Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > # - C > ARMA series > ARMA 2: Operation Arrowhead

Old 06-17-2012, 07:14 AM   #1
spartan0078

What do I need to get the DayZ mod running?

Sorry if it's been posted. But I've been looking at ARMA for awhile now and I think DayZ is pushing me over the edge to purchase it. But what game do I need to run DayZ?

ARMA II
ARMA II: Operation Arrowhead
ARMA II: Combined Assault

Which one do I need to buy to insure I can play the mod?

Thanks in advance!

*EDIT* Now I'm even more confused What's this about max graphics being locked unless I spend 50 dollars on the game? I'm not saying the game isn't worth 50 bucks, but for someone like me, who has no clue about the game and is taking a shot in the dark at buying a game I have no idea about, it worries me.

Last edited by spartan0078: 06-17-2012 at 09:00 AM.
Old 06-17-2012, 09:09 AM   #2
Rogersdead

There are countless threads about this. And even clicking Combined Ops on steam will tell you what it contains, which is Arma 2 and Operation Arrowhead (hence why it's called Combined Ops) so no offence but you clearly have done no research atall have you? Even basic stuff.

DayZ is a modification of Arma 2. And requires some work to get it running ie installing the Arma 2 beta manually aswell as the actual DayZ code. So no offence again but if you buy it whilst having 'no clue about the game' you are going to get nowhere.

Visit the official site and read the new players stickies in the forums etc. Everything you could want to know about the mod is there and easy to find. If you help yourself just a little bit rather than expecting someone to spoon feed you every bit of information then you'll find the whole experience much less confusing.
Rogersdead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 09:10 AM   #3
spartan0078

didnt know they had their own forums...sorry...

And yes, I have no clue about the game; but you have to start somewhere. WHich is why I asked for some information here. I googled the mod multiple times asking what it requires and the searches never went beyond system requirements, which I know about already, they never reffered to what versions of the game it required.

Theres no reason to get snotty, I dont expect anyone to spoon feed me, I just couldnt find the tiny piece of information I required to start with. Not once did the dayz page come up when I googled about it.
spartan0078 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 10:56 AM   #4
allknowingsquid

You need Combined Ops. Combined Ops is just Arma 2 and Operation Arrowhead combined.

DayZ also uses content from one of the DLCs (PMC). If you don't buy PMC, no problem, DayZ will work just fine and you won't be limited at all in gameplay. However, you will have very low resolution textures for whichever PMC content DayZ uses (I don't know which content that is, I've had PMC since it came out).

So the skinny:
If you only want to play DayZ and you don't mind some objects having very low resolution textures, buy Combined Ops.
If the low resolution textures bother you enough to justify the cost, buy Combined Ops and PMC.
allknowingsquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 12:04 PM   #5
Rogersdead

Quote:
Originally Posted by allknowingsquid View Post
You need Combined Ops. Combined Ops is just Arma 2 and Operation Arrowhead combined.

DayZ also uses content from one of the DLCs (PMC). If you don't buy PMC, no problem, DayZ will work just fine and you won't be limited at all in gameplay. However, you will have very low resolution textures for whichever PMC content DayZ uses (I don't know which content that is, I've had PMC since it came out).

So the skinny:
If you only want to play DayZ and you don't mind some objects having very low resolution textures, buy Combined Ops.
If the low resolution textures bother you enough to justify the cost, buy Combined Ops and PMC.
The DLC textures only apply to a few models ie the 'survivor' skin is from the PMC and the 'ghille' suit is from the DLC British Armed Forces to name but two. The actual world itself will all be hi-res from having the full version of Combined Ops.
Rogersdead is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > # - C > ARMA series > ARMA 2: Operation Arrowhead