Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > T - Z > Tribes: Ascend

Old 07-05-2012, 10:10 AM   #1
reaver117

Tribes Ascend Starter Pack; To get or not to get, that is the question.

I am downloading Tribes Ascend and I was wondering if the Starter Pack is worth the $20?
Old 07-05-2012, 10:17 AM   #2
Geoffery Dark

Banned
It's $20 now? Hm... It was $9.99 at first. That was a damn good deal.

But still... $20 for 4 weapons, 2 perks and 800 gold? All the stuff you get is at least $40 normally, so it's totally worth it.
Geoffery Dark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 10:17 AM   #3
deadlybydesign

IMO, no.

I recommend the $30 gold pack. That way, you have enough for a 90-day booster, and then ~2500 gold to spend. You'll want to use that gold on the 50-75% off daily deals. That's what I've done, and I've never felt like items were out of reach.

As long as you play for at least a win each day, the 90-day is an excellent gold use.
deadlybydesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 12:39 PM   #4
Richard M Nixon

umm, why not play the game for 10 or 20 hours and see if you like it before paying $$. I mean if you want to give your money away: https://www.google.ca/search?num=40&....0.v-meuxHvWuk
Richard M Nixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 01:26 PM   #5
deadlybydesign

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard M Nixon View Post
umm, why not play the game for 10 or 20 hours and see if you like it before paying $$.
While I'd normally agree, the double xp weekend is a good excuse to buy into a game that he likes so far.

Last edited by deadlybydesign: 07-05-2012 at 01:32 PM.
Old 07-05-2012, 01:37 PM   #6
oldbrokenlink

it was an amazing deal at $10

too bad you missed it

perhaps during steam sale they will have it discounted again
oldbrokenlink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 01:46 PM   #7
reaver117

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard M Nixon View Post
umm, why not play the game for 10 or 20 hours and see if you like it before paying $$. I mean if you want to give your money away: https://www.google.ca/search?num=40&....0.v-meuxHvWuk
That's what I was thinking. I just wanted some input. Thanks.
reaver117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 08:46 PM   #8
konfeta

So, wait, you can get the Steam Starter pack after you try the game out for free? As in combine whatever you already unlocked with the Starter Pack content?
konfeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 02:05 AM   #9
DeathTripp

I used to play Tribes about a decade ago; I put 10 hours in before I decided I wanted to buy the starter pack.

I missed out on the $9.99 deal because of my procrastination, but luckily I found another deal.

http://www.impulsedriven.com/tribesascend

•All Playable Classes (immediate unlock of Infiltrator, Sentinel, Pathfinder, Technician, Raider, Soldier, Doombringer, Brute, Juggernaut)
•Permanent VIP status – 50% XP Bonus in every match you play
•800 Gold
•30 Day XP Booster
•Spinfusor Weapon
•Thumper Weapon
•Mines
•Quick Draw Perk
•Bounty Hunter Perk
•Egocentric Perk

I decided to make a new account so I could get the most out of my starter pack; and I'll use my other account I put 10 hours into to give one of my friends a headstart.

Sure this starter pack is $13.49 but you all of the classes instead of just two, and the 30 day XP booster is awesome and worth more than $10 itself. It's a differen't deal and $3.50 extra than the steam deal, but I popped on it!!

It's been awesome mowing down noobs.

Thought I'd let you folks know.
DeathTripp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 05:37 AM   #10
Sian

That's a pretty darn good starter pack. Thanks for posting!
Sian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 06:07 AM   #11
deadlybydesign

DeathTripp's linked starter pack is really, really good. I wish I'd had that one two months ago.

/edit/
I have to say it again -- that Gamestop deal is downright amazing for $13.49. Even if you already have half of the content,i t's STILL worth getting. So, get it before it goes back to $30!

Last edited by deadlybydesign: 07-06-2012 at 06:20 AM.
Old 07-06-2012, 08:15 AM   #12
Preacher

I bought the starter pack before even playing the game initially. Mostly because I spent an insane amount of time playing Tribes 1 and 2 being my most favorite series of all time; and after watching a video to see the game was as fast as I liked I couldn't resist. And at less than $10 I felt it was a steal since I'd feel comfortable paying $50-$60 for the game in a store.

As a result, I don't regret it a bit. In fact knowing what I know now I'd still buy it at $20 if I hadn't already. It unlocks some core stuff that will give you a kick-start.

I then played for a bit and decided what classes and abilities I wanted next and unlocked them with XP I earned. I then got a little more tribes gold to get a fewer higher cost items to round out my skill set.

But next up I'm planning on buying the 90 day XP booster. At first I kind of ignored this, but for an avid player is a phenomenal deal. comes out to about 25 tribes gold per day and gives 1200 xp every day no matter what as well as doubles all other XP gained. That should be enough for me to unlock everything within that time frame.

All in all, if you can get what you want while paying less than the normal retail price of a game these days I consider it a win. And I don't have a problem with putting a little money in Hi-Rez's pocket to thank them for making a game I enjoy so much and encourage them to release more maps and content. People chipping in to help out will help the community thrive. At first I was a little apprehensive about it; but, the pay what you want model works for me.

Last edited by Preacher: 07-06-2012 at 08:17 AM.
Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 10:58 AM   #13
Whiterabbit01

This may be a little late in the day now as the Steam Starter pack seems to have been removed from the shop. I purchased it last year, but have never got around to logging into the game (actually forgot i'd purchased it)

Can anyone tell me whether all of the items in the starter pack will still be vaild for example the XP boost, or did that start wasting away the day I purchased the dlc? It's been at least a year since I bought it.

I see that now there's a Game of the Year Edition which costs £27,99. Is it worth getting this, or has the game died w.r.t. to player numbers.

Thanks in advance for answering.
Whiterabbit01 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > T - Z > Tribes: Ascend