Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > VAC Discussion

Old 06-08-2012, 09:51 AM   #61
GDL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikouen View Post
It would be far more accurate to state that VAC worked perfectly in those instances - the bans were actually caused by human error.
Just out of interest, who was to blame for the Virus\Malware issue?

Except the user for not updaing the software on their machine of course lol.
GDL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 09:59 AM   #62
kakkerlak

Banned
no need to install any malware in the first place.
sandboxie or many other tools are free to use , malware is user error.
kakkerlak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 01:35 PM   #63
Mikouen

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDL View Post
Just out of interest, who was to blame for the Virus\Malware issue?
Well, I wouldn't want to speculate on that specific instance without gathering some facts on it first. I'm only comfortable commenting on the MW2 fiasco because I was around when the pooch got screwed.

My point was simply that non-heuristic systems have no decision-making capabilities - they just carry out the exact instructions specified by the programmer.
Mikouen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 03:04 PM   #64
GDL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikouen View Post
Well, I wouldn't want to speculate on that specific instance without gathering some facts on it first. I'm only comfortable commenting on the MW2 fiasco because I was around when the pooch got screwed.

My point was simply that non-heuristic systems have no decision-making capabilities - they just carry out the exact instructions specified by the programmer.
So if VAC is 100% at banning for what it knows is a cheat, yet Valve screw the pooch and VAC bans for something that isn't, Valve take the blame, conviennent setup.

I would agree under that conditions that VAC is 100% as it's not VAC's fault that what it bans for sometimes isn't a cheat, Valve just suck at giving it information sometimes.

Last edited by heffebaycay: 06-09-2012 at 05:54 AM.
GDL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 01:47 AM   #65
Jeepaz

Umm am I the only one that can't activate Steam Guard? I honestly don't know how to fix and I'd LOVE to activate it again. =/
Jeepaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 01:50 AM   #66
kakkerlak

Banned
try starting steam in windows safemode+networking.
no you are not the only one , there are some threads about it.
Old 06-09-2012, 04:20 AM   #67
LeeOmega

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdg50legomaster View Post
Don't cheat, and use common sense to keep your account safe. No worries.
Im sorry, but this is not true, I have been VAC Banned for doing nothing that was against the terms and conditions, and I ALSO Checked the Developers online rules, and I didn't break them, and now I am trying to ask steam support Who I can contact, and after about 4 weeks, I still have them saying we can not support you, and They have don't nothing what-so-ever, and to who-ever said its 100% Accurate, its not, I have steam guard enabled, and I get a Email on my phone, which has a very loud alert when I get a message, so No-one has been on my account, I have not received a virus on my computer, or have any form of hacking software, so as I said before, I have not broken any rules, and I am still banned, and I before anyone asks how do I know that I have not been infected by a virus? Because I get asked about every time a Network connection is made.a
LeeOmega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 04:24 AM   #68
kakkerlak

Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeOmega View Post
Im sorry, but this is not true, I have been VAC Banned for doing nothing that was against the terms and conditions, and I ALSO Checked the Developers online rules, and I didn't break them, and now I am trying to ask steam support Who I can contact, and after about 4 weeks, I still have them saying we can not support you, and They have don't nothing what-so-ever, and to who-ever said its 100% Accurate, its not, I have steam guard enabled, and I get a Email on my phone, which has a very loud alert when I get a message, so No-one has been on my account, I have not received a virus on my computer, or have any form of hacking software, so as I said before, I have not broken any rules, and I am still banned, and I before anyone asks how do I know that I have not been infected by a virus? Because I get asked about every time a Network connection is made.a
never mind I did not read it right.

Last edited by kakkerlak: 06-09-2012 at 04:51 AM.
Old 06-09-2012, 05:09 AM   #69
NabsterHax

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeOmega View Post
You cannot claim VAC doesn't work when you don't know what caused your ban. If support told you that you were correctly banned then someone DID have access to your account and DID cause that ban. Just because you don't know how or why, doesn't mean the ban was illegitimate.
NabsterHax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 07:04 AM   #70
Satoru

Quote:
VAC Banned for doing nothing that was against the terms and conditions, and I ALSO Checked the Developers online rules, and I didn't break them
I'm noticing a distinct lack of 'I did not cheat', but a rather interesting 'dance' around the issue. I'm going to guess that you're going to pull the "I didn't 'impact' anyone's playing so I didn't violate the SSA" or some other such esoteric nonsense. If I have to get into another argument that a memory editor isn't 'cheating' I'm going to seriously strangle someone.

Last edited by Satoru: 06-09-2012 at 08:52 AM.
Satoru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 02:27 PM   #71
quickanddead

Quote:
Originally Posted by drgnzach View Post
I have never cheated, now would I ever cheat, but it kinda feels like theres a weight dangling over my head thats ready to fall any minute. I CONSTANTLY have to worry about some error tripping the ban, and mods like Cry of Fear banning people doesnt help.
errors,crashes(im 100000000% sure for crashes because my game crashes dozens of times daily because they screwed up with nvidia drivers,and i should have been like millions of times),unexpected power shortage wont trigger VAC ban. Cheats will,custom huds,sounds,mods,skins are things to be careful about. Also dont use anything that comes with installer or "injectors". Dont swap .dll or .exe files of games and you will be fine.
quickanddead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 02:45 PM   #72
Tito Shivan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satoru View Post
If I have to get into another argument that a memory editor isn't 'cheating' I'm going to seriously strangle someone.
Cheat-o-matic much?
Tito Shivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 07:01 AM   #73
TimppaPro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Joe View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Satoru View Post
You can avoid a VAC ban by

1) Keep your account safe. Enable SteamGuard. Don't reuse passwords. Don't download bad things from the internet. Enable any secondary authentication on your email as well. Do not allow ANYONE TO USE YOUR COMPUTER EVER.

2) DO NOT CHEAT EVER. Do not cheat even in single player.

Do these and you have nothing to worry about
Lolz, do some research bro.

Here comes a fact:

Using Paranoia mod dll files = not cheating = VAC ban.

What now?
"Don't download bad things from the internet."
DLL files are considered a cheat because they are used to manipulate the game. There is no way for an anti-cheat to tell if it is a mod or a cheat.
TimppaPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 12:18 AM   #74
CTRL ALT DEL !

Paranoia replaces opengl32.dll and is therefore considered a cheat.

All these do the same thing (Paranoia Mod, Cry of Fear Mod, Half-Life FX Single and Half-Life FX Lost in Black Mesa)

You must delete that opengl32.dll before you can safely play the host game or other multiplayer mods.
CTRL ALT DEL ! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 12:59 AM   #75
Berent

Don't play on vac secured servers.
Berent is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > VAC Discussion