Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Tool Discussions > Source Level Design

Old 06-26-2012, 06:25 PM   #1
Appletatoes

Arrow Dual Monitors in Hammer Solved!

I finally found some information on how to setup Dual Monitors in Hammer! Here's all that you need to know...

Configuring Dual (Or more than two) Monitors:
http://forums.tf2maps.net/showthread.php?t=12370

Hammer Optimization:
(This will further help you Optimize Hammer to run better and make your workflow so much easier)
http://www.nodraw.net/2010/01/tweaki...or-efficiency/

Enjoy
Old 06-26-2012, 06:44 PM   #2
captain0terror

Thanks man this is perfect timing for me, i'm shopping monitors tomorrow
captain0terror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 09:40 PM   #3
Appletatoes

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain0terror View Post
Thanks man this is perfect timing for me, i'm shopping monitors tomorrow
Nice! I have a 23" Dell Monitor [2048x1152] and an Acer 22" [1920x1080]

The difference in resolution and size sorta ruins what I could have with a "similar" pair but I love my 2048x1152 :P

Let me know how it goes
Appletatoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 10:46 PM   #4
captain0terror

I plan to use my 17" laptop screen for the 3d view, and whatever monitor i buy for the 2d windows. (more i think about it, you should have four monitors one for each viewport) :P

I already have a brand new logictech cordless chiclet keyboard and a m510 mouse(which are both amazing btw), so i won't need to touch the physical laptop at all.

Now all i need is a bigger desk.. =)
Old 06-27-2012, 02:31 PM   #5
Appletatoes

Haha sounds good man.

About the Dual Monitors... You have to use Hammer in "Windowed" mode and then stretch each window with-in hammer. It's a real pain and I don't know why the hell it has to be like that. There should be a much better way of doing it because my guess Valve Developers never did it like this.. :/
Old 06-28-2012, 11:42 PM   #6
captain0terror

Ya, I agree it's a bit clumsy, but still cool. i've been messing around with UltraMon today a little bit:

(i'm only using a 9-pin svga cable, so it might look better with the HDMI, and you'll also notice the monitors are different sizes, so that's why they don't seam up)

It will take me a while to configure this the way i want, but so far i'm still pretty impressed.

It's really easy to move stuff from one window to the other using ultramon, effortless really(since you just slide/drag your pointer and whatever window or file).

Kinda wish you could "clone" the hammer toolbars(can you?) on both monitors, but ah well. I kept the 3D preview on both monitors cuz heck, you don't gain any space by eliminating it.

Edit
A nice side effect of using UltraMon, is it saves your desktop icons config, so if you use some crazy program that routinely messes them up(like i do), Ultramon automatically restores your icon configuration when that program is shut off

Last edited by captain0terror: 06-29-2012 at 03:38 AM.
Old 06-29-2012, 01:21 PM   #7
Appletatoes

I have mine setup like this... http://localhostr.com/files/ZRTBdHA/capture.png

It's still is sorta sad though that you can't just drag a window out of the "work area" but I guess its fine the way I have it. I got my 3D View on the right while my 2D Views on the left. I also dragged out my tool bars and now there in between my two monitors. It just makes work flow easier for me and its nice to have it setup like that. So if you were talking about "cloning" your tools bars I guess you could just drag them out like I did and hit the Save Window State Button on top left on Toolbar, that has an "S" and some windows on it. How ever, every time I load hammer. I have to re-drag my Main Hammer window completely open, and then load my windows... Don't really like that but I'm guessing you can have UltraMon do that?
Old 06-29-2012, 08:04 PM   #8
captain0terror

Smile

Quote:
I have to re-drag my Main Hammer window completely open, and then load my windows... Don't really like that but I'm guessing you can have UltraMon do that?
Ya there has got to be better way to do this. I'm just getting my feet wet with ultramon, so i really don't know. (plus there are many other dual-screen managers out there)

As far as using this for mapping, i'm not sure if i will dedicate one monitor to the 3d viewpoint unless i buy anothther screen the same size.

I will however put stuff like visgroups, texture thingie and the object bar on my secondary monitor fo sho!(Not to mention my vlc player, temp gadget and other stuff.

ANother thing i do is connect my old laptop(p4, windows xp) to my new monitor as well, so i can simply change the input and i got the big screen for it:

It's more me dicking around more than anything, but now my desk feels like the cockpit of the Nebakanezer :P

Last edited by captain0terror: 06-29-2012 at 08:14 PM.
Old 06-30-2012, 06:06 PM   #9
Appletatoes

Wow that's a nice setup you have there! I really like that background on your middles screen. And you should add me on Steam if you haven't. We could collaborate ideas and stuff haha.

Steam: DJ Philter

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Tool Discussions > Source Level Design