Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > General Steam Discussion

Old 06-17-2012, 12:11 PM   #511
MunkiLord

Quote:
Originally Posted by paratech2008 View Post
I guess to me the IP is only worth the money that can be made off of it, and IMSHO it seems Mass Effect 3 hurt itself with being Origin only, and having the "bad" endings, and a lot of gamers won't be buying Bioware games after Dragon Age 2 and Mass Effect 3, but I may be wrong.
You're probably right. I won't buy Dragon Age 3 until I am confident that it is as good as Origins. And after the cluster- that was DA2, I'm not confident that will happen.

On the other hand I'll likely pre-order the next Mass Effect game like I did ME3 and enjoy it as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchyfrog555 View Post

No, that's one I haven't heard of either, and I do wonder whether it is more of one of the foibles of the antiquated BACS payments system rather than something one could blame EA for. I'm keen to hear more.
My guess is a simple computer error that couldn't be found right away. I've seen it happen numerous times when I worked GameStop customer service.
MunkiLord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 12:14 PM   #512
paratech2008

I thought Mass Effect 3 was the "Finale."?
paratech2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 12:19 PM   #513
crunchyfrog555

Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by MunkiLord View Post
My guess is a simple computer error that couldn't be found right away. I've seen it happen numerous times when I worked GameStop customer service.
In all likelihood it is. As you probably are well-aware, the BACS (and other) payments system work on a handshake, obviously. Often it doesn't go through because of the 3-second window needed. This is why one sees these "I paid for this game and haven't received it, yet the money's gone from my account" threads.
I wonder if the complaint in question has a time-frame longer than 3 days (when the money would have been automatically returned). I'm intrigued.
crunchyfrog555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 12:27 PM   #514
paratech2008

I don't love EA but I doubt they'd "steal" from their customers intentionally like that, although why they "VAC" ban over forum bans is beyond me. I won't touch their forums for that reason.
Old 06-17-2012, 12:31 PM   #515
DocHouse

Who should we believe to?
The ones who have been on the business since 2003. The ones with 1600 games on their catalog. The ones with 70% of market share. The ones with more profit per employee than Google, Microsoft, Facebook, Apple or almost any other company in the world.
Or the ones who joined the party in 2011 when they saw the success of their enemies. The ones who only get their own games on their service (and no even that). The ones with 0.00000000000 *buzz* *number processor failed* market share. The ones who fire 2300 people last year.
Who should we believe to? Who...?

Last edited by DocHouse: 06-17-2012 at 12:33 PM.
DocHouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 12:40 PM   #516
Brute95

Banned
Does anyone actually use Origin? I only used that thing to play AvA or something like that, uninstalled once it was over.
Brute95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 12:54 PM   #517
paratech2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brute95 View Post
Does anyone actually use Origin? I only used that thing to play AvA or something like that, uninstalled once it was over.
I have Burnout Paradise*, Dragon Age Origins Ultimate Edition*, Dragon Age 2**, Need for Speed Shift**, Need for Speed Hot Pursuit*, Need for Speed Undercover (plus Boss cars DLC,) Shift 2**, and Sims 3* on Origin.

* Purchased on Steam.
** Purchased Retail

I've only purchased Need for Speed Undercover plus the DLC on Origin.
Old 06-17-2012, 01:04 PM   #518
MikeGamer

When i said steal i didn't mean it in the literal sense

There's been cases of gamers that have made purchases on Origin that for one reason or another found an error during the transaction, during that mess up not only they found that the game wasn't added to the library, but also saw that the money they paid for the game didn't make it back to them
MikeGamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 01:13 PM   #519
crunchyfrog555

Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeGamer View Post
When i said steal i didn't mean it in the literal sense

There's been cases of gamers that have made purchases on Origin that for one reason or another found an error during the transaction, during that mess up not only they found that the game wasn't added to the library, but also saw that the money they paid for the game didn't make it back to them
Ah, that might indeed be the payments problem, which if it is the case, are the same problems EVERY online retailer has. I would be more interested to see if the money doesn't turn up after 3 days though.

I have no problem with criticizing EA, of course, I just don't want to do it unfairly.
Old 06-17-2012, 01:15 PM   #520
MunkiLord

Quote:
Originally Posted by paratech2008 View Post
I thought Mass Effect 3 was the "Finale."?
It's the finale to that particular trilogy. But there is expected to be more games that take place in that universe. That is all that is known at this point. I don't expect anything for a couple years.
MunkiLord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 01:18 PM   #521
paratech2008

I'd be curious to see how well another Mass Effect would sell as well as another Dragon Age.
Old 06-17-2012, 01:34 PM   #522
jimrad1

I dont mind Origin, and I certainly dont mind competition to Steam. It sounds like sour grapes from EA to me. Origin is not the success or instant success they thought it might be. Big catalog does not automatically mean people will love your service. I think part of it is, you have to be liked to begin with.

People genuinely like Valve, or well I did. So using its service was a no brainer for me. I didnt throw Valve all my business initially. A certain amount of trust had to be built first. Direct2Drive or Gamefly specifically shows what can happen when a company takes all your games away or at least a majority of them.

I just think you have to be liked to begin with. If Ubisoft began a service tomorrow I would have the same feelings, buy as little as possible just due to my dislike of their company as a whole. EA thought its standing with gamers were excellent, I guess this was a wake up call.

I think any company that treats you like a thief first, is bound to have poor results when they offer any service. EA has some fine games, but those fine games come with a lot of baggage.
jimrad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 01:37 PM   #523
crunchyfrog555

Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimrad1 View Post
I dont mind Origin, and I certainly dont mind competition to Steam. It sounds like sour grapes from EA to me. Origin is not the success or instant success they thought it might be. Big catalog does not automatically mean people will love your service. I think part of it is, you have to be liked to begin with.

People genuinely like Valve, or well I did. So using its service was a no brainer for me. I didnt throw Valve all my business initially. A certain amount of trust had to be built first. Direct2Drive or Gamefly specifically shows what can happen when a company takes all your games away or at least a majority of them.

I just think you have to be liked to begin with. If Ubisoft began a service tomorrow I would have the same feelings, buy as little as possible just due to my dislike of their company as a whole. EA thought its standing with gamers were excellent, I guess this was a wake up call.

I think any company that treats you like a thief first, is bound to have poor results when they offer any service. EA has some fine games, but those fine games come with a lot of baggage.
That's a fair summary.
Old 06-17-2012, 02:50 PM   #524
crispynoodle

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeGamer View Post
-Quick but bad support
-Discount on main games but no DLC
-Stealing the money during a transaction leaving the gamer without their game and their money
-Forum bans tied to game bans (you get banned on the forum, you lose acces to your games)
-Inability to appeal any unjustified ban unless you have to call a lawyer

And those are from the top of my head, now if you want to cover your ears and not listen and you just want to claim i'm just a hater, then go ahead, it's not my fault you're too rude to ask for answers and then disregard them when they're given to you

(you can also browse this very thread but then again you were too lazy to do that since you're coming here not knowing any reason for it)
All to do with EA and nothing to do with Origin so my question remains.
crispynoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 02:58 PM   #525
paratech2008

I thought I answered it.

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > General Steam Discussion