Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > General Steam Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 06-04-2012, 07:51 AM   #8491
HazySarkany

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaiserTroll123 View Post
And as an article I read once asid, usually even when developpers try to add settings so that disabled gamers can play their games, they tend to specialize on a single disability. Some games have a special setting for folor blind people, others with controls for physically disabled gamers (like the optional controls in Legend of Grimrock added for a disabled gamer who uses a mouthstick), but rarely -if ether- is there a game who has multiple disabilities worked on.
Ugh. And you have to get your return on that investment back in *one game*, because each one is going to need someone to QA test it.

That stuff needs to be pushed back into the engine.

And it would be useful to have some kind of testing harness so that while in test mode it would log a bug report that says, "Colorblind people are going to totally miss this part."

You can go broke testing software though.
Old 06-04-2012, 08:40 AM   #8492
radicalnetwork

Quote:
Originally Posted by AraxisHT View Post
Paying the minimum in a pay-what-you-want bundle is like running around someone else's house in your underwear and consuming all their food because they said "Make yourself at home."
No it isn't, even if your comparison is very funny and i appreciated it, i think it's pretty inaccurate.
What you talk about is, uhm, "friendship abuse", but this is not the case with Humble Bundle or any bundle in general.
Those bundles are made to make money, there is no "friendship" or other feeling involved, they sell a product (for profit AND for good causes) and they set a minimum price. Setting a minimum price means they're ok with that, and since they're a company and not cute-elves-who-gift-games i'm sure they know what they're doing.
That said, i have never paid less than 1 $ for a bundle and i think it's quite rude/low to pay 1 cent., but that's only MY perspective and i think that if 1 cent. is ok for Humble Bundle guys, then nobody should feel bad for paying that little.
Old 06-04-2012, 09:43 AM   #8493
hawkinzzz

I've only read the last two pages, but why does everybody seem to be missing the point that if everybody pays 1 cent the bundles cost the organisers money and there could be no more indie bundles. Even if the bundles make a little money on $1 sales it would be hard to find developers willing to put their games up in exchange for pocket change and reducing the number of gamers who might pay full price.

The business model - which is a really, really nice one for consumers - depends on people not being a and ruining it for developers and consumers alike.
Old 06-04-2012, 09:59 AM   #8494
crunchyfrog555

Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjfoo View Post
How about if someone pay HiB $1000 with all his money goes to a charity? Do you see it as a rip-off to the developers?

There is no right or wrong. HiB decided to adapt this PWYW system, the developers decided to participate in this promotion (and/or charity) and the customers decides what he want to pay (and what he want to do with his keys). It seems to be just decisions.

Let's stop this pointless, lengthy argument, please. I will not make further comments on this.
And this is why trying to discuss things with Girlpower is an exercise in futility. She will wriggle and back-peddle out of a statement she originally made, and will NEVER apologise for misinterpretation or just plain getting it wrong.

I made the point about empathy using an example of why some people might pay a small amount, and she goes and twists it, by intimating I meant it for ALL examples.

Anyway, the point is entirely moot. The Bundle creators are prepared for such payments, and have made statements that they're find with it.

To pass judgement is what leads to more elitism.
Old 06-04-2012, 10:14 AM   #8495
targetbsp

Why the hell was this even brought up again? Haven't all possible view points and opinions about bundle pricing been expressed long ago? Who was bored enough to re-open this can of worms? lol
Old 06-04-2012, 10:20 AM   #8496
radicalnetwork

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkinzzz View Post
I've only read the last two pages, but why does everybody seem to be missing the point that if everybody pays 1 cent the bundles cost the organisers money and there could be no more indie bundles. Even if the bundles make a little money on $1 sales it would be hard to find developers willing to put their games up in exchange for pocket change and reducing the number of gamers who might pay full price.

The business model - which is a really, really nice one for consumers - depends on people not being a and ruining it for developers and consumers alike.
This is absolutely true, but if they still keep their pricing policy that means it somehow works, looking at how much the Humble Bundles raise it's clear that only a small small percentage of their customers pay some cents., and if the organizers are not bothered by them (otherwise they would set a higher minimum) why should we? Who am i to criticize something that is ok for those who organize it and for (a small small percentage of) their customers? As long as it's fine for them, it's fine for me too.
Old 06-04-2012, 10:25 AM   #8497
kartana

Quote:
Originally Posted by AraxisHT View Post
Paying the minimum in a pay-what-you-want bundle is like running around someone else's house in your underwear and consuming all their food because they said "Make yourself at home."
This makes no sense. I know what you'r getting at but it is 'pay what you want' for a reason... so that you can pay what YOU want. It the same for 'all you can eat'.
Old 06-04-2012, 10:43 AM   #8498
CaractacusRex

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkinzzz View Post

The entire debate kind of misses the point.

The Pay What You Want model is a variant of the Capitalist model. Set a single price of £10 a game in a crowded market and you price out a number of consumers who can only afford so many games per year.

Allow people to pay what you want and you allow your poor customers to buy the product cheaply and not be left out, while those who can afford it are able and willing to give way more than the rrp.

When there's almost zero cost in terms of supply of the product, as is the case with digital, then low cost sales do not eat into possible profits. Especially when the big sales, as we've seen in HiB, push profits into the hundreds of thousands.

Of course in other Bundles, without the profile, that hasn't been as successful. But still, it's a very viable business model if you get the marketing right, which HiB have done.

So yes, if you have more, give more if you feel it is right. If you have less, that's the whole point, so you don't have to bankrupt yourself to get the product. Pay what you can afford. If that's $1 or 1cent.
Old 06-04-2012, 11:41 AM   #8499
Liderangel

You can activate Airmech (Beta) on Steam OP.
Old 06-04-2012, 12:17 PM   #8500
Hackt0r

http://www.indiegamemag.com/indie-sp...etails-inside/

http://marlamin.com/cdr/view.php?type=sub&id=14943
Old 06-04-2012, 12:22 PM   #8501
TheRevanchist

O not this discussion again. Hasn't this dead horse been beaten to death enough already? (IRONY ALRET! )
Old 06-04-2012, 12:22 PM   #8502
Akinox

Nice find
Old 06-04-2012, 12:28 PM   #8503
paratech2008

What I don't understand is if the Indie Humble Bundle is ok with people buying their bundles cheap, why is it anyone else's business to condemn people for buying the bundles?

I pay ~ $5 minimum for most bundles out of choice. But it isn't anyone's business to tell others how they should spend their money.

Frag, if people want to feel bad, they should for the build a bundle and the Gala 5 bundle, their games may not be as good as the Indie Humble Bundle 5, but one offers buying 3 or more games, you get to pick 'em, for ~ $1 each, and the other has ~ 10 games for $6. Both bundles are good and not getting support.
Old 06-04-2012, 01:02 PM   #8504
mrocznysrom

I guess it will be a part of midweek madness tomorrow.
Old 06-04-2012, 01:32 PM   #8505
MikeGamer

you think this stupid discussion moralholics bring here is bad?

wait for the bemine3 bundle to release...
Closed Thread

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > General Steam Discussion