Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > # - C > ARMA series > ARMA 2: Operation Arrowhead

Old 06-18-2012, 05:56 AM   #1
Nergalwaja

Bad Serial number given in setup

Okay so like many others I jumped on the Dayz wagon and found that it just wasn't ready yet so I deleted all my Dayz Mod files and reinstalled both Arma 2 and OA on steam. Arma 2 works just fine but when I try running OA I get an error that says, "Bad serial number given in setup" and it kicks me off to the desktop. I have verified the game cache several times and still have this problem, and my CD Key has always been valid so does anyone know how to fix this?
Old 06-18-2012, 07:34 AM   #2
Dwarden

Bohemia Interactive
exit STEAM, then start STEAM via (left click select icon, right click open menu, select "run as administrator")

if that fails please restart PC, it really helps quite often

Old 06-21-2012, 02:20 PM   #3
Guhlius

Tried that... Is it just a missing reg entry? I can edit one if you give me one (like inserting my steam given CD-Key, edit install path etc.)

EDIT: Okay got it now. It included verifying ArmA2 without addons first and starting ArmA2 with diffrent addons and then verify again etc...'

At least it stopped redownloading stuff when I verify the cache now.

But the beta patch does not run, and tells me something about wrong CD-keys...

Any idea on that?

/EDIT

Last edited by Guhlius: 06-21-2012 at 03:38 PM. Reason: new facts
Guhlius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 07:29 AM   #4
Xerpt

Dwarden, thank's .

Was going nuts here trying to figure this out hehe,

Worked when exiting and running steam as admin.

Cheers
Xerpt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 04:32 PM   #5
Chewy1.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guhlius View Post
Tried that... Is it just a missing reg entry? I can edit one if you give me one (like inserting my steam given CD-Key, edit install path etc.)

EDIT: Okay got it now. It included verifying ArmA2 without addons first and starting ArmA2 with diffrent addons and then verify again etc...'

At least it stopped redownloading stuff when I verify the cache now.

But the beta patch does not run, and tells me something about wrong CD-keys...

Any idea on that?

/EDIT
-snip-

Fox has a working setup for the beta with steam.

Last edited by Chewy1.2: 06-28-2012 at 05:41 PM.
Chewy1.2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 02:52 PM   #6
FOXCONNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewy1.2 View Post
There's no way to run the beta patch with steam. Iv tried every way I can think of, looked over both steam and Day Z forums and and after 2 hours of work I couldn't get it to work. That beta patch and steam just do not get along.

Until the beta patch becomes official it's better to run Day Z by way of Six Launcher. It should update everything for you and I haven't had a problem with it yet. I would love to have the steam overlay, but I just couldn't do it thanks to the beta patch.
This is inaccurate. both myself and friends have used multiple versions of the beta with steam. Use these steps, they have not failed anyone that used them. 1. download beta patch from here:
http://www.arma2.com/beta-patch.php
2. extract file and run the setup.
3. goto your Arrowhead folder (Steam/steamapps/common/Arma 2 operation arrowhead)
4. Backup original Arma2OA.exe file
5. find beta folder (Arma 2 Operation Arrowhead/Expansion/beta)
6. cut/paste arma2oa.exe file from beta folder to main Operation Arrowhead folder
7. Goto Steam Library, right click on ARMA2 Operation Arrowhead and goto 'properties' at the bottom of the list.
8. In the properties, click on 'Set launch options...'
9. in the box, copy and paste this: -beta=Expansion\beta;ca;Expansion\beta\Expansion -mod=@DayZ;ca -nosplash

And start ARMA2: Operation Arrowhead normally.
Viola!
FOXCONNED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 05:40 PM   #7
Chewy1.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOXCONNED View Post
This is inaccurate. both myself and friends have used multiple versions of the beta with steam. Use these steps, they have not failed anyone that used them. 1. download beta patch from here:
http://www.arma2.com/beta-patch.php
2. extract file and run the setup.
3. goto your Arrowhead folder (Steam/steamapps/common/Arma 2 operation arrowhead)
4. Backup original Arma2OA.exe file
5. find beta folder (Arma 2 Operation Arrowhead/Expansion/beta)
6. cut/paste arma2oa.exe file from beta folder to main Operation Arrowhead folder
7. Goto Steam Library, right click on ARMA2 Operation Arrowhead and goto 'properties' at the bottom of the list.
8. In the properties, click on 'Set launch options...'
9. in the box, copy and paste this: -beta=Expansion\beta;ca;Expansion\beta\Expansion -mod=@DayZ;ca -nosplash

Viola!
It seems that I was wrong. My apologies to anyone that took my word. I must have typed the command wrong or something but I just tested it and all appears to be working fine.
Chewy1.2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 08:51 AM   #8
JoKeR_Her3

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOXCONNED View Post
Viola!

Yeahh... NO.

Tried starting the setup for the latest patch,i get greeted with a message "WRONG CD KEY".

In my face.Not nice.
JoKeR_Her3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 12:51 PM   #9
FOXCONNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoKeR_Her3 View Post
Yeahh... NO.

Tried starting the setup for the latest patch,i get greeted with a message "WRONG CD KEY".

In my face.Not nice.
Did you delete the previous beta patch? Did you launch as combined ops? Most of the time when you get the CD key error it's on the end user not starting the game correctly.
FOXCONNED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 05:24 PM   #10
DasKraeken

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwarden View Post
exit STEAM, then start STEAM via (left click select icon, right click open menu, select "run as administrator")

if that fails please restart PC, it really helps quite often
this worked for me.
DasKraeken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 07:08 AM   #11
Rhyzak

I've been playing it for awhile now and last night I went to go play it again but then it crashed to the desktop with that error message. After trying to start it for about an hour I have up and uninstalled it. I've installed the game twice and still have same problem. I did all the troubleshooting and went to all help threads and still nothing. All im trying to do is play the normal game and still nothing works. I haven't modified anything yet. I start it up. It loads the Intro Screen for Bohemia Interactive but then crashes to desktop with Bas Serial Number Given in Setup error.
Rhyzak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 01:09 PM   #12
Nergalwaja

When I originally had this problem, I wasn't trying to launch with Six Launcher or DayZ Commander, but lately I've been using those which have worked. But now I'm getting the error messages "Bad Serial Number Given" or "Wrong CD KEY" when trying to launch from DayZ Commander. Anyone have any idea on how to fix this?
Nergalwaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 03:25 PM   #13
Nergalwaja

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?138564

If anyone has tried everything possible and still gets the "Bad Serial" bull error, try giving this thread a shot, it fixed it for me!
Nergalwaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 03:40 PM   #14
DirtRiderMX29

Bad Serial Number Given in Setup

Hey guys I just bought this game and it wont work it keeps saying Bad serial number in setup PLEASE HELP
DirtRiderMX29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 04:16 PM   #15
zglina

BIG WTF for all of you guys. I got the same problem ("Bad Serial number given in setup") with Arma 2 and Arma 2 OA. And everybody said that "steam support dont want to help us" so i never went to steam support. But today i wanted to play BioShock 2 and i couldnt get Cd-Key(it was needed to activ game). So i went to support to find solution, i found it and i thought... "maybe it will fix arma 2 error too"
AND YES it fixed it!
https://support.steampowered.com/kb_...2190-FJLB-1368
----

Please exit Steam and browse to your Steam installation (By default: C:\Program Files\Steam\)
Note that the following action will reset the Steam account settings on your computer:
Delete the folder named 'userdata'
Restart Steam
zglina is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > # - C > ARMA series > ARMA 2: Operation Arrowhead