Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > Stronghold series > Stronghold 3

Old 05-21-2012, 01:49 PM   #16
MaKno

Seems we now have the Stronghold 3 Limited Edition
If you can't fight the lag - sag!

Last edited by MaKno: 05-21-2012 at 01:53 PM.
MaKno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 03:14 AM   #17
Alpha11

Quote:
Originally Posted by stronger View Post
Unlimited.
Unfortunately this was unsustainable, especially with four players.
It's not possible to play a four player game!
Alpha11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 05:43 AM   #18
lifeX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centro1337 View Post
All in all the game is very good. But there are still details I would change, just check out my bugreport!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Centro1337 View Post
It is pretty bad. Lots of bugs. This game is a shame. I want my money back. Firefly released 11 patches. And it's not much better.
You have changed your opinion really fast within a few days. Is the game really that bad??
lifeX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 05:58 AM   #19
Centro1337

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeX View Post
You have changed your opinion really fast within a few days. Is the game really that bad??
I made the first post before I finished the game; all in all the game is really bad. FireFly don't want to fix bugs and the game is still not done. Not many people are working on Stronghold 3, so it will take month if firefly would continue patching Stronghold 3.
Centro1337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 05:22 PM   #20
fenk

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanogasm View Post
I'm curious to hear some more comments on this as well.

Also interested to hear more about the 'free build' feature. Does it let you set up enemy conditions, like skirmish play? Good replayability? I'm not someone who typically plays campaigns.
According to the cummulative fix list (http://bit.ly/sh3pfull), they have added those options, so maybe we can have a sandboxy pseudo-skirmish.

I do like to play campaigns, but Stronghold 3 was so buggy and unfinished when it launched that I struggled 12 hours with it and uninstalled. I'm installing it again right now. While I still think we got scammed (willingly or not), I still hope to be able to milk some enjoyment from this skinny cow.

I just realized I'm still angry about this game, and I'd still love to see Angry Joe tear it apart.

Props for all the patches though! And hoping this is not true: http://forums.steampowered.com/forum....php?t=2725154
fenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 02:02 AM   #21
stronger

FireFly Studios
fenk,
We'd love to hear back from you on how you're finding the game playing from v1.10.
If you've owned Stronghold 3 for sometime, which by the sounds of it you have, you should receive the Blackstaff Campaign and Historical Campaigns as well.
stronger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 12:25 PM   #22
fenk

I pre-ordered the game, and it didn't last a week in my hard drive. I've been playing it again.

tl;dr: Much better, but try before you buy.

I must say all the game-breaking bugs seem to be fixed. It no longer feels incomplete to me, and I'll be playing the campaign at long last. Loading times are still crazy (EDIT: just bad in free build, great in campaign so far), and performance is... well, not good. Didn't try multiplayer. I usually play LAN, and sadly my friends won't get anywhere close to this game after all that's happened.

I'm not very excited about it, but I'll keep it installed and probably play it every now and then. Also, I was very, very glad to see that I'd been upgraded to the Gold version for free. That was nice! Thank you.

When a game feels overpriced it's usually because one can't imagine where the money got spent (simple or short games, low production value, etc). In the case of Stronghold 3, I understand very well why this could be a 50€ game, had it been done right. On paper it sounds amazing, it has the scope of a triple-A title, but indie game design and seemingly poor execution/management.

I'm sure the amount of hours that went into its development require the current price, and you will still be struggling financially, specially after its disastrous launch. But as I said, all those man hours just don't seem like they were put to good use.

I feel like I bought a slightly overpriced game instead of an incomplete one, which is certainly an improvement, and I thank you for putting the effort in fixing it.

I sincerely hope Firefly finds the way to find where they went wrong and never fall in the same trap again. You guys have great potential, and I'll keep watching you. From a safe distance.

Last edited by fenk: 05-31-2012 at 12:49 PM.
fenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 05:32 PM   #23
ttyork

current play

Been playing every version of Stronghold since the first one and I would say this one, while retaining much of the feel of the originals in economics and buildings for some reason runs like hell. Even back on Crusader, with a way-obsolete system fighting 8 other lords, I never had such snail paced lag affecting the game until there were hundred of villagers, soldiers, animals, etc. all moving at the same time. In this version, the game lags immediately which is completely not acceptable. Yes, I understand that newer games require better systems, but this is an i7, quad-core system with an excellent video card that has run every game I've ever played on ultra-high settings without any lag at all. Ever. Now this game loads slow, runs slow, has jerking lag-induced screen movement, soldiers who don't go where the enemies are because it takes too long to scroll the screen, etc. In my opinion, that leads me to conclude that whatever new and improved things this version contains are not well integrated.
ttyork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 01:17 PM   #24
lucifercrow514

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttyork View Post
Been playing every version of Stronghold since the first one and I would say this one, while retaining much of the feel of the originals in economics and buildings for some reason runs like hell. Even back on Crusader, with a way-obsolete system fighting 8 other lords, I never had such snail paced lag affecting the game until there were hundred of villagers, soldiers, animals, etc. all moving at the same time. In this version, the game lags immediately which is completely not acceptable. Yes, I understand that newer games require better systems, but this is an i7, quad-core system with an excellent video card that has run every game I've ever played on ultra-high settings without any lag at all. Ever. Now this game loads slow, runs slow, has jerking lag-induced screen movement, soldiers who don't go where the enemies are because it takes too long to scroll the screen, etc. In my opinion, that leads me to conclude that whatever new and improved things this version contains are not well integrated.
Do you use Fraps by any chance? If so can you give us an estimate of fps your getting?
lucifercrow514 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 11:02 AM   #25
whitknight25

I'd try running it as admin as well.
whitknight25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 03:04 PM   #26
lifeX

It is very sad to see that the game has SO MUCH POTENTIAL but makes no use of it. Atmosphere, gameplay and sound are great but the game lags like hell. What the game needs above all, is fine-tuning and optimization!
lifeX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 10:53 PM   #27
eagleFMJ

I still can't get over the fact that this game doesn't have skirmish mode still. One big reason why this game is an epic fail.

eagle
eagleFMJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > Stronghold series > Stronghold 3