Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > Skyrim, The Elder Scrolls V

Old 07-09-2012, 04:27 AM   #1
giskarduk

Skyrim Ragdol Bug: Headless Naked Guards Issue

Hello all

I have found that the bugs in Skyrim and the editor stopped me wanting to play the game for a while but now my Wizards of Winterhold mod finally feels like its complete and worth playing (its not, it just feels that way), I have been in the game for hours enjoying the wizard gameplay again.

But under 1.6 I am seeing the character animations for everything, Guards, Goats, Draugr, Bears you name it, randomly break and fix them selves.

This is not the sort of thing mods can effect, this is the game code.

When you see a naked headless guard with his arms stretched out, or a bear stood up right on his hind leg and slides across the landscape like some weird statue, that is because the ragdol functions that makes the movement look natural are missing. Probably failed to load at all.

It is like the part of the game engine that controls living things, fails to initialise the NPCs and creatures and you get the basic empty husk and nothing else.

I did everything I can think of to test for this and fix it, but this is clearly a 1.6 issue thats not going to be fixed until Beth fix it.

All of this is dangerous for saved games because this effects Radiant quest targets too, meaning if you have to recover something from a bandit or place something on his persons, and this bug hits him, your never going to be able to get the item in question. Just an example btw.

So the best advice I can give is not to do those sort of side quests whilst this bug is active.

Last edited by giskarduk: 07-09-2012 at 04:31 AM.
Old 07-09-2012, 05:15 AM   #2
MaintenanceMan

Maybe... but I have had the scare crow effect on animals in 1.5 as well. I don't think it's a 1.6 bug at all. My first character was played up level 75 with no mods and no rag doll issues until I started adding mods that introduced more NPC's and animals. There were other problems like bugged quests but most of them were caused by me roaming around killing every thing before I knew they were quest targets later on for the guild and radiant quests.

Do you know if there is an upper limit to the number of animated things the engine can cope with? I am suspecting there is and this combined with modified effects could be the cause of a lot of buggy animated objects.

I used to make maps and a lot of scripted mods for Call of Duty and I know for a fact that the engine could only cope with so much, especially when it came to the number of sounds it could load and use at any one time and also looped script events had to be carefully done.
MaintenanceMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 01:02 PM   #3
giskarduk

Its not an upper limit because the same scene will play fine half the time. Also Its not mods because this is happening in locations where no mods add any NPCs. The game only tracks certain types of npcs and then only up to 2 cells away. In these locations there where ZERO custom npcs to cause any problems like that and in the one place in my game where custom NPCS exist, this problem has not yet been seen.

Based on my own experiences, only default NPCs and Creatures seem to be affected so far. I am sure its linked to not loading all the data when you enter a cell.
giskarduk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 01:41 PM   #4
bdd458

I've had that happen once. Pretty funny stuff.

But there are these dead Couriers just dropping out of the sky when I enter a town or village for the first time, naked dead Couriers.

I've created a bit of Roleplaying to go along with that, the mysterious Courier Murderer . My character is on the hunt to find him, all while having to cope with the Thieves Guild, finding out he's the "Dragonborn" (I don't want that responsibility!), and those annoying Giants, always been a racist towards Giants.

I feel these Glitches have created far more fun times then bad :P
bdd458 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 02:02 PM   #5
Nakia

I had that start when doing the 1.6 Beta Patch. Mainly town guards that were headless and naked. Occasionally a bear with incorrect animations. Sometimes reloading solved the problem. Using the control then clicking the naked naked guard typing resurrect then enter solved the naked problem but not the animation.
Nakia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 03:00 PM   #6
MaintenanceMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by giskarduk View Post
Its not an upper limit because the same scene will play fine half the time. Also Its not mods because this is happening in locations where no mods add any NPCs. The game only tracks certain types of npcs and then only up to 2 cells away.
Yeah in Call Of Duty it was different, all data was loaded with the map and main scripts, but to reduce CPU/GPU strain and keep FPS up we used portals that blocked the engine from rendering things that could not be seen from the players POV.

Quote:
Originally Posted by giskarduk View Post
I am sure its linked to not loading all the data when you enter a cell.
I think your right there, on random occasions for me even parts of various dungeons failed to load and left voids for the player to fall through. So it's not just NPC's affected I would wager.
MaintenanceMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 03:58 AM   #7
giskarduk

It reminds me of the early skyrim game failing to load textures and leaving the in game objects purple, it seems to be an issue with skyrim. Other than when your doing quests (which can be dangerous to your saves and the quests), its actually harmless.
giskarduk is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > Skyrim, The Elder Scrolls V