Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > T - Z > Waveform

Old 04-11-2012, 02:55 AM   #1
inspiral66

Music-driven Waveform?

I've posted elsewhere that I've thrown in the towel with Waveform, which is a shame, but that doesn't stop me from having a soft spot for the game and thinking of ways the game mechanic could be developed.

I wonder, would it be possible to have a beat-oriented mode? Think of Audiosurf and Turba, where the notes in your fave songs generate different colours and patterns, while the beat dictates the pace. Maybe the current build of Waveform would not permit such tinkering. Perhaps it's an idea for Waveform 2 (or 3!)?
Old 04-11-2012, 09:40 AM   #2
EdenIndustries

Great idea inspiral, and one that I'm actually already in the process of developing! I alluded to this as well in your other post about uninstalling Waveform, but this feature is likely coming soon as a built-in expansion pack to the game, so I hope you'll pick up the towel and keep enjoying the game as this, and other new content, is developed!
EdenIndustries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 11:16 AM   #3
inspiral66

Oh boy, that sounds awesome.
inspiral66 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 01:15 PM   #4
EdenIndustries

Quote:
this would be very exciting.. good idea man..
Glad you're interested! I've got flibitijibibo on tap to help me with this once he's done the Mac and Linux ports. You can keep track of his progress here: http://forums.steampowered.com/forum....php?t=2661552

I recently helped him port the multi-threading code to be platform independent, so I think things are coming along quite nicely!
Old 05-30-2012, 08:15 PM   #5
GuyStar

Going to buy the game because of these posts. Was on the edge, but the idea of this game being another Music-driven one pushed me off the edge, face-first onto the field of owning this game.

Will the music-driven DLC be paid? I don't mind paying for it at all. But if it is paid, how much will it be?

Here's to hoping it's four dollars or less so that I can actually buy it with what little I have left in my steam wallet.
GuyStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 10:15 AM   #6
EdenIndustries

Quote:
Going to buy the game because of these posts. Was on the edge, but the idea of this game being another Music-driven one pushed me off the edge, face-first onto the field of owning this game.
Awesome! Glad to hear it

Quote:
Will the music-driven DLC be paid? I don't mind paying for it at all. But if it is paid, how much will it be?

Here's to hoping it's four dollars or less so that I can actually buy it with what little I have left in my steam wallet.
It'll be paid, but it'll certainly be four dollars or less. I haven't given the price much thought, but I can guarantee it won't be more than that. I'll be sure to post on here as progress develops!
Old 06-07-2012, 04:01 PM   #7
johnpeat

I'm not sure if this is the best idea ever or a hellish inferno of a thing...

Music-related games can be brilliant (Beat Hazard), OK (Audiosurf) or utterly terrible (almost every other game which uses 'your own music') - but whatever you do, please don't relate tempo or density of music to difficulty because - well - just because we like Metal doesn't mean we're really good at games (*coughs* most music-driven games *coughs*)
johnpeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 01:57 AM   #8
inspiral66

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnpeat View Post

Music-related games can be brilliant (Beat Hazard), OK (Audiosurf) or utterly terrible (almost every other game which uses 'your own music') - but whatever you do, please don't relate tempo or density of music to difficulty because - well - just because we like Metal doesn't mean we're really good at games (*coughs* most music-driven games *coughs*)
I don't know if you've tried Turba, but that's a pretty good music-driven game IMO. There are times when the auto-beat detector completely fails to recognise the beats in your track and the sound effects do mar the music a little (well, more than a little actually), but overall Turba is okay. More to the point, it doesn't punish you for listening to metal.
inspiral66 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 04:54 PM   #9
EdenIndustries

Quote:

I hope it's a good idea! Time will tell once we get a playable version . I hope to make it fun no matter what type of music you listen to.

Quote:
I don't know if you've tried Turba, but that's a pretty good music-driven game IMO
I haven't heard of that game actually, but I'll definitely give it a try for research!

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > T - Z > Waveform