpoter

.....what?
TheSpoter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 05:09 PM   #3
BlazeFireMaster

They can't get hats. All hat drops turn into tools. As for why it can trade...no idea actually.

EDIT: Maybe Valve made it so tools and stuff can be traded...which, IMO, don't make much sense to me.
BlazeFireMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 05:09 PM   #4
A 1970 Corvette

F2P can trade if you trade from a premium account.

Also, F2P can't get hats. However, they can get tools and taunts. This is why F2P get things like tags and paint much more often than premiums.
A 1970 Corvette is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 05:09 PM   #5
Argeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSpoter View Post
.....what?
My reaction.

This forum requires that you wait 45 seconds between posts. Please try again in 1 seconds.
Argeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 05:25 PM   #6
XxaP

Quote:
Originally Posted by A 1970 Corvette View Post

Also, F2P can't get hats. However, they can get tools and taunts. This is why F2P get things like tags and paint much more often than premiums.
eenteresting, to say the least. Might be a strategy somewhere in there for us collectors.

Also, I thought we couldn't craft in these accounts but I was wrong there too - as I made a recovered metal without any trouble.
XxaP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 05:53 PM   #7
HotShot888

...do people really not know about this?

Tags, paints and duels that drop on a F2P account are all tradable
HotShot888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 06:41 PM   #8
hiigiveup

Quote:

Thus salvaged crates drop more often for F2P. Always suspected something like this was going on.
hiigiveup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 07:58 PM   #9
theunkn0wn1

Quote:

atually i got droped hast all the time, and i am on a F2P account what are you talking about

Last edited by theunkn0wn1: 05-23-2012 at 07:59 PM. Reason: spelling
theunkn0wn1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 08:20 PM   #10
Brutis_Buckeye

Quote:
Originally Posted by XxaP View Post
I just turned on an alt account for some TF2, although I'd never activated to Premium by buying anything.
I read non-premium accounts couldn't get rare drops, so when I got a can of color No. 216-190-216 paint I was surprised (never got paint on my premium main account).
As this was weird, I decided to try and trade it to my main account and see if somehow this account went Premium - as expected none of my items showed up as tradeable - except the paint. Which I promptly traded to my main account.
How is this possible? I'd say paint falls into the rare/special drop category - and a trade is a trade is a trade.. right?
Yeha, its funny how non=premium accounts get good drops. THe first time I used my secondary account, the second drop I got was Meet The Medic Taunt. No lie. Im tempted to make it premium, but i havent logged into the account for about ehhhh, 4 months? I made the account when I was bored and decided to attempt to farm items throguh long idle sessions. I foudn out that I really didnt have the time for idling, so I just stopped playing it, and kept to my main and premium account
Brutis_Buckeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 08:30 PM   #11
HotShot888

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiigiveup View Post
Thus salvaged crates drop more often for F2P. Always suspected something like this was going on.
Erm, no.

Salvaged crate is a crate

Not a tool

Not a paint

Not a taunt

Crates have a separate drop system. F2P players do not get Salvaged crates more often.

Tools and hats have similar drop rate, which they may share, that's why tools replace hats for them.
HotShot888 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > T - Z > Team Fortress 2