Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Help and Tips

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old 06-13-2012, 03:33 PM   #1
boogieman1954

No video works in full screen in the STEAM user interface

I can watch gameplay and/or trailers inside the STEAM interface but as soon as I click to watch full screen, the window stays the same size but the video turns black, audio is always fine. Hit escape and the video returns to normal.

GTX 580 driver 301.24
Win 7 64
I7 2600K
Asus P8p67 deluxe mobo
8 GB G Skill ram

Not sure if this is the right place to post or if anyone can help.

Thanks !
Old 06-15-2012, 04:51 PM   #2
boogieman1954

So, anyone guide me where to seek support for this?

Thanks
boogieman1954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 03:39 PM   #3
Smidge

I have almost this same problem.
When I look at my windows bar, a second app opens under the steam tab. A flash tab that when I click it opens the video fullscreen.
After doing this once, steam works normally again.

However since the last steam update all steam video's in fullscreen stutter like crazy.
If I open the store pages in firefox the video's work normal / without problems.
Smidge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 08:38 PM   #4
barfarina

I'm having issues where full-screen is choppy and unwatchable, but is fine when reduced back to the browser window. I'm thinking it's flash related, but i could be wrong.

Doesn't happen with any other video on my computer.
barfarina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 08:46 PM   #5
CTRL ALT DEL !

It is a known issue, it started in the last beta update and nobody reported it until after the beta went live.

Now that the beta is live, we will have to wait until the next beta for a fix. Please test it during the beta to confirm it is fixed.

It seems only a handful of people participate in the beta releases and nobody watched a video in full screen during the beta or didn't think the lag was associated with the beta.

Don't complain about faults in the live version of steam if you don't test the beta.
CTRL ALT DEL ! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 02:35 AM   #6
MonkeySeeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTRL ALT DEL ! View Post
Don't complain about faults in the live version of steam if you don't test the beta.
I'm really not trying to start an argument here but that's a ridiculous statement to make.

First off nobody complained they just asked what was going on and if there was a fix. Secondly just because someone doesn't use the beta doesn't mean they have no right to say anything when things go wrong in the supposed "stable" version.

As you said yourself, it's not as though those who DID run the beta spotted it either (including myself, I simply never watched a video in fullscreen).
MonkeySeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 09:16 PM   #7
Phileosophos

FWIW, it's completely fracked on my EVGA GTX 680, which plays everything full screen just fine from within Windows Media Player, iTunes, VLC media player, etc. It's really irritating. I hope Steam fixes it soon...
Phileosophos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 09:37 PM   #8
Buckethead_Inc

Quote:
Originally Posted by barfarina View Post
I'm having issues where full-screen is choppy and unwatchable, but is fine when reduced back to the browser window. I'm thinking it's flash related, but i could be wrong.

Doesn't happen with any other video on my computer.
This is my problem. When viewing videos inside Steam in full-screen, they are choppy and completely unwatchable. They play just fine when reduced. They also play smoothly and with no stuttering when viewing Steam videos full-screen within Firefox and Google Chrome. Something withing Steam itself is not playing nicely with Flash of late.

Quote:
Wait...what?
Buckethead_Inc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 07:14 PM   #9
Neuint

Same problem, insane lag in full-screen videos.
Neuint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 01:18 AM   #10
jrobert

Same problem here. Full-screen mode is choppy as all heck and unwatchable. What's worse for me is if I use my systems web browser, the video's don't play at all. When I click on a video, it's as if I'm not clicking on any button at all!! The mouse curser when hovering over a link is suppose to switch from the arrow-pointer to the hand-pointer to indicate a link however it's not doing that for me. I ended up re-installing Windows 7 because of this and unfortunately in my stupididy, I lost some valuable data. To rub salt in an open wound, after I found out I lost data, the error still persisted!!! Definately a bad day for me! <-- mostly at myself for what I've done.

-JC
jrobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 05:47 AM   #11
cylon

Quote:
No offence but that is the WORST opinion ever! VALVE are the people that should be testing the software and checking for issues. The fact that they give out test versions for people to try is an additional bonus to try and help fix problems before they are given out to everyone.

By this stance, if the BETA version stops you loading games or starts sending your credit card details to random places on the internet, i shouldn't complain "because i didn't test the BETA" and should accept and live with it?

* But yes, the video is choppy and doesn't work in full screen.
cylon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 05:10 PM   #12
drswims

RE: No video works in full screen in the STEAM user interface

I am getting the same problem as the OP. As stated on this thread, it started to happen with the last Steam update. This also coincided with a purchase of a nice Samsung 27" monitor, but as another post said, it is unlikely the bigger monitor would cause this.

Hope Valve is reading these posts as it would be nice to view these trailers, etc on my spanking new large screen monitor.
drswims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 12:33 PM   #13
Gezetah

This is so weird, try to watch the video on fullscreen and right click on it, you can watch without any problem if the process went to the background.
Gezetah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 06:03 AM   #14
Trollhammer

Same problem. When I go fullscreen the playback stutters and sometimes go to a halt. The steam video player always been quite bad but this time it's close to useless. Fix that crap already.
Trollhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 07:22 AM   #15
zfox

Problem seems to be fixed in the beta

I was experiencing the same problem and just updated to the beta and it went away. Full-screen is now perfect, but I just noticed while typing this, that video is still choppy in the steam window when it is not the active window. I suspect it has always been that way, though.
zfox is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Help and Tips