Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > H - L > Left 4 Dead 2

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old 07-03-2012, 07:37 AM   #1
wowlolcat

I've been blocked by people who aren't as experienced as me...

I understand that Valve believes that the blocking system in L4D2 works mostly as intended, as Chet once mentioned being blocked by a few people shouldn't affect your experience unless you're a real jerk and everybody blocks you.

The problem is, I'm being blocked not because I'm a jerk but because inexperienced players frankly can't seem to fathom what snap-killing is, they don't utilize the audio of S.I to zero in on them and advanced strats learned by having over 3000 hours of gameplay. They're blocking me because I beat them at the game.

There have been too many incidents to list here, but the gist of it goes, In my country the L4D2 community is really small, small enough that when people start accusing me of hacking and block me, and tell their friends to block me, it affects my experience greatly. It means I am being punished by Valves block system for being a good player.

It's frustrating because there's no way around this. I can't convince people to unblock me because I can't contact them or message them. And once people do block someone, it's very unlikely they would navigate to their block list and randomly unblock me. They have no reason to, because a) Oh that guy is too good, i'd rather not vs him. and b) i think that guy was hacking, he kept killing me quickly. i'll keep him blocked.

So what can we do about this? It takes half an hour to just find a game where it's full and there's enough people. I'm sick of being invited to my friends games but being told I can't join them because someone has blocked me.

Perhaps there could be a cooldown period. So if you block someone, they stay blocked for a month and then they're automatically unblocked. I don't know, something to just help me restore my L4D2 experience. Like the community isn't small enough as it is, now people are selectively eliminating anyone better than them in Versus.
Old 07-03-2012, 07:55 AM   #2
TheCombatMedic

Do you even want to be playing with those sort of people if this is how they are going to react? And if you can't join friend games cause you got blocked, then maybe your friends need to give that other friend a good talking to or they should boot him.
TheCombatMedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 08:37 AM   #3
cookies4355

Yet that what happens. I been having those trouble too. Good thing I live in NY where there is a lot of people. Only way around that is to find pug or good scrim group. You can also change your location.

If you are really trouble then wait till left for dead 2 go on sale and then buy another copy.

FYI this was happening b4 expect in the pass it was the server's admin. This is almost as sad as people who invite you to group.

Last edited by cookies4355: 07-03-2012 at 08:43 AM.
cookies4355 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 09:25 AM   #4
prophecy holder

Banned
Welcome to Left 4 dead four years ago.
prophecy holder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 12:11 PM   #5
Koga Shiro

OP while I am not defending abuse of the block system whatsoever-- even if these people unblocked you then if you played another game against them they'd leave at the end of map 1 or something anyway. Assuming they're blocking you only for the reason you give, these aren't people who really should even be playing versus anyway, and probably ragequit out of games against better players. You haven't lost anything, in other words. It IS hard to get a full game of L4D2 in many regions at many times of day, even if you haven't been blocked by a lot of people.
Koga Shiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 12:23 PM   #6
knifeandfork

Quote:
Originally Posted by wowlolcat View Post

I'm sick of being invited to my friends games but being told I can't join them because someone has blocked me.
Does a message actually pop up and say something like

Sorry you can't join this server because somebody has blocked you

?

Last edited by knifeandfork: 07-03-2012 at 12:24 PM. Reason: Ooooh 1000 posts!
knifeandfork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 12:38 PM   #7
Buick72

If you are blocked, or kicked by people who suck. You're really not losing out, as who would want to play with people like that anyway? Though I can see it being lame if one of them is in a game with good players thus not letting you get in...

If you have friends in the game, convince them to kick the offender?
Buick72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 12:50 PM   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #8
chetf

Valve
Quote:
Originally Posted by wowlolcat View Post
I understand that Valve believes that the blocking system in L4D2 works mostly as intended, as Chet once mentioned being blocked by a few people shouldn't affect your experience unless you're a real jerk and everybody blocks you.

The problem is, I'm being blocked not because I'm a jerk but because inexperienced players frankly can't seem to fathom what snap-killing is, they don't utilize the audio of S.I to zero in on them and advanced strats learned by having over 3000 hours of gameplay. They're blocking me because I beat them at the game.

There have been too many incidents to list here, but the gist of it goes, In my country the L4D2 community is really small, small enough that when people start accusing me of hacking and block me, and tell their friends to block me, it affects my experience greatly. It means I am being punished by Valves block system for being a good player.

It's frustrating because there's no way around this. I can't convince people to unblock me because I can't contact them or message them. And once people do block someone, it's very unlikely they would navigate to their block list and randomly unblock me. They have no reason to, because a) Oh that guy is too good, i'd rather not vs him. and b) i think that guy was hacking, he kept killing me quickly. i'll keep him blocked.

So what can we do about this? It takes half an hour to just find a game where it's full and there's enough people. I'm sick of being invited to my friends games but being told I can't join them because someone has blocked me.

Perhaps there could be a cooldown period. So if you block someone, they stay blocked for a month and then they're automatically unblocked. I don't know, something to just help me restore my L4D2 experience. Like the community isn't small enough as it is, now people are selectively eliminating anyone better than them in Versus.

PM me your steam account(s) being affected to verify your identity and I can walk you through as an example (if you are okay with me sharing details) of how and why people use the block system.

We are making changes and looking at ways to improve the community experience, but honestly what I am seeing with your account is not matching your post.
chetf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 12:52 PM   #9
knifeandfork

Quote:
Originally Posted by knifeandfork View Post
Does a message actually pop up and say something like

Sorry you can't join this server because somebody has blocked you

?
Chet!

Quick answer this my 1000th post dude!!!!

Don't let me down fella
knifeandfork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 01:28 PM   #10
Koga Shiro

Quote:
Originally Posted by chetf View Post
PM me your steam account(s) being affected to verify your identity and I can walk you through as an example (if you are okay with me sharing details) of how and why people use the block system.

We are making changes and looking at ways to improve the community experience, but honestly what I am seeing with your account is not matching your post.
.... oh snap?
Koga Shiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 01:34 PM   #11
cityuk04

Quote:

Oh cool. If you're investigating this issue perhaps you can run your eye over my account as I have the feeling I've been blocked under similar circumstances. (or maybe I'm just being paranoid.) Would be nice to know either way.
cityuk04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 01:39 PM   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #12
chetf

Valve
Quote:
Originally Posted by cityuk04 View Post
Oh cool. If you're investigating this issue perhaps you can run your eye over my account as I have the feeling I've been blocked under similar circumstances. (or maybe I'm just being paranoid.) Would be nice to know either way.
Link your steam account to your forum name or post it here.
chetf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 02:05 PM   #13
Kerb

I'm hoping this thread will deliver!
Kerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 02:12 PM   #14
cityuk04

Quote:
Link your steam account to your forum name or post it here.
I thought I had. Is the button that says "steam profile" under my name not what you are referring to?

Edit - OK, done it now.

Last edited by cityuk04: 07-03-2012 at 02:18 PM.
cityuk04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 02:16 PM   #15
TGUSOL

I have blocked a few people mostly griefers/bad server admins who abuse it/the rude or unfriendly.

I use it socially rather than win/lose or player skill level, it's does not matter I think most people I know use it in the same fashion.

Being Honest I thought it was a bad idea but I was wrong, but it would be a great addition if you had to fill in a small text field describing why, just like the report function has.
TGUSOL is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > H - L > Left 4 Dead 2