Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > T - Z > Team Fortress 2

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old 06-24-2012, 02:25 AM   #1216
MadSkullFury

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetSaber777 View Post
Everyone be warned. nVidia driver 301.42 for GeFroce 400-600 series is inherently broken. Yeah, it's the latest driver, but its totally FUBAR. Roll back to 296.10, or whatever last worked for you. It's more of a problem for the mobile variants of the cards which this driver affects, but I've talked with several people whose desktops have also rejected it. It causes some weird conflict between C++ 2005 End User Distribution and DirectX.

It would be in your best interests to reinstall the following. Grabbed some of these from Steam support. Some people needed them again, some didn't. Depends how badly the driver was rejected.
DirectX - Yeah you have it already, but that driver caused all sorts of BS.
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en

C++ Runtimes
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/259403

.NET Frameworks
and
yep, the last driver causes a lot of crashes and sometimes a blue screen of the dead, i rolled back to my oldie driver 296.10 with clean OS and all, yet still without running TF2 smootly as before, since the "perfomance" updates each update turns TF2 more and more unplayable, sadly i love this game but im thinking on give on it, or at least no play it until 4 or 5 months hoping they fix something instead of adding more and more broken stuff. but of curse it not going to happen... yet i still having hope.
MadSkullFury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 03:41 AM   #1217
DougalDylan

I had two nvid's now an ATI, TF2 was my only problem game but now everything is fine.

Buy an ATI if you really like TF2 , sad but true.

PS Nvid and Valve should drop all the driver updates and TF2 updates and just fix this or we'll lose a lot of players or Nvid card buyers !
DougalDylan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 09:12 AM   #1218
ID Reaper

They should fix that.
ID Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 06:52 AM   #1219
sandman64

Decided to update to new drivers and try my luck on dxlevel 9.1 instead of the usual dxlevel 8 on my 8800GT.

Still getting: TF2 freeze + sound loop ---> Black Screen of Death (no image but I can hear sound and move)

Still unbelievable that either Nvidia or TFteam have not come up with a fix. The 8 series to 2xx series of cards are some of the most common cards used. Every other software works perfectly fine with the 8800GT. TF2 in dx9? Crashes.

On a side note: I'm still laughing at those suggesting that it is a solder issue/OS issue. We've gone through this before. We've wiped Windows, tested our RAM for faultiness, CHDSK'd the hell out of our hard drives for errors, and examined our video card's internals all for TF2. Are they seriously suggesting that there could be some hardware fault in my 8800GT that only affects TF2 and no other software I use?
sandman64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 07:08 AM   #1220
noskap

we've tried everything under the sun that we can try.
waitingfornvidia.jpeg
noskap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 01:11 PM   #1221
IntelliMoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandman64 View Post
. . . Are they seriously suggesting that there could be some hardware fault in my 8800GT that only affects TF2 and no other software I use?
Yeh, don't worry about the naysayers anymore. When every other game -- and those even more graphical and complex -- work perfectly fine, it's the specific game. Don't know why it can never be fixed, though, that's the sad part. If only there was a way to keep it dx9 and disable the effect or part that causes the issue.
IntelliMoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 01:43 PM   #1222
TheLampIsASpy

Any suggestions for a 9800 GTX card? I get so sick of these crashes. They usually happen in the early part of my gaming, but sometimes they give me the false hope that all is well and fine, and don't crash til about an hour in. Usually when I am playing engi on an important place. I feel so uncredit to team, because by the time it crashes, I go into task mngr, end process, and load back into the game... we lose.
TheLampIsASpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 02:11 PM   #1223
denixen

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLampIsASpy View Post
I feel so uncredit to team, because by the time it crashes, I go into task mngr, end process, and load back into the game... we lose.
The only solution is to run TF2 in DX 8 mode, but many people would rather crash all the time then make the game look ugly. IMO, it doesn't look that bad, plus it allows you to see more of the enemy by taking away some eye candy.
denixen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 08:10 PM   #1224
Alex_the_epic

I have been having this problem for a long time. This game is one of the best games I play I just want to play it without an issue.
Alex_the_epic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 09:05 PM   #1225
Notalent

Having the same issue on an EVGA GeForce 470. I've downloaded the EVGA Precision manager from their website, and manually adjust the fan to 100% every time I play the game. Seems to keep the game stable for longer amounts of time, and hardly crashes when it's on (sometimes it does though.) Running DX9 and everything on high or recommended.
Notalent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 09:33 PM   #1226
MadSkullFury

the pyro update... and im missing it since TF2 is unplayable for me, and still no fixes yet, anyone got a fix in this update or everyone still without crashing or lagging very badly?
MadSkullFury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 09:37 PM   #1227
eco3576

Now, when the driver crashes happen. I get a looping sound crash and have to end the task manually.
eco3576 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 10:09 PM   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #1228
rickmus

Valve
I've got the ear of an NVIDIA developer and he wants it back:

If you can email me ( rickmus@valvesoftware.com ) some details:
Your system information ( Steam -> Help -> System Information )
Description of how it crashes ( right away, after some play time, etc )
Do you have any .dmp or .mdmp crash files under your steam folder from the near time it you crashed tf2 ( please don't send me any old crashes or ones not from tf2 ).

No promises on fixes until we can get some more details. Also, don't expect a reply, given unknown volume.
rickmus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 10:30 PM   #1229
Sugioh

Oh my god. A reply from Valve. I love you right now, Rick.

Generally speaking TF2 doesn't crash when this happens though, just the gpu driver. Sometimes TF2 will hang afterwards, but I don't think you're going to get much in the way of TF2 crash dumps out of it.

I've also experienced this on three entirely different systems running entirely different hardware (and OSes too). The only constant is Nvidia DX10 hardware (an 8800GT, 9800GTX, and GTX295).
Sugioh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 10:32 PM   #1230
Aerowalk

Good news! +rep
Aerowalk is online now   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > T - Z > Team Fortress 2