Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > # - C > ARMA series

Closed Thread

Old 07-08-2012, 11:19 PM   #1
xapped

Banned
Thumbs down Boycott Day Z / ARMA. Developer is transphobic and anti LGBT

The developer of Day Z, Rocket or Dean Hall, is inflicting his own outdated and insulting beliefs to everyone who plays Day Z.

At launch, you get a GIANT warning of how your gender is ONE TIME and is permanently bound. You can never change it.

This is just downright pathetic. First of all, gender is not binary. There are many people who identify themselves as something other than male or female, but I won't get into that.

Secondly, gender is not static. People can, and do change their sex / gender, and it's their choice. I'm not trans, but I fully support their cause of expressing themselves.

But if I played Day Z prior to that, I'll be forced to be male - something I don't want to be. There's a reason why there are sex changes. Gender is not static, it can be changed.

The developer of Day Z instead insists that it cannot be changed for no valid reason other than personal beliefs. The developer is also an employee of Bohemia Interactive, and can be said to represent ARMA in a way.

Bohemia should do the right thing and fire Dean Hall, for going against the LGBT movement and imposing his own anti-transgender beliefs. But what you can do is, don't buy Day Z. It's not worth it. And don't support an anti-LGBT company / individual. Support companies like Google who give you the option of selecting a non-binary gender, not selecting one at all, and changing it whenever you like.
Old 07-08-2012, 11:40 PM   #2
Zenstrive

Wow, religious war in a game discussion, very enlightening. Not.

So what if he has personal beliefs? He can not have it if it conflicts with yours? Is loving and hating LGBT a prerequisite of a virtue and a sin in your personal beliefs?

Then allow me to launch my personal belief to you:

Nature only produce TWO set of human: FEMALE and MALE. Gender is a cultural thing. Even "transfigured" human still has their natural set of chromosomes: XX and XY. Homosexualism tied strongly to psychological trauma (absent father, obsessed mother, etc) and hormone imbalance. There is also present Fake Homosexualism(those non-homoseksuals who clings to homosexuals for the benefits of whatever it is they believe they will gain).
All this whines about respecting LGBT? Preserving madness and slwoly decimating future of humans, is all I am saying.

There you go, my personal belief.
Old 07-09-2012, 12:29 AM   #3
xapped

Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenstrive View Post

So what if he has personal beliefs? He can not have it if it conflicts with yours? Is loving and hating LGBT a prerequisite of a virtue and a sin in your personal beliefs?

Nature only produce TWO set of human: FEMALE and MALE. Gender is a cultural thing. Even "transfigured" human still has their natural set of chromosomes: XX and XY. Homosexualism tied strongly to psychological trauma (absent father, obsessed mother, etc) and hormone imbalance. There is also present Fake Homosexualism(those non-homoseksuals who clings to homosexuals for the benefits of whatever it is they believe they will gain).
All this whines about respecting LGBT? Preserving madness and slwoly decimating future of humans, is all I am saying.

When did I ask you for your personal belief? Since you said it, I might as well respond.

What you are saying has being discredited in peer-reviewed studies in reputable scientific journals. I'd take that over PhD Zenstrive Sexuality Expert every day.

LGBTness isn't wrong, it isn't right. Being straight isn't wrong, it's not right. It's a preference shaped by your thoughts and your feelings, and everyone should be able to express it freely.

This isn't "you disagree with me, you should go to hell" like religion, everyone has their own personal beliefs and it's none of my business. But in this case, the dev is going out of way, and coding it specially so that you cannot change your gender, which is massively insulting to trans people.

There's a difference between expressing your beliefs and forcing others to conform to your beliefs. Imagine going to your local supermarket and having a giant red sign saying "BLACK PEOPLE NOT ALLOWED". Because the on-launch anti-trans sign is exactly that.

Back to my point, your personal belief is your personal belief, but you don't need to force it on other people. And I never asked you for your beliefs.
Old 07-09-2012, 01:10 AM   #4
b00tsy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenstrive View Post

Ohh right, homosexuals are that way because they have trauma's and a messed up psyche. Have you been raised by Mormons? And you are also wrong that a human can only be born male or female, infact (though rare) you can be born as both and even down to the DNA level.
Old 07-09-2012, 02:08 AM   #5
Overclocker_

I think you are making a mountain out of a mole hill.

It's a sodding video game for crying out loud.
Old 07-09-2012, 03:48 AM   #6
SpiritSharD

xapped; going around both the Steam and the DayZ forums complaining constantly about the mod is not going to put you in a good light. So far, all I see is someone out there looking to cause trouble for whatever reason. Clearly, you don't like the game/mod, and what you can do is quite simple; don't play the game, and don't visit related forums.

To say that the developer is transphobic is simply laughable. I'm sorry, but it is. I'm usually quite open-minded when it comes to people being offended by (lack of) content within video games, but this is just absurd and, like the poster above me said, you're making a mountain out of a mole hill. You're taking one tiny, insignificant part of the game and making too much of a fuss over it. I honestly cannot believe what I'm reading.
Old 07-09-2012, 04:12 AM   #7
Andreson

Banned
To be honest I really don't care about gender. Changing it is blasphemy in real world.
In the game it's a great way to find out if anyone is really male or female.
Old 07-09-2012, 04:54 AM   #8
MSTRB

I've seen it all now. People will take the tiniest fragment of information and snowball it totally out of control.

I mean.. REALLY? How on earth does that insinuate ANYTHING you've just said.

Please step off your high horse and find something better to do.

PS - I'm no homophobe. 7/10 of my closest friends are gay, with one considering to become a trans. If they seen the option in game, I very much doubt they'd think OMG THE DEV IS SO ANTI LGBT!1!1
Old 07-09-2012, 06:56 AM   #9
Angus Kart

Ummm.....

Troll.

Seriously, is your Troll detection capability really that bad or malfunctioning?

Last edited by Angus Kart: 07-09-2012 at 06:58 AM.
Old 07-09-2012, 08:32 AM   #10
PaiSand

It is simple, if you don't like it don't use it and don't recommend it, but going around asking for a boycott on a game just because you don't like something in it is childish and most probably will end causing the opposite effect you are looking for.

Anyway, I have lost 10 minutes of my free day reading this childish thread.
Old 07-09-2012, 09:19 AM   #11
wedieyounge

you again?

you're really jarateed wiv this mod, arent you?
Old 07-09-2012, 09:29 AM   #12
maturin

This is a troll and you've all been had.
Old 07-09-2012, 10:28 AM   #13
evildoer993

Here I sit
same as ever
took a dump
pulled the lever
the toilet clogged
the water flowed
look out world
it's the motherload.
Old 07-09-2012, 10:58 AM   #14
heffebaycay

Volunteer Moderator
I'm closing this thread, as nothing good is going to come out of it.
Closed Thread

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > # - C > ARMA series