Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > VAC Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-05-2012, 04:56 PM   #1
Ryvix
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Reputation: 1
Posts: 28
Trainers

Before making this thread i did a search so i wouldn't end up with the same question which has been asked before.

This may or may not be supported with VAC, but that doesn't mean Steam does not involve them self with the game itself.

As followed my question would be...
How does steam deal with trainers that alter the code of the game itself in singleplayer ?

I assume no action would be taken against it due to the fact that a singleplayer game has no effect or harms another player's joy in the game itself + a trainer has never worked in online gameplay to begin with.
Ryvix is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 05:50 PM   #2
Satoru
 
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Reputation: 4861
Posts: 10,756
Do not make this assumption!

There are lots of scenarios where you might get vac banned in single player.

1) if there is no actual "single player" like Dungeon Defenders
2) playing alone on a vac server is not "single player"
3) you leave the trainer running and go into multiplayer

As with all cheats use at your own risk.

Don't want to be vac banned? Dont cheat. Ever.
Satoru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 05:50 PM   #3
Rick Roll
 
Join Date: May 2012
Reputation: 463
Posts: 544
A lot of trainers you find on the net are full of viruses and I would recommend that you do not download them.

Before anyone could really say if you would be vaced or not we would have to know what game you’re talking about.
Rick Roll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 05:56 PM   #4
Ryvix
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Reputation: 1
Posts: 28
i have edited this post to clear a few things up

@Satoru
1. Shogun 2 has a singleplayer & can be played in offline mode
2. Shogun 2 has no VAC counter meassures since Valve is not the holder of the game
3. That would be plain stupid xD

@Rick Roll
what you say is correct, alot of trainers / cheats hold a loophole to harm your pc.
However Cheathappens has a reputation to hold up to and can vouch for them since i us my trainers from them since 2006 in singleplayer games.

This will also answer your question to which game i refer to
Shogun 2 & hes successors Rots & Fots

Last edited by Ryvix: 07-05-2012 at 06:04 PM.
Ryvix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 11:51 PM   #5
cylon
 
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Reputation: 780
Posts: 3,422
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryvix View Post
i have edited this post to clear a few things up

@Satoru
1. Shogun 2 has a singleplayer & can be played in offline mode
2. Shogun 2 has no VAC counter meassures since Valve is not the holder of the game
3. That would be plain stupid xD

@Rick Roll
what you say is correct, alot of trainers / cheats hold a loophole to harm your pc.
However Cheathappens has a reputation to hold up to and can vouch for them since i us my trainers from them since 2006 in singleplayer games. (It's also in Modern Warfare 3 - an Activision/Infinity Ward game, Killing Floor - a tripwire interactive game.. etc.)

This will also answer your question to which game i refer to
Shogun 2 & hes successors Rots & Fots
1. Games can have singleplayer and still be in control of VAC. Dead Island is a good example where the borders of Singleplayer and Multiplayer are VERY thin.

2. Shogun 2 DOES have VAC! It is shown on their store page http://store.steampowered.com/app/20..._7_suggest__13 where it clearly says "Valve Anti-Cheat enabled". Steam allows any publishers to use VAC in their game, it ISN'T solely resticted to Valve games.

3. You have to KNOW that when you click "exit" that this trainer doesn't leave anything running in memory. You have no idea how this trainer was written, how it works or what it does apart from letting you have 20 lives rather than 3.
cylon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 12:34 AM   #6
CTRL ALT DEL !
 
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Reputation: 2452
Posts: 3,413
The only 100% safe way to run some code you randomly downloaded off the internet and that can cause bans or itself be a keylogger or virus as well as being a trainer. (this does not mean that it will not run code that can destroy your hardware) eg. it wipes your bios and reboots or overclocks and fry's your chipsets cpu and ram.
(know what you are downloading and how to use it and scan it after downloading)


Is to use an entirely different OS on a different HDD and make sure your other HDD's are disconnected. Set up the game and put it in offline mode. Then only run the trainer while offline and never put that OS online again. If you think that is massive overkill, I can assure you many people have gotten keyloggers from downloaded cheats and modified files.

So many children used cheats and cracks that they are the most common methods of putting malicious software onto home computers other that required "drivers" or "codex" to watch pornography.
CTRL ALT DEL ! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 12:51 AM   #7
masterchef341
 
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Reputation: 722
Posts: 1,200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Satoru View Post
Do not make this assumption!

There are lots of scenarios where you might get vac banned in single player.

1) if there is no actual "single player" like Dungeon Defenders
2) playing alone on a vac server is not "single player"
3) you leave the trainer running and go into multiplayer
None of these are examples of getting VAC banned in single player.
masterchef341 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 01:24 AM   #8
Tito Shivan
 
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Reputation: 3390
Posts: 9,036
Quote:
Originally Posted by masterchef341 View Post
None of these are examples of getting VAC banned in single player.
The fact is that some games just don't have a proper 'singleplayer' mode... even for singleplayer play.
People fail to realize that there are games who just start a local server, VAC protected even for solo play.
(Although it's usually stated on loading screens, so in the end, read or die)
Tito Shivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 01:40 AM   #9
Satoru
 
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Reputation: 4861
Posts: 10,756
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryvix View Post
i have edited this post to clear a few things up

@Satoru
1. Shogun 2 has a singleplayer & can be played in offline mode
2. Shogun 2 has no VAC counter meassures since Valve is not the holder of the game
3. That would be plain stupid xD
You already made a bad assumption that Shogun2 is not VAC enabled, when it actually is.

If you think #3 doesn't happen then you're incorrect. Also there are examples of hacks that are poorly written and remain 'active' even when shut down. Many VAC disablers worked this way and VAC banned users from multiple games because of it.

Again USE THESE AT YOUR OWN PERIL

I am not going to tell you some trainer is 'safe'. Because it doesn't matter which one it is, there is probably some way in which you can brain fart your way to a VAC ban. It might be 'unlikley' but it's usually not impossible.

If you don't want to be VAC banned, don't cheat. Single or multi. Ever. DO NOT CHEAT AND YOU WILL NOT BE VAC BANNED. Use such programs at your own peril.
Satoru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 01:42 AM   #10
Satoru
 
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Reputation: 4861
Posts: 10,756
Quote:
Originally Posted by masterchef341 View Post
None of these are examples of getting VAC banned in single player.
Most people assumed Dead Island was 'single player' when it wasn't.

#3 is possible in certain games where the multi and single player exe are the same, so when you go into a VAC game the memory hook from your single player trainer triggers the VAC ban.

My point was more that 'single player' is very loosely defined and may not mean what you 'think' it means for a specific game.
Satoru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 03:23 AM   #11
Ryvix
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Reputation: 1
Posts: 28
So after reading all this i can assume it can get you banned but i still see no reason why you would get banned on a singleplayer game.

First my apology for assuming wrong if Shogun was not VAC while it actually is.
Let me correct myself in this that i purely aim towards singleplayer...

Considering shogun is a steam held game means that 99% chance the MP will be VAC controlled i never said that it wouldnt =).

Am just here to confirm weither steam involves themself in getting aroudn trainers with patches so people are forced to by the rules in singleplayer (not multiplayer) hell if it was multiplayer i'd never cheat anyway, wheres the fun in that

Also let me clear out my steam isnt banned or anything am just a curious costumer of the steam community

kind regards
Ryvix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 05:43 AM   #12
cylon
 
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Reputation: 780
Posts: 3,422
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryvix View Post
Am just here to confirm weither steam involves themself in getting aroudn trainers with patches so people are forced to by the rules in singleplayer (not multiplayer) hell if it was multiplayer i'd never cheat anyway, wheres the fun in that
It doesn't matter if it's single player or multiplayer. If VAC is running... and you are cheating then it will get picked up. You can cheat on a multiplayer game all you want, but if VAC isn't turned on then nothing will happen.

It's not the single/multiplayer part you want to be concerned with, it's the "is VAC turned on" part.
cylon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 08:24 AM   #13
Tito Shivan
 
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Reputation: 3390
Posts: 9,036
Quote:
Originally Posted by cylon View Post
It's not the single/multiplayer part you want to be concerned with, it's the "is VAC turned on" part.
It all boils down to that simple part.
Tito Shivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 05:31 PM   #14
Ryvix
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Reputation: 1
Posts: 28
But this basically is all singleplayer aimed to be honest, if a game is created it gets played the way it should be, but you can't force somebody to not play it their own desired way.

for example i usually play a game without cheats first to enjoy its content and untill the game got beaten on hardest difficulty, after that i'd play the game with a trainer just for the fun of it
Ryvix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 05:10 AM   #15
grigore
 
Join Date: May 2012
Reputation: 14
Posts: 90
I have been using trainers on steam for the SP part of games like Civ V,SW:EAW,MOW:AS,GTA IV,ME2,JC2,ME and these are just off the top of my head,I used them for many many games and am not VAC banned,first used them 1-2 years ago so I should've gotten a ban by now :P
grigore is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > VAC Discussion


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:09 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Site Content Copyright Valve Corporation 1998-2014, All Rights Reserved.