Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > RAGE

Old 10-14-2011, 01:04 AM   #121
Vert1g0

Quote:
Originally Posted by zooterboy View Post
Does nothing for me, and I have no idsoftware folder under appdata\local.

core i7 920 @4GHz
12GB Corsair DDR3 1600
2 GTX480s
285.38 drivers
Thats because you have to create the folder bud. Once you make a new folder /id software/rage load up the game and load a saved game press escape and exit out the game and go back and you will see the /rage folder populated with cache files created by the game. Its a bug that id needs to fix but for now this is the only solution (I'm guessing) unless the recent patch does already.

Also please post some screenshots of before and after to verify that you correctly implemented the commands in the config.

Easy way for me was to load up a saved game on the beginning of Dead City with the ruined buildings and street sign and once I did the tweak noticed a hell of a difference. Its hard for me to believe that those with Nvidia 400-500 series cards don't notice a difference.
Vert1g0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 01:07 AM   #122
Vert1g0

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzfunk View Post
HUGE difference indeed.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/buzzfun...24610672294080

Just look at those shots. Looks close to the way RAGE was intended to look, I think. MUCH more enjoyable now and it's really a shame that a lot of people will not be able to enjoy it like this.
More like a few hundred lol. Love your screenshots though!
Vert1g0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 10:11 AM   #123
ildamos

It also works in the different direction; back when I first started RAGE (and couldn't run it), I used that GeForce guide to actually tone down my quality better. The game ran after that. I then experimented more and now I'm back on 8K textures with the game running smooth as silk. Here's my guide based on that article:

How to Solve the RAGE Texture Streaming Pop-in Bug
ildamos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 10:31 AM   #124
Joeblowshmoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by BizzyBum View Post
Since that patch introduced an Anisotropic Filter option in-game, do I need to add these 2 lines in the config or can I erase them and just use the 8192 textures?

vt_maxaniso 4
image_anisotropy 4
No. "high" AF in game menu, is 4x.
lol pathetic.
Joeblowshmoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 02:25 PM   #125
Inkizitor

Rage finally works

Hi ,

I just installed the last Nvidia drivers (285.62) and now the game is running PERFECTLY as it would have work since it's release.

I don't use any tweak since the last patch and I believe the appdata/cache is useless because I don't have any graphic problem anymore.

I run on a Win7 64bits, Core2 Q9400, 8gb ram, GTX 560ti 1gb

I just wanted to warn that the last nvidia drivers in combination with the last Rage patch make the game run smooth with no visual artefacts.

I recommand people to try it without anymore tweaks and cache folder to see if the problems have been resolved properly.

Best regards.
Old 10-26-2011, 03:36 PM   #126
shido

So i click the link telling me to make a cfg file and all then if you read the details about ID's rage patch it tells you to delete the cfg , i think thoses guys are even more confused then i am ...

''id Software has released a Rage patch, exposing many of the following tweaks in the in-game Options menu. Click here for complete details.''

Then they tell you how to make the cfg ...

But if you click for the complete details for ID's Rage patch ...

They tell you to delete the cfg as it can interfere with the patch ...

Did they start making the cfg for after the patch or they just tell you to forget it if you got the ID Rage patch , in other words this cfg config page is just a confusing waste for everyone that didnt go for the ID Rage patch ?

Last edited by shido: 10-26-2011 at 03:46 PM.
shido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 10:44 AM   #127
Ghostbreed

Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by shido View Post
So i click the link telling me to make a cfg file and all then if you read the details about ID's rage patch it tells you to delete the cfg , i think thoses guys are even more confused then i am ...

''id Software has released a Rage patch, exposing many of the following tweaks in the in-game Options menu. Click here for complete details.''

Then they tell you how to make the cfg ...

But if you click for the complete details for ID's Rage patch ...

They tell you to delete the cfg as it can interfere with the patch ...

Did they start making the cfg for after the patch or they just tell you to forget it if you got the ID Rage patch , in other words this cfg config page is just a confusing waste for everyone that didnt go for the ID Rage patch ?
^This,
Ghostbreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 03:28 PM   #128
darthmangafee

Quote:
Originally Posted by yatta View Post
Hi newb. Open the txt file, click file --> save as

type this, with the quotes:

"rageconfig.cfg"

press enter.
windows 7 hides known extensions. i guess it keeps people from accidentally changing a file type. if you like to see the extensions:

control panel > folder options > [tab] view > [box] uncheck 'hide extensions for known file types'

walla. now you can fiddle to your hearts content

just for peeps that don't already know.
darthmangafee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 03:03 PM   #129
Bacon Fury

Did not work for me. Am I doing something wrong?
Bacon Fury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 07:45 PM   #130
Solid Sawyer

I made that config file and it seems to have improved things. Stuff at distance has textures on them now instead of just being a blurry mess. I had my in-game settings maxed out except for Texture cache set to Small before. That's pretty dumb if you can't get the maximum settings unless you fool around outside of the game.
Solid Sawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 04:12 AM   #131
em_t_hed

creating this 'rageconfig.cfg' file didn't do anything.

trying to get the transcode/cuda to work, and nothing. game tells me insufficient memory or not compatible hardware.

Last edited by em_t_hed: 07-20-2012 at 04:15 AM.
em_t_hed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 04:15 AM   #132
Lavec

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacon Fury View Post
Did not work for me. Am I doing something wrong?
If you read the article and click on the link at the top you'll see that you no longer need to do this because patch 1.2 added this as in-game graphic options.

The original poster should update the original post to state this.
Lavec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 06:10 PM   #133
DarkByke

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bQM5h0JbL3c

It's come to my attention that enabling console disables Steam achievements (if you care about them). Just a heads up!

** Instead, within your steam library right click RAGE and select properties. Under the general tab click set launch options. Insert "+g_fov 110" (or whatever fov you want). Click ok, close and then run RAGE.
(tip by imm0dium) **
DarkByke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 03:45 PM   #134
ArkSteat

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravonous_curse View Post
Thers just 1 thing your forgetting. Even after you tweak it. Get closer to 1 of these 8k textures and marvel at its grainy, static luster. Please the problem is that the game uncompressed is still compressed a few fold to get it to make 22gigs. Megatextures was a bad idea.

Thank the console peasants and their 2004 Walmart eMachine era hardware.
Old 11-04-2012, 07:06 PM   #135
v00d00man

After lots of testing of rage behavior i must state that there are lot of misinformation and confusion in here, also some settings was locked after patch or was just placebo effect for people (FusedCore was especially successful in spreading misinformation about RAGE console cvars).

So i decided to share some proven and actual information i collected playing RAGE:

1) These texture tweaks does not affect actual texture resolution, it will remain same low res as console version had.

2) These texture settings in fact affects only distance of virtual texture pages. It works that way - higher resolution of VT means longer distance for VT texture "tiles" aka pages to remain in original resolution.
So it works almost like texture streaming lod cache settings.

3) At the current state of Rage (latest patch was released in Jan 2012) VT settings with 4096 equal to in-game LOW CACHE, and 8192 equal to HIGH CACHE, so there is no need to set vt_page size manualy as it already done by game. The only exception is if you want to set 16384 for everything.

4) High texture cache can be handled by any 1gb videocard with no problem and have minimum texture pop-in, while Low cache have a lot of it.

5)16k settings require 1.5 or more gb of VRAM, if you have 1 gb or less you will have "BTOD" (blue texture of death, lol), which means that game refuse to load such a big VT cache in your VRAM since it have less memory than this cache should take. 16k is almost useless in this game, only enhancing textures at very high distance, you can see such textures only on background props and at very limited number of high places. So until you really bothered by the fact that these rare places have low res lod textures on VERY distant rocks or building, dont mess with 16k.

6) Texture detail settings actually improve textures a little by real time upsampling, but performance cost is too big, and until you have really fast video card and process don set it on, or you will have less FPS and a lot of pop-ins.
You can also play with VT_UPSAMPLENOISE (default is 8, range is 0-255, set it to 4 to make it less annoying), VT_UPSAMPLESHARPEN (default is 96, range 0-255) and VT_UPSAMPLEFILTER (range 0-7, default is 3, 0 makes everything non filtered mincraft style, 1 have better performance, 7 is slide-show )

7) Anisotropy is broken in game, every time map loads or vt_restart applied, it gets reset to 2 (low settings) from 4. Setting it directly to 4 also no possible, need to set it to 0 then 4 to make it work. So you got to put this in your config
BIND M "image_anisotropy 1; vt_maxaniso 0; vt_maxaniso 4"
This will make textures less noisy and smoother at distance. Alos image_anisotropy should not be set to anything but 1. It doesnt work like before (1-16x values), it just ON or OFF 1\0. Also keel loadbias defaults vt_loadbias -2 and image_lodbias 0, or you will get a lot of mip flickering and anisotropy would not save your eyes from bleed.

8) Enabling cuda transcode could actually reduce performance on Nvidia cards and makes a lot of pop-ins on some older cards, so use your CPU isntead with MaxPPF 128 and 6 job threads in any case (core i7 starting from above 1.6ghz laptop editions is enought) with Nvidia.

9) Most of pre-patch console commands doesnt work anymore, including old fix for ugly color grading (green an purple shadows fix), so you should use r_skipglare 1, this will also makes image dark and grey. To make natural colors as vibrant as they was with colorgrading (vibrant but correct), set r_gamma 0.5 and r_brightness 1.5 . This make have a little side effect of oversaturated overlays with menues and loading screens, to fix that you can use less vibrant but optimized and still natural colors with r_gamma 0.6 and r_brigtness 1.2 (try brigtness 1.3 as well for some little fake bloom and gamma 0.5 for darker shadows).
Shadows and lighting related cvars are useless now.

10) last thing you can do now to improve visuals and actually performance - change texture compression settings to these:
mt_genCompression "DCT"
vt_vmtrcompression "DCT"
vt_qualityDCTChroma "100"
vt_qualityDCTLuma "100"
vt_qualityDCTNormal "100"
vt_qualityDCTPower "100"
vt_qualityDCTSpecular "100"
vt_qualityHDPLossless "1"
vt_qualityHDPDiffuse "0"
vt_qualityHDPNormal "0"
vt_qualityHDPPower "0"
vt_qualityHDPSpecular "0"

Difference between HDP and DCT compression at these settings is not visible, looks pretty same, but DCT have better performance, so stick to it.
Dont use any other settings such as uncompressed images. They will not enhance visuals, as default texture that loads into memory are already precompressed anyway and you already disable extra real-time re-compression by setting quallity to 100%. So leave it for sake of performance. Stange thing but setting compression to 100% quallity improved texture streaming for me, perhaps less compression mean less time to compress and decompress which means less texture pop-ins. I have zero of pop-ins now at settings likke that.

11) last tip related to console an achievements:
I found the way to use console without disabling achievements!
Its simple, bind "toggle com_allowconsole" to any key and put that bind into default.cfg in 1st section. For example:
BIND F10 "toggle com_allowconsole".
Remove com_allowconsolee from your configs and launch options!
Use in-game control options and pres "RESET TO DEFAULT" to let game hook that new bind.
From now, once you need to use console > press F10 to temporary enable console > press tilde to open it and do what you need > press it again to close it > press F10 again to disable console > press tilde again to check if console was disabled if it was, then you are free to continue game and get achivements after using console.
Just keep in mind one simple rule - once you pressed F10 and enabled console mode, DO NOT TRY TO SAVE GAME until you closed console and disabled console mode by pressing F10 again!
If you will save game with enabled console mode, this state would persist in save-game forever and you will considered as cheater and would not be allowed to gain achievements, but if you will do as i instucted, you would be able to use console and get achievements without problems. Just always check status of console before saving or going anywhere where autosave could be triggered, always make sure that console disabled before you go any further!

12) One more things i forgot to mention - if you have Nvidia card use FXAA driver settings (if disabled, use Nvidia inspector to force it for rage). It not just makes edges smoother with not performance cost (not like in-game AA), it also acts as little helper to anisotropy in game and smoothing some of distant mip flickering.
In case of ATI try to force MLAA or anyt other Post process AA.

Thats all for now.

Last edited by v00d00man: 11-04-2012 at 07:13 PM.
v00d00man is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > RAGE