Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > General Steam Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 06-03-2012, 09:33 PM   #76
Kyorisu

I liked how once upon a time a digital copy had no regional restrictions. Then Valve got greedy.
Old 06-03-2012, 09:39 PM   #77
s1234567890m

Quote:
don't know anything about law or anything, but that seems pretty.. lame.
lame=/=unlawfull
Old 06-04-2012, 05:05 AM   #78
jsmucha

Quote:
Originally Posted by s1234567890m View Post
lame=/=unlawfull
-Fair statement. But making Valve seem perfect doesn't seem right either (not directed at you s12).
Old 06-04-2012, 06:04 AM   #79
kvaker

here all talking like steam made all games and all rules ROFL

not steam making all games

game owners who made games put prices of games not steam

shortly and clear ?
Old 06-04-2012, 06:40 AM   #80
KrekerisT

Just checked retail Max Payne 3 prices and now im going to buy it. Awesome game just for 13$ in my region.
Old 06-04-2012, 08:49 AM   #81
crunchyfrog555

Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmucha View Post
-So, let's say I publish on Steam a game I made. I put a region restriction on it for countries in Latin America and the warning on the Steam page is in Spanish.

-When a person from the US buys the game they get a region restriction on it because the US is part of Latin America.

-That isn't false advertising on Valve's part, not even a little bit? Of course its shady business for the publisher, but Valve turning a blind eye on this obviously wrong practice is fine?

-I don't know anything about law or anything, but that seems pretty.. lame.
It's not illegal by any stretch.

But anyway, it might seem lame, but Valve are not to blame for this issue. Allow me to explain, by using your example.

You publish a game and put this restriction on it for Latin American countries. Now, explain to me how Valve have any legal ownership or rights to be able to say "you're not going to do that to YOUR product".

It's much the same as a brokerage, or If I rented space in a shop to conduct my own little business (often called "shop-in-shop" for the obvious reason), I can state and do whatever I want with my products. The shop owner cannot come along and say "I don't like that price - change it".

Now, do you see how that relates?
Old 06-05-2012, 12:56 AM   #82
minevittu

Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchyfrog555 View Post
.... but Valve are not to blame for this issue.
Sure, even reading the TOS, Valve is innocent like a newborn baby here.

Quote:
C. NO GUARANTEES.

VALVE DOES NOT GUARANTEE CONTINUOUS, ERROR-FREE, VIRUS-FREE OR SECURE OPERATION AND ACCESS TO STEAM, THE SOFTWARE, YOUR ACCOUNT AND/OR YOUR SUBSCRIPTIONS(S).

http://store.steampowered.com/subscriber_agreement/
Old 06-05-2012, 01:28 AM   #83
ImprovV

Quote:
Originally Posted by minevittu View Post
So expecting a correct service from Steam is non-sense? Good faith as a customer is considered a stupidity? What is this Wild West or nr 1 Digital Distribution Service?

But even stupid and foolishly Steam-loyal overpaying customers deserve to get a correct product and service.
Those are Americans for you bud. Bend over to Corporations and act like they are God. If you dare disagree you are a dirty lying godless commie.
Old 06-05-2012, 05:08 AM   #84
jsmucha

Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchyfrog555 View Post
It's not illegal by any stretch.

But anyway, it might seem lame, but Valve are not to blame for this issue. Allow me to explain, by using your example.

You publish a game and put this restriction on it for Latin American countries. Now, explain to me how Valve have any legal ownership or rights to be able to say "you're not going to do that to YOUR product".

It's much the same as a brokerage, or If I rented space in a shop to conduct my own little business (often called "shop-in-shop" for the obvious reason), I can state and do whatever I want with my products. The shop owner cannot come along and say "I don't like that price - change it".

Now, do you see how that relates?
-I see. The least they could do is put it in the right language.. I guess. But I suppose that is just extra work for 'em and we're waiting for some other stuff from them.
Old 06-05-2012, 09:41 AM   #85
wychunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kvaker View Post
here all talking like steam made all games and all rules ROFL

not steam making all games

game owners who made games put prices of games not steam

shortly and clear ?
Steam doesn't make any games. Valve makes games. Steam is just a DD service.

Shortly and clear?
Old 06-05-2012, 09:49 AM   #86
crunchyfrog555

Banned
Quote:
Sure, even reading the TOS, Valve is innocent like a newborn baby here.
That a contractual clause to absolve liability. Entirely different to the context here.

You're blaming THEM for a product that is not theirs, and they have no legal right to. They simply cannot go around changing things without the owner's say-so.

I think you're being blinded by your dislike here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmucha View Post
-I see. The least they could do is put it in the right language.. I guess. But I suppose that is just extra work for 'em and we're waiting for some other stuff from them.
Yup, pretty much. But as I've said above, Valve just can't take it upon themselves to change anything without getting the nod from the owners. Otherwise, should THEY then make a mistake, they would be liable for it.

Last edited by crunchyfrog555: 06-05-2012 at 09:51 AM.
Old 06-05-2012, 04:44 PM   #87
minevittu

Banned
Me as a customer, I don't care. I have business with Valve. They are my direct contact I buy from. What kind of secret contracts or deals they have with publishers is not my business. To me, they are responsible for providing reliable and trustworthy service.

The same goes about Steam service. If one day Valve decides to run all their servers on potato power and everything goes down you wont probably say "it's more like a bad potatoes fault than Valve's".
Old 06-05-2012, 05:52 PM   #88
Planeforger

Quote:
Me as a customer, I don't care. I have business with Valve. They are my direct contact I buy from. What kind of secret contracts or deals they have with publishers is not my business. To me, they are responsible for providing reliable and trustworthy service.

The same goes about Steam service. If one day Valve decides to run all their servers on potato power and everything goes down you wont probably say "it's more like a bad potatoes fault than Valve's".
That analogy has nothing to do with what you're complaining about.

How about...um, this:
If Valve started selling potatoes on Steam (or a new Steam-like service called Spud), and Norway's laws prevented people from importing potatoes into that country, who should Norwegians blame for their lack of potatoes - Valve, or the laws preventing Valve from shipping potatoes there?

Clearly, in that case, you'd blame the law, and the people who made those laws. Valve can't do anything about the situation.

So why should it be any different when Valve are selling games? Valve sell games on Steam, and the publishers' 'laws'/contracts prevent certain games from showing up in certain countries (or they're really expensive). Why blame Valve in this situation? They have just as much control as they did in shipping potatoes to Norway.
Old 06-05-2012, 07:02 PM   #89
crunchyfrog555

Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by Planeforger View Post

How about...um, this:
If Valve started selling potatoes on Steam (or a new Steam-like service called Spud), and Norway's laws prevented people from importing potatoes into that country, who should Norwegians blame for their lack of potatoes - Valve, or the laws preventing Valve from shipping potatoes there?

Clearly, in that case, you'd blame the law, and the people who made those laws. Valve can't do anything about the situation.

So why should it be any different when Valve are selling games? Valve sell games on Steam, and the publishers' 'laws'/contracts prevent certain games from showing up in certain countries (or they're really expensive). Why blame Valve in this situation? They have just as much control as they did in shipping potatoes to Norway.
Precisely. It's clear who owns what, and who's responsible for what.

To say as Minevittu has, is completely blasé, and very wrong.
Old 06-06-2012, 05:47 AM   #90
jsmucha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Planeforger View Post

How about...um, this:

-You are missing the point, but technically your message still stands though. OP doesn't live in Norway (figuratively). He lives in.. say Poland but Steam's page says in Swedish that Steam doesn't sell to Poland.
Closed Thread

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > General Steam Discussion