Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > # - C > ARMA series > ARMA 2: Operation Arrowhead

Old 07-01-2012, 02:50 PM   #1
randir14

How do you get water in DayZ?

I started playing the mod yesterday and I cant figure out how to get water. Some guides on Youtube made it sound like you begin with a refillable canteen, but all I have are painkillers, a bandage and a flashlight. Can you fill up the empty whiskey bottles that are lying around everywhere?
Old 07-01-2012, 03:39 PM   #2
jpoon78

As far as I know you need a canteen. Stand just at the edge of the water and hit G to go to your inventory, next right click the canteen and "Fill with water". That's all ya gotta do.
jpoon78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 04:19 PM   #3
Willmehr

You did use to start with a canteen, but not anymore.
You can either find a canteen, which you can refill at ponds creeks or whatever or just pick up the sodacans that lie around literally in every house, even on some zeds.
Willmehr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 08:25 AM   #4
Blackflak

For me standing at the edge doesn't quite do it , i found i need to be up to the knees i think in the water , then when the filling animation starts i am submerged
Blackflak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 08:34 AM   #5
Xerpt

You will have to get a Canteen as mentioned above, walk into the water (sea water is no longer usable source of filling your Canteen btw), theres plenty of ponds , and a few Well's around to refill it.

But do remember, when going down to a pond to refill it, DO NOT SWIM!, you will lose your backback, just walk out up to your knee's at most if your not able to fill it from the side, but don't go deeper as you will lose your backback, and you can't get it back once you lost it (aka you have to find a new one:P) been there done that lol, same goes for the ocean, don't swimxD
Xerpt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 10:42 AM   #6
randir14

Thanks for the replies, guess I'll be on the lookout for soda cans and a canteen.
randir14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 11:29 AM   #7
Gutlesswonder

Ahh that explains my missing backpack early on.

Funny how you can't drink straight from the pond or the well. Rocket must be a germ freak, or thinks the girls will leave their lipstick on the spout. (Office awareness)Turns out the drinking bottles the girls bring to fill at the dispenser were leaving the lipstick marks, not one of the girls drinking straight from it.

Also another tip. When you are in the gear window, sometimes upon closing it you will drop ammo for weapons that you don't have or are not using. This can be a pain in the if you need that ammo later.

Don't try putting firearms in your backpack. So far more often than not for me they have only disappeared, and wind up being dropped below the floor, along with the ammo I mentioned above.

Make sure you are not standing in the door jambs when closing doors. Which means make sure you are not in another door jamb thinking you're closing the door in front of you, but actually just shut the door you're standing in, and you die as the force of the door crushes you.

Don't crawl/prone across door jambs unless you like broken legs. If your legs are already broken you'll probably die. I also died once by going prone next to a bush and tree. This doesn't happen a lot, but seems to happen at the wrong times.

These are good tips to keep you from wanting to scream after surviving for several days only to die or loose stuff through glitches.
Gutlesswonder is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > # - C > ARMA series > ARMA 2: Operation Arrowhead