Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > T - Z > Tribes: Ascend

Old 06-30-2012, 02:45 AM   #1
DeadCone

Post Tribes: Ascend troubleshoot thread

Tribes: Ascend troubleshoot thread

I haven't experienced any problems with both of my computers (One laptop win7, one desktop win8). The only thing I've had verify before running the game was the "lag spike bug"
Disclaimers: This might not be the game faults, but your computer configuration!!

My game is having "Lag Spikes" in-game
  1. Launch the game from steam
  2. On the game Launcher, press the "gearing" thing on the top right of the window.
  3. Press the "Troubleshooting and diagnostics" button
  4. Make sure the "Default Games Directory" Is set to:
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common
  5. Make sure the "Game Installation Directory" is set to:
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\tribes

Have you checked your system requirements? Those are the ones recommended, don't expect to play this game with the minimal requirements!
  • Processor: Quad-core Intel or AMD CPU
  • RAM: 4gb or greater
  • Video card: ATI or nVidia graphics card (1gb video ram or better and Shader Model 3.0+ support). nVidia GeForce GTX 560+ or ATI Radeon 6950+.
  • Sound card: DirectX compatible sound card
  • Hard drive: 10 GB free
  • Internet Connection: Broadband

Quote:
Originally Posted by Multiple persons on the Forums / Google
PM me for links or removal

Problem #1 Tribes Ascend – Cannot Install Tribes Ascend
Reinstall the game, but please ensure that you’ve fully uninstalled Tribes Ascend from your PC, before trying to install again. In some cases, you may have to manually delete the Tribes Ascend installation folder from the PC in case files remain after uninstalling.

Problem #2 Tribes Ascend Install Error: “Tribes Ascend Install Fails, Cannot Install”
This is a Microsoft C++ bug so the quick fix is to uninstall your C++ files. If you see 2 instances of Microsoft C++, uninstall both of them; and don’t worry, they are easy to reinstall. There are also a couple workarounds online if you don’t want to uninstall them.

Problem #3 Tribes Ascend Game Freeze Fix – Game Freezes during the Intro Video
If you’re using Steam, a quick solution is to verify the integrity of your Steam game cache to resolve the problem. If it persists, ensure that both your graphics drivers and DirectX are updated. Doing both will mostly reduce the occurrences of Tribes Ascend freezing.

Problem #4 Tribes Ascend Crash Fix – Game crashes when launching / upon launch
This is a typical DirectX problem. Just update to the latest DirectX version and voila. If that doesn’t work, reinstall DirectX completely.

Problem #5 Tribes Ascend Crash Fix – Crash to Desktop upon Launch / Start-up

If Tribes Ascend randomly crashes upon launching the game, ensure or try the following:
  1. Update your nVidia / ATI graphics drivers.
  2. Turn off SLI / Crossfire then start the game. See if it stabilizes Tribes Ascend performance.
  3. Turn off your anti-virus software before launching the Tribes Ascend, but make sure you turn it back on after playing. Make sure Windows Defender is also disabled.
  4. Try using only one GPU first (turn the other one off via your nVidia / ATI graphics control panel)
  5. Try running the game in Windowed Mode (frequently works for low-end PCs)
  6. Disable anti-aliasing and filtering, restart Tribes Ascend
  7. Disable V-sync, restart Tribes Ascend
  8. Disable background apps, and turn off your anti-virus software
  9. In Windows 7 right-click the Tribes Ascend exe file, go to the ‘Compatibility Mode’ tab and check ‘Disable Desktop Composition’
Problem #6 Tribes Ascend Crash Fix – Tribes Ascend Crashes right after pressing the ‘Play’ button

In Windows 7 go the Tribes Ascend installation folder, right-click the Tribes Ascend exe file, go to the‘Compatibility Mode’ tab and check ‘Disable Desktop Composition.’ Then try running Tribes Ascend once more.

Problem #7 Tribes Ascend Launch Crash Fix – Tribes Ascend “Could not load image”
Go to the Tribes Ascend installation folder and look for the Tribes Ascend .exe file and run it directly from there, rather than using the shortcut or client link.

Problem #8 Tribes Ascend Crash Fix – Tribes Ascend Crashes on Intel HD Graphics Card
Simply do a clean uninstall and reinstall of your Intel Graphics Driver.

Problem #9 Tribes Ascend Texture Fix – Bad Textures, Texture Breaks, Texture Glitch on gaming laptop
This is only for gaming laptops, but could work for some PCs. Note that this is an advanced solution, and only try this if other basic solutions such as disabling anti-aliasing and filtering failed for you. If your BIOS has the option, disable ‘Switchable Graphics’. This will remove your laptop PC’s ability to automatically switch between the onboard intel graphics card and the nVidia / ATI graphics chip, thus smoothening out gameplay.

Problem #10 Tribes Ascend Crash Fix – For Quad Core and Multi-Core PCs
If you’re on Quad Core, try this fix to address any crash issues:
  1. Start the game
  2. Alt+Tab Out of the game
  3. Open Task Manager
  4. Right click on Tribes Ascend.exe
  5. Set Affinity
  6. Select core 0 and 1 only. You need to run the game on two CPU’s basically, so to avoid the crash to desktop.

Problem #12 Tribes Ascend DirectX Fix – Cannot Install Direct X / Stuck at Direct X Installation
More often than not, this has been caused by other software drivers such as those from Logitech, Razer, Microsoft, etc, which normally control other minor peripherals such as your webcam, special programs, and sometimes your mouse. Simply shut them off and disable them, and try updating/installing Direct X again.

Problem #13 Tribes Ascend Crash Fix – Possible Crash Fix for nVidia users only
Go to Nvidia control panel by right clicking the icon in the taskbar, then manage 3d settings and set ‘Threaded Optimization’ to on.

Problem #14 Tribes Ascend Crash Fix – Possible Crash Fix for ATI/AMD users only
Uninstall Catalyst Control Center (CCC) and try running Tribes Ascend again. For some reason, CCC may at times interfere with the performance of Radeon cards.

Problem #15 Tribes Ascend Graphics Fix – Cannot see main menu, Menu crashes, Dual monitor problems
A common problem when playing on multiple screens. For now, the solution is to unplug other monitors and play on single screen. If that doesn’t work, try playing in windowed mode.

Problem #16 Tribes Ascend Crash Fix – nVidia Optimus Crashes the Game
If you’re using a newer laptop that’s using an nVidia Optimus card, try checking your Optimus settings.
  1. Open the “nVidia Control Panel” from your start menu.
  2. On the lefthand side, under “Select a task…”
  3. Open the “3D Settings” tree, and select “Manage 3D Settings”
  4. On the righthand panel, click the “Program Settings” tab.
  5. Under “1. Select a program…”, click “Add”, navigate to your installation folder and navigate to the application / exe file.
  6. Under “2. Select the preferred graphics…”, choose “High-performance NVIDIA processor”
  7. Then (VERY IMPORTANT!) click “Apply” in the bottom right.
  8. Launch the game.
Problem #17 Tribes Ascend Launch Fix – Cannot launch the Game
A common fix is clicking on the Tribes Ascend exe file straight from the installation folder rather than from any launcher/client.

Problem #18 Tribes Ascend Sound / Audio Fix – No sound or weak sound
For Windows 7 and Vista users:

First of all, update your sound card drivers. If doing that doesn’t clear up the problem, make sure you have volume set to max for Tribes Ascend in the volume mixer (click on the little speaker icon in the bottom-right of your screen in the system tray). If you’re in-game, just alt+tab out of the game and check if Tribes Ascend is set to max in the volume mixer.

Another tip you could try is to go to Control Panel > Hardware and Sound > Sound > Communications Tab then select the “Do Nothing” radio button to permanently fix this issue.

For Windows XP users:

Reduce hardware acceleration, or set your speakers to Stereo.

Problem #19 Tribes Ascend Mouse Fix – Reverse / weird mouse acceleration problem
To quickly fix this, try shutting off your mouse-specific software from Logitech, Microsoft, Razer, and the like. Also try a lower polling rate, sometimes this is switchable on the bottom-side of the gaming mouse.

Problem #20 Tribes Ascend FPS Fix – Tribes Ascend Lags, freezes, or has poor FPS performance
Try these possible solutions:
  1. Usually you can prevent Tribes Ascend from lagging or freezing by disabling vsync and antialiasing on the Tribes Ascend’s exe file via the AMD Vision Engine Control Center (AMD/ATI) or Nvidia Control Panel (nVidia)
  2. Alternatively you can stop Tribes Ascend from lagging via your PC task manager. In Windows 7, press CTRL + ALT + DELETE and click on Task Manager, go to Processes, then right-click on Tribes Ascend’s respective exe file and set priority above normal or higher. You must do this every time you play the game.
  3. In addition, your anti-virus may be the problem here. There are certain anti-virus software that are not ideal for gaming so, check our Technical References page for some suggestions.
  4. If you’re still using Windows XP, upgrade to Windows 7. Honestly, a lot of users have attested this to be the fastest solution they’ve tried.
  5. For more advanced users, try enabling/forcing tripple buffering and V-sync using the D3DOverrider software. Check our Technical References page to download D3DOverrirder / RivaTuner.
  6. Finally make sure that your Internet connection is stable. This is a commonly overlooked problem especially for online modes / multiplayer games.

If the above still do not cut it out for you, check out our tips on reducing lag.

Problem #21 Tribes Ascend Crash Fix – Other possible causes of crashing
  1. Make sure you GPU is cool enough and not overheating. Tribes Ascend may at times use heavy GPU, so make sure you have good airflow, and that your card is running quietly. Try lowering the resolution or changing quality settings. Symptoms of an overheated card include the following: random crashes, random ‘glitches’ , FPS drastically drops down to 2 or 3 FPS, freezing, and locking up during graphically intensive moments.
  2. Make sure you have a decent power supply. If you have a decent graphics card, you need a power supply that can run it. 350 watts may not be enough to consistently run Tribes Ascend. A recommended power supply should have a minimum of 600 watts, with a direct connection to the GPU (no splitting and ‘sharing’ connections with other devices). Many times random crashes are due only to insufficient power supply.

Last edited by DeadCone: 06-30-2012 at 02:52 AM.
Old 06-30-2012, 04:02 AM   #2
Nebetsu

Needs a "ATI Radeon 6950+" to run? Seems legit.
Nebetsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 02:22 PM   #3
StormMeh

The website hosting some solutions was spamming my browser, thanks! +REP
StormMeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 08:18 PM   #4
BurningBalls

My Steam version was failing to install at first.

But then after I uninstalled all the Hi-Rez software (not just the game, but all the Hi-Rez software too) from the previous Tribes installation, it worked perfectly.

Last edited by BurningBalls: 06-30-2012 at 09:33 PM.
BurningBalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 12:57 PM   #5
sketchblo

It's sad that many people can't even read this thread.. They just post their problems without even making a search first. Idiots
sketchblo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 01:09 PM   #6
Sedinus

Yeah, cool and all, too bad it doesn't provide a WORKING solution to my problem.
Sedinus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 12:07 AM   #7
skeet70

Another one?

I kept getting a D3D9 error of some sort on an ATI card with a variation of 12.4 CCC (hadn't updated because newer versions were causing BSOD). Updated to 12.6 and the game started fine.

Second issue though, is that I can log into the website with my account information but not the forums or the game. Both say invalid info, even though its right. All functionality on website works (change password, change forum name, payment info). Emailed them a few days ago, no response. Anyone else run into this and know a fix?
skeet70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 01:22 AM   #8
Tehpwned1

The fix for game crash when I press the 'Play' button still isn't working
Tehpwned1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 03:13 PM   #9
Sasquatchsliper

After migrating my install, and doing the Dark Fread fix (uninstalling and reinstalling prerequisites), I could start the game.

Problem: I now have extreme lag on the menu. Changing settings didn't fixed it.
  • If I try to verify the cache on Steam, it says 1 file needs to be redownloaded.
  • After downloading the file, it launches the HiRez launcher.
  • The HiRez launcher then find a file that need to be redownloaded.
  • After downloading the file, it launches the game.
  • The game stutters at approximately 5 FPS, right at the login screen.

Last edited by Sasquatchsliper: 07-08-2012 at 03:36 PM.
Sasquatchsliper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 07:35 PM   #10
AzakiarX

Red face Tribes Ascend is Waiting for Download

I tried changing the game installation directory but it keeps changing back to a blank space. Is there a change button like there is for the default games directory? If so I cannot find it and I need help. Someone please tell me how to set the game installation directory ASAP. I want to play this game
AzakiarX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 11:29 PM   #11
Piprat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasquatchsliper View Post
[*]If I try to verify the cache on Steam, it says 1 file needs to be redownloaded.
Same, this has been happening for a week now. It constantly has that 16.5Mb file that needs to be redone. It was working fine, then this issue, as it intermittently screen freezes while in the action and is a real pain on a HP DV7 with all the latest drivers.
Piprat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 10:10 AM   #12
Sasquatchsliper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piprat View Post
Same, this has been happening for a week now. It constantly has that 16.5Mb file that needs to be redone. It was working fine, then this issue, as it intermittently screen freezes while in the action and is a real pain on a HP DV7 with all the latest drivers.
I found a way to fix this problem:

- Backup your screenshots (folder: C:\Users\***username*** \Documents\My Games\Tribes Ascend\TribesGame )

- Uninstall Tribes: Ascend on Steam

- Install the following prerequisites:
  • .NET framework 3.5, 3.5 SP1, then 4.0
  • Visual C++ 2010 (x86, and the x64 if you've got a 64 bit system)

- reboot

- Install Tribes: Ascend NOT on Steam

- It will ask for prerequisites, click on "Yes", it should only verify that they're already there (takes 2 or 3 seconds)

It should be working now
Sasquatchsliper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 09:49 AM   #13
jschwal19

Still not working

I'm having the issue where I get the splash screen and then it quits to desktop. I've done everything as listed in this thread, as well as try to reinstall the game three times. Is there any fix for this problem, or will I have to give up on Tribes?
jschwal19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 10:05 PM   #14
Soultaker22

I had the Windows 7 crash problem too. Installing the latest version of the PhysX drivers from the nvidia website fixed it for me.

http://www.nvidia.com/object/physx-9...13-driver.html
Soultaker22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 11:51 PM   #15
Bassario

What is Windows 8? D-|:,'
Bassario is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > T - Z > Tribes: Ascend