Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > VAC Discussion

Old 06-23-2012, 11:44 PM   #346
CTRL ALT DEL !

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnNoX View Post
Hello guys, I was wondering if using ENB series for L4D2 would cause a VAC ban ? it contains a .dll, a .bmp and .ini files which changes some graphical settings, but it doesn't replace any file and there are no conflicts with any of them. Thanks.
I wouldn't use a modified dll on my main account without verification that it doesn't cause a ban. There was a warning about this on a couple of sites.

That being said to confirm no ban takes 3 months.

If you really want to try it, use steam in offline mode and backup your l4d2 folder first before adding the files. Play it and swap the folders again before going online. That's what I do when I play suspect mods, if the mod is for multiplayer, perhaps you should consider another account to test with.
CTRL ALT DEL ! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 07:49 AM   #347
Lostie

3 week update.

VAC Status: In good standing.
Lostie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 06:19 PM   #348
CTRL ALT DEL !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lostie View Post
3 week update.

VAC Status: In good standing.
Looking good Lostie, most bans are faster than that.

Interesting news Please read this

It seems we have all been mislead for quite some time, no doubt by Cheaters that got caught and were looking for an excuse.

The developer of Cry of Fear mod has been playing 1.6 in secure with cry of fear mod and it's dll in place installed on his PC.

Whats more is that the dll used in Cry of Fear is the exact same dll used in Paranoia.

That's right, Cry of Fear and Paranoia are safe to play and leave installed or so it seems.

I will be personally testing these both and kept you all updated on my VAC status, but don't expect to see me banned any time soon.

"As always use at your own risk as valve says"
Old 06-29-2012, 12:32 PM   #349
Lostie

Lightbulb

That is indeed interesting and thanks for finding it out. Those mods are using the Gold Source engine aren't they, not Source? That would explain why this technique ("DLL relative path exploitation") still works on the older engine, but was fixed sometime in 2011 in all Valve Source engine games which is what the testing I did appears to show.

Valve has not neccessarily fixed this in Source to prevent cheats, but more likely to increase security in general as there was a big scare about all this in late 2010 - see THIS article for more information.

Nobody except Valve really knows how VAC works, but it basically looks like a virus scanner for cheats using a hash database of known cheats etc. Your findings add further weight to this, since that opengl32.dll file cannot give you an advantage in a game can it? (unless you modified it to be a wallhack, but then it would be a different file with a different hash!).

So until evidence is produced to back up the assertion that someone has been VAC'd for e.g. Cry of Fear mod, then we can probably treat such claims as the male bovine faeces that they are The author of that mod would surely be the first one struck with the banhammer.
Old 06-30-2012, 08:03 AM   #350
Lostie

Exclamation YES

IT WORKS!!! FINALLY, Enhanced Subpixel Morphological Antialiasing (SMAA) in Team Fortress 2 After weeks of evil experiments and dastardly testing, I just managed to inject the SMAA shader into TF2 without using any code from or touching any cheats/hacks This is significant because the SMAA/FXAA injectors already out there do not work with Valve games. The really cool thing about this new method is that it should work with a very large number of games and not just TF2!

Here's a screenshot showing the effect working on koth_lakeside_final. Note that this is NOT intended to show how good or bad SMAA is, it is only to show that it works in TF2. This is a virtual machine with very poor graphics drivers, a gamma bug, low resolution (1024x768) and SMAA not set to ultra, so most people will get far better results than this. Here it is:
http://img4.imagetitan.com/img.php?image=4_tf2_smaa.png

And now for the bad news... Because this is using a new/different injection method (a potentially more dangerous one at that), there is a higher chance of VAC throwing its toys out of the pram so it will need to go through weeks of further testing to know if it's safe or not. I will probably do this but haven't decided yet, the above screenshot was taken in SP with bots so I haven't yet joined a VAC server with SMAA enabled.

So how did I do it? I haven't decided whether to just post instructions or create a simple script/tool (with source code of course) to automate the process so that less techie people can use it - ideas welcome. Watch this space over the next week or so

---

Edit 01/07/2012: I've just realised that although this works perfectly on my Windows XP SP3 virtual machine, Vista and 7 have introduced an OS feature called ASLR (Address Space Layout Randomization) which may screw up the injection process - I'll have to test it outside the VM I suppose.

Last edited by Lostie: 07-01-2012 at 06:35 AM.
Old 07-01-2012, 07:37 AM   #351
CTRL ALT DEL !

Nice Lostie, now for the scary part testing.
Old 07-02-2012, 03:23 AM   #352
pigosso

any news on the use of smaa injector on VAC enabled games?
pigosso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 11:03 AM   #353
phkuxato

Quote:
This is significant because the SMAA/FXAA injectors already out there do not work with Valve games.
Wrong. The FXAA override built into the NVIDIA drivers works just fine.
phkuxato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 02:50 PM   #354
Lostie

Quote:
Originally Posted by phkuxato View Post
Wrong. The FXAA override built into the NVIDIA drivers works just fine.
I know that as I pointed out in one of my earlier posts, but the nVidia driver FXAA isn't an "injector" unlike the original FXAA injector, which unsurprisingly is actually an injector (that one works for ATI owners too). This is what I was referring to when I said the FXAA (and SMAA) injectors do not work with Valve games.

But if nVidia owners have FXAA and ATI owners have MLAA, what use is SMAA? The short answer: It has the speed of FXAA with the sharpness of MLAA (no blurring) and the subpixel quality of MSAA/SSAA - the best of all worlds. It's by far the best antialiasing solution out there right now IMO.
Old 07-03-2012, 08:57 PM   #355
mrblank

Quote:
It's by far the best antialiasing solution out there right now IMO.
No.

FXAA is easier to implement, just 1 render target/FBO iirc.
SMAA needs several, plus two texture samplers to sample from lookup tables.

What you get in quality, you lose in ease of implementation into your engine.
mrblank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 02:49 AM   #356
CTRL ALT DEL !

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblank View Post
No.

Easier doesn't mean better, I would rather spend an hour fiddling than have worse images.
Old 07-05-2012, 08:20 AM   #357
Lostie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblank View Post
No.

Whilst you may be technically correct regarding ease of implementation at the source code level, that is a moot point since the injectors make it equally easy for gamers to "implement" both, although this is not really proper implementation as they operate on the entire game including HUD and text (note: SMAA is far better than FXAA at avoiding text/HUD blurring if used in that manner).

Since most games do not implement either, all we have are the injectors plus any GPU driver-based AA's if we want antialiasing. It is this adding/injecting of post-AA into games to achieve both better performance and higher quality AA that I'm interested in, I mean who wouldn't want the same or better quality as 4-16X MSAA at the performance cost of roughly 2X MSAA? Both FXAA and SMAA tick these boxes for me, but SMAA does so with far less blurring.

Another factor making a direct comparison hard (if not impossible) are the multiple versions of both and large number of configuration options. FXAA3 has low/med/high presets which can be further customized, whereas SMAA has a number of temporal and spatial (T2X/S2X etc) modes, 3 methods of edge detection (luma/chroma/depth), and some really smart extra stuff like predicated thresholding.

For anyone still unconvinced by SMAA, take a look at THIS thread which shows off what a hand-tweaked SMAA injector can do.
Old 07-06-2012, 03:09 PM   #358
SuperGauntlet

Quote:
Whilst you may be technically correct regarding ease of implementation at the source code level, that is a moot point since the injectors make it equally easy for gamers to "implement" both, although this is not really proper implementation as they operate on the entire game including HUD and text (note: SMAA is far better than FXAA at avoiding text/HUD blurring if used in that manner).

Since most games do not implement either, all we have are the injectors plus any GPU driver-based AA's if we want antialiasing. It is this adding/injecting of post-AA into games to achieve both better performance and higher quality AA that I'm interested in, I mean who wouldn't want the same or better quality as 4-16X MSAA at the performance cost of roughly 2X MSAA? Both FXAA and SMAA tick these boxes for me, but SMAA does so with far less blurring.

Another factor making a direct comparison hard (if not impossible) are the multiple versions of both and large number of configuration options. FXAA3 has low/med/high presets which can be further customized, whereas SMAA has a number of temporal and spatial (T2X/S2X etc) modes, 3 methods of edge detection (luma/chroma/depth), and some really smart extra stuff like predicated thresholding.

For anyone still unconvinced by SMAA, take a look at THIS thread which shows off what a hand-tweaked SMAA injector can do.
I'm with you, SMAA @ 16x rivals CSAA @ x16. It's really quite impressive, considering that it's all done in post-processing.
SuperGauntlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 03:37 PM   #359
Ettanin

Netlimiter is btw warden-detected and may result in a Battle.net ban. (Upstream throttling to lag character position updates in order to make targeting harder [WoW]; Attempting to drop players as a host by outchoking upload [SC2])
Ettanin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 04:03 AM   #360
CTRL ALT DEL !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ettanin View Post
Netlimiter is btw warden-detected and may result in a Battle.net ban. (Upstream throttling to lag character position updates in order to make targeting harder [WoW]; Attempting to drop players as a host by outchoking upload [SC2])
I can imagine getting kicked because of throttled bandwidth, but as this can be caused by someone else on your connection uploading photo's or anything else for that matter, I seriously doubt that you would be banned.

If the server doesn't kick you for a poor connection, perhaps they should write that into the server code before banning people for a poor connection speed upload or download or both.

I suspect anyone saying they where banned for using netlimiter was actually cheating and not using netlimiter. Most cheaters hate to admit they were caught and try to blame anything else, here is a sample of the reasons I have been given for bans.

A virus
An antivirus program
Windows Update
Somebody else
Animals
and others as well.

If VAC bans you, you DID have modified files or a CHEAT running while you were playing... ALWAYS.

Also, I run netlimiter on every PC I have all 13 machines have VAC and Punkbuster games, NONE have ever been banned. Whoever was using this as an excuse for a ban was a liar in my opinion, unless that ban was manual and done because of using netlimiter to cheat by limiting upload after using it numberous times and getting enough complaints that a administrator joined and banned them. But I have never heard of that either.

Found this...
Quote:
FINALLY, NETLIMITER CAN NOT GET YOU SUSPENDED NO MATTER WHAT. WARDEN HAS NOT BEEN ABLE TO SCAN OUTSIDE OF WOW.EXE SINCE 2.0.1, AND NORMAL LAG CAUSES THE SAME EFFECT.

Exploring areas while you are lagging normally (without using NetLimiter) can get you suspended for repeated offenses if it is found you are doing it, since it technically is exploiting game mechanics to do the "impossible". This is not NetLimiter's fault, this is yours.
So all is well, if you use lag to cheat you can get banned.

But having net limiter on you computer does not cause a ban, in fact if used correctly would prevent the same bans you are talking about. If you have 10 computers and a shared 1000k upload, using netlimiter on each computer to restrict upload to 100k will make sure you have you 100k upload so you don't get banned.

Can this program be used to cheat, YES. Is in a cheat NO.

Having netlimiter on your computer is just like having Cheat engine on your computer. If it isn't being used to cheat, it will not get you banned. I believe that 30K upload would be plenty to play any game and I doubt anyone would set netlimiter lower unless they are using it to cheat or to limit uploads while torrenting. But most people would set the torrent program to be upload limited and not the entire PC, so it is hardly likely anyone would get banned without knowing that they were actually cheating.

I can use my config files in source games to set bandwidth limits on the games, so I doubt bandwidth would ever be a VAC issue with the source engine.

Last edited by CTRL ALT DEL !: 07-07-2012 at 05:11 AM.

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > VAC Discussion