Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > H - L > Half-Life 2: Deathmatch

Old 05-19-2012, 11:05 AM   #1
Solomon Kane

Autoexec

Having a problem with autoexec file... and i can create a folder and write to it but every few weeks it just stops working for some strange reason.It wont allow me to write to it and it just goes back to normal config.I'm running windows 7 any one got any ideas on how to solve it cheers
Old 05-19-2012, 01:26 PM   #2
Ade

huh?..
server or client?
file or folder?
don't understand ur pb
Ade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 11:22 PM   #3
Solomon Kane

Sorry wasnt clear its client and i create a autoexec folder put my rates etc in and i add +exec autoexec.cfg –toconsole –novid in the Set Launch Options. But after a couple of weeks it just resets itself to default and reads from the config folder.Maybe im going wrong in creating a autoexec folder i dont know.
Solomon Kane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 01:47 PM   #4
Ade

don't u mean /folder/autoexec.cfg?
and yea i never heard of an autoexec folder, just put the .cfg in the /cfg folder next to your config.cfg; there used to be a valve.rc file also which needed tweaking for the game to see the autoexec but now it's gone so probably no longer needed, since my autoexec is still executed
Ade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 02:54 PM   #5
Solomon Kane

Can anyone explain how to setup autoexc.cfg from the begining
Solomon Kane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 09:21 AM   #6
iBMe

Have you tried making it read only? (right click > properties)
iBMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 08:06 AM   #7
dbanimal

Kind of branching off what Ade said, I go to my hl2mp/cfg folder and create a file called autoexec.cfg - use notepad and make sure once it's created that it's not autoexec.cfg.txt Verify this by going to Tools > Folder options > View tab > Uncheck "Hide extensions for known file types". If it says autoexec.cfg.txt delete the .txt portion. Now you can put whatever you want inside and it will never be overwritten and will automatically execute every time you launch the game. I usually put my server rcon password in mine.

Edit: Sorry, the above mentioned for verifying the file types is for XP not Win 7.

Last edited by dbanimal: 05-30-2012 at 08:12 AM.
dbanimal is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > H - L > Half-Life 2: Deathmatch