Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Help and Tips

Old 05-25-2012, 01:19 AM   #1
OmegaRed60

Steam account query?

Quote:
Dear Steam User,

This is an automated message generated by Steam account administration. It is being sent in response to a query made by a Steam user to discover all account names associated with this email address.

Steam account name: ************

You can use the above account name to log in to Steam. If you can't remember your password, click on the "Retrieve lost account" button on the Steam login screen.

The Steam Support Team
http://www.steampowered.com
Ok, that is the e-mail that was sent to me today at 12:30am est. It says Steam support was contacted at 8:47 pm est. Someone seemed to be asking about my account.

So now I wonder who did this query and why does Steam give out this info? It says a user asked for the name of accounts associated with this e-mail. I feel like someone was attempting to access my account, but I have no idea how they could have guessed my e-mail or triggered this automated message.

I think Steam guard should be applied to support accounts also. It looks like people are using it as a backdoor.

Has anyone else received an e-mail like this?
Old 05-25-2012, 01:22 AM   #2
kirknetic

Well I don't think they'd get to log in to your account anyway because they would need access to your email for that right?

Or maybe you have a similar email address with that person?
kirknetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 01:29 AM   #3
Jmcmatrixs

If you post keys in chat for steam, some people click account query and that is sent to your email (if you redeemed the key before anyone else)
Jmcmatrixs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 01:37 AM   #4
OmegaRed60

I was in a Steam chat a few days ago. I hope that was it. I will also avoid any steam chat rooms if this is what it leads to unless I know the person.
OmegaRed60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 01:39 AM   #5
ShaggyDK

Quote:
Originally Posted by OmegaRed60 View Post
I was in a Steam chat a few days ago. I hope that was it. I will also avoid any steam chat rooms if this is what it leads to unless I know the person.
I've gotten 2-3 of those messages in the past couple months.. and before that since 2004 I haven't gotten a single one. I got scared the first few times.
ShaggyDK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 01:42 AM   #6
restlessgamer75

Banned
probably a scam to get your account info but i'm not sure
restlessgamer75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 01:47 AM   #7
ShaggyDK

Quote:
Originally Posted by restlessgamer75 View Post
probably a scam to get your account info but i'm not sure
No, it's not a scam. It's really sent from steam. Someone put in his email and tried to get all associated usernames.
ShaggyDK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 05:19 AM   #8
cylon

Quote:
I think Steam guard should be applied to support accounts also. It looks like people are using it as a backdoor.
It's not a "support account" issue though. If someone had opened a support account question, the answer would be in the ticket. This is just a "i forgot my account" query from the login page of Steam.
cylon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 05:58 AM   #9
OmegaRed60

Quote:
Originally Posted by cylon View Post
It's not a "support account" issue though. If someone had opened a support account question, the answer would be in the ticket. This is just a "i forgot my account" query from the login page of Steam.
The e-mail said it was from support, but I guess you're right. I just tried the login page to see if I would receive the same message.

From using it for the first time I really have wonder where someone would get my e-mail from. It's the most obscure e-mail I could come up with and it's only used for Steam. I don't know anywhere else the e-mail address could appear for someone who isn't me.
OmegaRed60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 06:26 AM   #10
MostlyMittenz

Quote:
From using it for the first time I really have wonder where someone would get my e-mail from. It's the most obscure e-mail I could come up with and it's only used for Steam. I don't know anywhere else the e-mail address could appear for someone who isn't me.
Someone tried to use a serial-key registered to your account, was denied, and made an inquiry about THAT key.

They don't know your email. The message was auto-generated by Steam.

Happen's all the time. People find a key and test to see if they're still valid.

Last edited by MostlyMittenz: 05-25-2012 at 06:31 AM.
MostlyMittenz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 06:45 AM   #11
Tito Shivan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MostlyMittenz View Post
Someone tried to use a serial-key registered to your account, was denied, and made an inquiry about THAT key.

They don't know your email. The message was auto-generated by Steam.

Happen's all the time. People find a key and test to see if they're still valid.
Totally right.
Whenever some developer does a giveaway of keys for his game people start checking them to get one.

When a key you try to activate is already in use, steam warns you that it couldn't be activated because it is already used.
Along the warning, shows a button to use in case the key is indeed yours but can't remember the account in where it was activated
(And is easy to press that button instead of the 'cancel' one on the window)
Pressing that button automatically generates the mail you got. No security threat there.

Although i agree the first time you get it it's a little scary.
Tito Shivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 07:03 AM   #12
TeKraken

I got 4 in a week, they are harmless as the requester gets no info displayed.

Generally these threads pop up when Indie bundles start or give-aways happen (looking at you Lucid).
TeKraken is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Help and Tips