Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Tool Discussions > Source Filmmaker

Old 07-13-2012, 10:09 AM   #1
Turtwig321

Question How do you use painted hats from TF2 in SFM?

I want to make a scene of "me" as engineer and I have a gold painted texas ten gallon on. How do I make the hat gold in SFM? (It is not in the skin options!)
Old 07-13-2012, 12:18 PM   #2
sd2k11

I am woundering how to do this too, unfortunately I don't know how to paint hats either. The only way I can think of is to actually edit/recolour the model itself using a 3D modeling program.
sd2k11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 01:49 PM   #3
gf1024

Bumping, I'm also interested in this.
gf1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 02:25 PM   #4
Relax Baby

I dont think the option is available yet. I know you can change the skins of a model when adding it from the animation section (those are generic though, red or blue, bloody or ubered), but like some else said, an outside program may be the only way for now.
Relax Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 03:38 PM   #5
Turtwig321

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Relax Baby View Post
I dont think the option is available yet. I know you can change the skins of a model when adding it from the animation section (those are generic though, red or blue, bloody or ubered), but like some else said, an outside program may be the only way for now.
Ugh, Photoshop kinda craps up the quality of textures and I am making high power shots on my high power PC. Crummy textures are unacceptable.
Turtwig321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 06:27 PM   #6
Relax Baby

Try downloading a trial of Maya or one of those 3d softwares or dl it somewhere free, and then look up a tutorial on painting models.

I know the new CS6 works with 3d models but i don't imagine it's that well.
Old 07-14-2012, 04:56 AM   #7
Devozade

Perhaps similarly to how you preview painted items in the model viewer, edit the vmts of said hat?
Devozade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 06:40 AM   #8
bakugov8

When you import the model of the hat there should be a part to select the skin, if that doesn't work then I don't know.
bakugov8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 08:57 AM   #9
Rawr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devozade View Post
Perhaps similarly to how you preview painted items in the model viewer, edit the vmts of said hat?
This. I just tried it, and it worked!

Follow this step-by-step guide:

1. Download and install VTFEdit.
2. Navigate to \Steam\steamapps\common\SourceFilmmaker\game\tf\ma terials\models\player\items\[CLASS] and find your hat's Valve Material File (.VMT). If you don't know the name of it, try opening the Valve Texture Files (.VTF:s) there and see if you recognize the texture.
3. Create a copy of the VMT, then open the original.
4. Find this line:
Code:
	"$colortint_base" "{248 252 243}"
The three numbers are the RGB (Red, Green, Blue) value for the base color of the unpainted item in-game. Change the value to that of your desired color.

If you want the exact color of a specific paint from TF2, go to the TF2 official wiki article on paint, find your paint, grab its Hexadecimal color code (under the Color column, starts with an #), then go to http://www.colorhexa.com/ and paste the hex code into the search field. Now, next to "RGB Decimal" you'll the numbers you should put into the VMT. Save the VMT.

5. Open up SFM and check out the hat. It should now be painted.

NOTE:
Every instance of the hat model will be painted, always, unless you go back to the VMT and revert the RGB value. That's why I made you save a copy of the original.
If you lose the original you can extract a new one from the TF2 materials GCF using GCFScape. (Remember to exit Steam before you go into the GCFs, though - I've heard that you can be Steam banned if you do the wrong thing while poking around in the files, but that might not be true.)

That's it for now, hope it helps!

I'm making a thread for this lil tutorial so others can see.
Rawr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 06:16 AM   #10
Relax Baby

Ahh, I just saw the video and was going to post it! Nice job Rawr, and thats for the tip about GFC, I did NOT know that :|

http://steamcommunity.com/id/nutella...85/?tab=public Heck yea!

Last edited by Relax Baby: 07-15-2012 at 07:19 AM. Reason: CUZ
Old 07-15-2012, 01:13 PM   #11
Turtwig321

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rawr View Post
This. I just tried it, and it worked!

Follow this step-by-step guide:

1. Download and install VTFEdit.
2. Navigate to \Steam\steamapps\common\SourceFilmmaker\game\tf\ma terials\models\player\items\[CLASS] and find your hat's Valve Material File (.VMT). If you don't know the name of it, try opening the Valve Texture Files (.VTF:s) there and see if you recognize the texture.
3. Create a copy of the VMT, then open the original.
4. Find this line:
Code:
	"$colortint_base" "{248 252 243}"
The three numbers are the RGB (Red, Green, Blue) value for the base color of the unpainted item in-game. Change the value to that of your desired color.

If you want the exact color of a specific paint from TF2, go to the TF2 official wiki article on paint, find your paint, grab its Hexadecimal color code (under the Color column, starts with an #), then go to http://www.colorhexa.com/ and paste the hex code into the search field. Now, next to "RGB Decimal" you'll the numbers you should put into the VMT. Save the VMT.

5. Open up SFM and check out the hat. It should now be painted.

NOTE:
Every instance of the hat model will be painted, always, unless you go back to the VMT and revert the RGB value. That's why I made you save a copy of the original.
If you lose the original you can extract a new one from the TF2 materials GCF using GCFScape. (Remember to exit Steam before you go into the GCFs, though - I've heard that you can be Steam banned if you do the wrong thing while poking around in the files, but that might not be true.)

That's it for now, hope it helps!

I'm making a thread for this lil tutorial so others can see.
WHOA! Thanks! You are awesome! I'm pretty knowledgeable of the workings of TF2 custom content so all I really needed to know was what line in the vmt to change, but really, thank you!

If you upload your tutorial to YouTube, or if it already is on YouTube, link me to it so I can favorite it and like it!
Turtwig321 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Tool Discussions > Source Filmmaker