Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > M - P > Magic: The Gathering series > Duels of the Planeswalkers

Old 05-25-2012, 12:36 PM   #1
Budthewise

Can we please have a Sliver deck?

Although in the past I have suggested numerous good ideas and I highly doubt anything will come from it, however this one would be very simple to implement and a lot of fun to do.

Can we please have a Sliver creature deck? One that uses Gemhide sliver for mana smoothing, the Ward sliver for mass protection and so on, I just think that this would be so much fun.

Also I want to ask this again, since I own both games already and soon the third one, is there a way to be able to use a deck on game 1 for a duel on game 3? Since the programming is already done, this would be nice to see, just copy and paste mostly. (If nothing else, it would cause NEWER players to buy the OLDER games plus add more fun to the upcoming game.)

Last edited by Budthewise: 05-25-2012 at 01:49 PM.
Old 05-25-2012, 01:37 PM   #2
Budthewise

Also, I know of how people were talking about a deck editor being a bad idea and how it would overpower certain decks and yadda yadda. Well, if a simple deck editor was created (shouldn't be that hard, I could even do it) and offer points on the value of each card. For instance, the more powerful or overused cards would be worth more points than the simple common cards and so on.

Doing this, you could limit the better cards and sorta force the use of the common ones that are a 'meh' at best by making the worst cards cost less on a point system. To add more fareness to this, have each deck SHOW how many points it is using in a deck and also have limits to how many points are possible in a deck when you make it.

Last edited by Budthewise: 05-25-2012 at 01:40 PM.
Budthewise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 01:39 PM   #3
Budthewise

As much as I would like these features, I doubt they will be read, or much less implemented into the game. It just would change a games replay value and longtivity of the playing time probably ten fold. Sad thing is that both of these ideas would be very easy to implement but I guess laziness or lack of workmanship will not even try these.

...hell, if done though, it might even have people start playing Magic the Gathering Online.

Last edited by Budthewise: 05-25-2012 at 01:42 PM.
Old 05-25-2012, 01:43 PM   #4
Budthewise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budthewise View Post
As much as I would like these features, I doubt they will be read, or much less implemented into the game. It just would change a games replay value and longtivity of the playing time probably ten fold. Sad thing is that both of these ideas would be very easy to implement but I guess laziness or lack of workmanship will not even try these.

...hell, if done though, it might even have people start playing Magic the Gathering Online.
No offence to WotC, it is just that we read AND complain often on the same things and yet no response back or even a patch. However, they still make loads of DLC and a new game every year. It is just hard not to lose faith in the company at times.
Old 05-25-2012, 01:46 PM   #5
Budthewise

OH, last comment, I swear.

Could we NOT care about what is in Standard or even Extended? In the MtG Online these are important but this game is rather basic and playing with older cards from a while ago would be nice....like the Sliver deck.

I am not talking the "Power Nine" cards, just stuff from like the last four or five years after the game balanced out some.
Old 05-25-2012, 10:33 PM   #6
Tiamatt

Wow, well this is interesting. Lets see.....

Post 1: Slivers would be nice, and with manual mana tapping a lot more possible then they would've been in 2012. Mana fixing might still be a issue, but as long as it's not 4 or 5 colors and comes with 4 gemhides I say why not. Would be a easy DLC sale.

As for deck transfers, probably not since the console versions can't do that. Would be nice though.

Post 2: It wouldn't be hard to increase deck editing without creating balance issues as long as there's enough restrictions in place. The point system for example is a fine idea and I'm sure a lot of players would happily take it over the 0 we have now. But I'm going to guess that either

1. They want players to pay more for the option of deck customization, either through paper MTG or MTGonline. Or

2. They're saving that option for a future DOTP, since this will probably be a yearly thing. By 2022 we might finally get a DOTP that feels like what the yugioh players get with their games.

Post 3: The point of withholding options is to get people to play MTGonline so they can have everything. And while that sucks for us I see their point, if a cheap game like DOTP has almost all the benefits of a much more expensive MTGonline it's easy to see what everyone would flock to.

Post 4: They recently had a interview with Stainless, the jest of it being it actually costs a lot of money to patch a xbox game, so that's why they can't do it without cutting into profits. As for PS3/steam, that wasn't mentioned for obvious reasons.

Post 5: I didn't know people actually cared. Ok I personally would prefer some of the newer stuff but as long as the decks are good and fun they can use whatever they like.

TL=DR: I think you should've just edited your original post into 1 big one over 5 small ones, would made responding to it less work.

Oh yeah and I remembered what Ward Sliver did, a big fat NO to that one. DOTPs have a LOT of mono-colored decks and Ward Slivers would lead to a lot of easy wins. IRL mtg where there's plenty of ways to deal with it sure but in a limited format like this one? No thank you.

Last edited by Tiamatt: 05-25-2012 at 10:43 PM.
Tiamatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 01:02 PM   #7
Budthewise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiamatt View Post
Wow, well this is interesting. Lets see.....

Post 1: Slivers would be nice, and with manual mana tapping a lot more possible then they would've been in 2012. Mana fixing might still be a issue, but as long as it's not 4 or 5 colors and comes with 4 gemhides I say why not. Would be a easy DLC sale.

As for deck transfers, probably not since the console versions can't do that. Would be nice though.

Post 2: It wouldn't be hard to increase deck editing without creating balance issues as long as there's enough restrictions in place. The point system for example is a fine idea and I'm sure a lot of players would happily take it over the 0 we have now. But I'm going to guess that either

1. They want players to pay more for the option of deck customization, either through paper MTG or MTGonline. Or

2. They're saving that option for a future DOTP, since this will probably be a yearly thing. By 2022 we might finally get a DOTP that feels like what the yugioh players get with their games.

Post 3: The point of withholding options is to get people to play MTGonline so they can have everything. And while that sucks for us I see their point, if a cheap game like DOTP has almost all the benefits of a much more expensive MTGonline it's easy to see what everyone would flock to.

Post 4: They recently had a interview with Stainless, the jest of it being it actually costs a lot of money to patch a xbox game, so that's why they can't do it without cutting into profits. As for PS3/steam, that wasn't mentioned for obvious reasons.

Post 5: I didn't know people actually cared. Ok I personally would prefer some of the newer stuff but as long as the decks are good and fun they can use whatever they like.

TL=DR: I think you should've just edited your original post into 1 big one over 5 small ones, would made responding to it less work.

Oh yeah and I remembered what Ward Sliver did, a big fat NO to that one. DOTPs have a LOT of mono-colored decks and Ward Slivers would lead to a lot of easy wins. IRL mtg where there's plenty of ways to deal with it sure but in a limited format like this one? No thank you.
I agree almost completely back with what you said as well. I just wish that companies realise that not everything has to go on consoles as there are still some like myself that enjoy PC gaming on its own and without dumbing things down.

I like the DotP editions because I am quite tired of the internet childish games and the random crap that is spewed from it. I, expectually while rocking my son to sleep, would rather just get in and play a quick game and not deal with the crap of doing so online.

Yes, my post should be just one, I agree with that but it was mostly just random additions to my previous idea. Next time I will do just one post as I do understand the point in following as well. Maybe just ONE or two Ward Slivers but then again how many of us played against the Tezzernet deck and get the pump guy out on the computer side without a removal spell just to watch the computer overpower everything else.

However to fix that problem, just change the wording IN THE DotP GAME ONLY to add shroud instead of the Ward effect or just make a new card instead and leave out Ward in this case. OR, just be able to slam the Single color decks with ease and have opponents start using multicolor decks like in the REAL game.

I still would MUCH RATHER (capitals are for emphasis and to stress the point.) have an expansion that adds something else to the game by both opponents and/or new game modes. Just producing decks and offering NO KNOWN AI support that I know of for them is rather sad and does kill the game quite a bit for me. Please end this milking of the game for the last pennies you can get and do what Valve does and make the game better, it shows to us all that care at all about the products and are more faithful to them.

Lastly, once again for emphasis, WHY THE HELL WOULD ANY COMPANY JUST WASTE TIME AND NOT IMPLEMENT A NEW UPDATE NOW BUT INSTEAD DO IT WHEN THEY FEEL LIKE IT?!! It only shows that the company is either lazy, incompetent in knowledge to do it, or a cash hog. Either one it is though, they lose a great deal of potential customers to it when if they build on the product and make it better, more people will come in. Case in point, people STILL play and spend a lot of money playing Team Fortress 2 and that game has been out for several years now.

------------------------

I didn't catch this until after I wrote. Steam upgrades stuff with realitively no problems and although I don't know this, I doubt they add a cost or at least a high cost in doing so. Please upgrade the PC version...if only us than letting ALL suffer due to consoles being so lacking in upgrade support.

Last edited by Budthewise: 05-26-2012 at 01:14 PM.
Old 05-26-2012, 01:08 PM   #8
Budthewise

I choose to post this by itself though just to make it as clear as I can to stress my point.

THERE ARE SOME OF US WHO LOOK DOWN ON CONSOLE GAMING AND THE LACKLUSTER OF THE DEPTH THE SYSTEMS OFFER. THOSE OF US LIKE MYSELF ABSOLUTELY ENJOY AND VALUE THE DEPTH THAT PC SYSTEMS OFFER AND TO DUMB IT DOWN FOR AN XBOX OR ANOTHER CONSOLE SYSTEM DEFEATS THE ENTIRE REASON SOME OF US GO TO PC TO BEGIN WITH.

Please, if you want to make a game for them, then do so but don't make the same damn game for us as well. I would rather NOT play your software at all than deal with that 'port' crap that software companies do.

PC GAMING IS NOT CONSOLE GAMING, THEY ARE NOT THE SAME! THEY BOTH CANNOT DO THE EXACT SAME THINGS! TO MAKE THEM BOTH THE SAME JUST ALIENATES THE PEOPLE WHO WOULD RATHER USE THE HOME OFFICE TO USE A COMPUTER THAN A SOFA AND A BIG SCREEN TV. WE DO THIS FOR A REASON OUT OF A DESIRE FOR MORE THAN WHAT THE CONSOLES CAN DO...PLEASE UNDERSTAND THIS.

Last edited by Budthewise: 05-26-2012 at 01:11 PM.
Old 05-26-2012, 08:56 PM   #9
Tiamatt

If ward sliver had to be in the game(which I disagree with) it would be a one of AT MOST. Seriously unless the sliver deck is awful it will win games all by itself with the opponent completely helpless to do anything about it. As for Steel Overseer I also would've been against it being in the game for similar reasons, the only thing that makes it semi-tolerable is that machinations is a low-tier deck, something I'm sure they were forced to do just because of Steel Overseer. And since I don't want a similar fate to happen to sliver deck, I would keep cards like Ward/Steel Overseer out just so we're not stuck with other crappy cards to compensate for the OP ones.

And another big fat NO to any major changes to cards. It would only serve to PO veterns that know better, plus it's 100% unnecessary since there's a real sliver that gives shroud. Also they would never make DOTP-only cards, nor should they since there's tons of real cards they can use. Lastly it would only be a sign of terrible design if multiple decks were made unplayable just because they're mono colored and getting steamrolled by a single card, especially in a game like DOTP where deck options are very limited.

Sadly enough I'm too tired to respond to the rest, hope this will tide you over.
Tiamatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 08:36 PM   #10
Budthewise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiamatt View Post
If ward sliver had to be in the game(which I disagree with) it would be a one of AT MOST. Seriously unless the sliver deck is awful it will win games all by itself with the opponent completely helpless to do anything about it. As for Steel Overseer I also would've been against it being in the game for similar reasons, the only thing that makes it semi-tolerable is that machinations is a low-tier deck, something I'm sure they were forced to do just because of Steel Overseer. And since I don't want a similar fate to happen to sliver deck, I would keep cards like Ward/Steel Overseer out just so we're not stuck with other crappy cards to compensate for the OP ones.

And another big fat NO to any major changes to cards. It would only serve to PO veterns that know better, plus it's 100% unnecessary since there's a real sliver that gives shroud. Also they would never make DOTP-only cards, nor should they since there's tons of real cards they can use. Lastly it would only be a sign of terrible design if multiple decks were made unplayable just because they're mono colored and getting steamrolled by a single card, especially in a game like DOTP where deck options are very limited.

Sadly enough I'm too tired to respond to the rest, hope this will tide you over.
Good point. When I was playing MtG using cards though, I went to Slivers just for the Ward one and how I hated removal taking out a key block of my strategy. However, I would just be happy for a Sliver deck and really would like to see ArchEnemy mode and stuff with EVERYONE or at least the squad of three just using Slivers. I do like lots of other things the deck offers though and even without ward it would be fun.

It is true that the Terrerets Artifact deck is rather weak other than that one card. Honestly to open up the entire decks of some of the styles I couldn't care much about, I would often spam my playing against him.

I sorta disagree with your opinion of Ward Sliver BUT I do understand it. However to counter your complaint with the idea, with the new cash in that WotC do making decks and adding cards with no new addition, they could add cards in EACH deck to help with this or add a counter to that effect. If nothing else, people will buy the new addon to counter the deck.

While I would like to have four of the Ward Slivers, I would be okay for just two but I surely want the other slivers that make up for it. However...been so long that I forgot the names of them, just effects they offer...if they add the Sliver that grants all of them Shadow or Flying, it could be just as hard to beat as the Ward sliver offers.

I find it hard to just accept that Blue can just flat out cancel or counter 95% of my spells while Red can just burn off the main threat with ease. I would be nice to flat out play around those games and be able to beat Green at what it does best with time - creature combat. But back to my point, WotC didn't neuter those decks so why should this one be neutered? I mean Ward sliver cost rather much for the power it offers anyways.
Old 05-27-2012, 08:38 PM   #11
Budthewise

Adding to it, I played Slivers not for the Ward one but what the ENTIRE group offered, protection by itself is rather weak without something to back it up on and lets be honest - Slivers often don't do much other than have creatures.

They could, but they often would rather cast a new sliver to help at their squad. And besides, the Ward Sliver cost five mana and even with Gemhide out (Oddly I remember his name)it still take quite a few turns or a hellava hand to pull off before turn four.

Lets be honest, Blue has cards to allow another turn, White can global wipe the board several times over, Green can trample the hell out of you with ease and so on. My point is that THEY are allowed to do all of this so I don't think it will break the game to allow it here.

Last edited by Budthewise: 05-27-2012 at 08:44 PM.
Old 05-28-2012, 01:42 PM   #12
DeadlyFred

I'd rather just have more decks. There are multitudes of existing theme decks which could be incorporated into this game.
DeadlyFred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 03:30 PM   #13
Budthewise

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadlyFred View Post
I'd rather just have more decks. There are multitudes of existing theme decks which could be incorporated into this game.
I also agree with you here. However, we all have our favorites and the one I posted about I want the most of them. However, more decks even without Slivers would be nice to have.

------------------------

Updated later on, that one deck that they made called Beknighted with the pretty girl as an avatar, they have three Knight Exemplars and with two out, no knight can die and can block anything. With them having that, three ward slivers doesn't seem that bad. (Okay two is still fine but still.)

Last edited by Budthewise: 05-29-2012 at 07:51 PM.
Old 05-29-2012, 08:07 PM   #14
PolarisOrbit

DOTP2012 taught me to hate tribal decks. They are so boring to play against.

More decks with weaker themes (like Dark Heavens, for instance) would be my preference.

A big 'NO' to more tribal decks, especially strong ones.
PolarisOrbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 01:42 AM   #15
strikerbolt

IMO, I wouldn't mind a sliver deck if it were a Conflux (or is it Sunburst? 5-color? ) deck.
strikerbolt is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > M - P > Magic: The Gathering series > Duels of the Planeswalkers