Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > # - C > Assassin's Creed series

Old 07-14-2012, 11:32 AM   #1
Quizzman

Am I the only one having heavy save issues with the Uplay cloud on AC2 ?

Seriously, I lost 14 hours of gameplay... Twice.

Four days ago, I lost a gameplay session (~1h). That sucks, but eh, it's not like I could do anything.
OK that probably came from the save cloud, is what I said to myself. I disabled it, and then... A save from one hour after the start of the game is restored ! WTF
I re-enabled the cloud but the persistent save was the early one. Woohoo, 14 hours of gameplay wasted.

I contacted the support, which told me that it was a bug with Uplay, and now it should work.
Well, great. I tried to re-enable the saving cloud, and, good surprise, the save is back here ! (the one with 1h lost)
Ok the hour lost doesn't matter, that's great, I've just lived Eternal Darkness IRL.

I played a bit, stopped, and went to sleep. Today, I launch the game again, and guess what ? The progress is wasted again (the exact same save was restored).
This time, I start by doing a backup of my save, and then I try to disable the cloud.
... the same save, 14h ago, is restored. OK I'm in a nightmare. I try to re-enable the cloud, same story.

Well, I hope the backup will work this time. But guess what ? The backup was also a copy of this 14h-lost save !

Damn you Ubisoft. Why can't you just use steam like 99% of the editors ?
Old 07-14-2012, 01:12 PM   #2
D-Code

Started Assassins Creed 2 today and got that deja vu feeling after playing for a minute or two. Realized that I had lost like one hour of game time. I immediately got suspicious of the cloud save functionality in uplay. So, I did a quick search on google, and there I found your post.

Bottom line: you are not alone.

Just wondering what will happen when I start my next gaming session...
D-Code is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 02:55 PM   #3
Carm

After playing AC2 for 8 hours, I just logged back into the game and it's at the ing beginning now. Such a piece of service.

Edit: After doing some reading, you might get lucky like I did. In the ty uplay launcher click the cog and turn off cloud saves. My save worked after that.

Last edited by Carm: 07-14-2012 at 03:06 PM.
Carm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 04:11 PM   #4
WarNerve

exact same problem.... i log on, lost tons of hour of gameplay, sometimes i log in and i have about an hour lost, but then i do it again, and its back to square one... going to lose my . I dont even want to play anymore cause i know it will all be lost the next time i log in.

I've tried quite a few supposed "fixes" but none have worked...
WarNerve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 04:56 PM   #5
omninakago

Is this problem only in AC2, or does it apply to every game using cloud saves on Uplay?
omninakago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 04:43 AM   #6
Scared

Ubisoft released a few updates to the new UPlay that says it fixes the issue. The patch notes are dated 6/7th July but I only got them a few days ago.
Scared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 06:20 AM   #7
Quizzman

Okay so I have a good news: I highly believe I managed to bypass the problem. I also have a bad news, it's a bit complicated (acrobatic I should say), and I cannot thank Ubisoft for that.

Another good news: This method should work even with other games if you have some troubles with the Uplay save cloud.

First, let me explain how I proceeded, I'll explain the method a bit later in the post.
So. I hadn't given up to get my save back, even after five day of struggle. I did several tests, and I remarked that the Uplay cloud had a specific comportment. Indeed, if I put the cloud on, on the first launch, it's the save with only an hour lost that is used (let's say the "Save A", the good save). Then, if I close the game (but not Uplay) and launch it again, it's the save with only an hour of gameplay that is used (The "Save B", the bad save).
After that, it's only the Save B that is used (if I don't close Uplay between the launches, of course).

I tried to delete (move in fact) everything into the savegame and backup folder, but no matter what, it was always the Save A and the Save B that I meet, always in this order.

So this is what I did. And here comes the method.

1) I enabled the Uplay save cloud.
2) I launched my game, and verified that it was the Save A (the good save) that was used. I DIDN'T QUIT THE GAME, BUT DID AN ALT-TAB.
3) I went to the savegames folder in C:\Program Files (x86)\Ubisoft\Ubisoft Game Launcher\savegames\{RANDOM NUMBER}\ and copied the "4" folder in another place.
4) I left the game. Uplay did a sync (in fact changed the Save A for the Save B).
5) I disabled the Uplay save cloud.
6) (optional part) I checked with WinMerge that the two parts of the save where different. They were.
7) I replaced the backuped "4" folder into the savegames folder.
8) Launched the game again (this time Uplay does not try to replace my save)
9) ??????
10) PROFIT

I tried: This time, doing action is saved, whoohoo. I won't never ever again touch the Uplay cloud.

Hope it will help.

PS: My English is not perfect, if you don't understand something, feel free to ask me to reformulate, I'm not a native speaker.
Quizzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 05:28 PM   #8
Gdahia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quizzman View Post
Okay so I have a good news: I highly believe I managed to bypass the problem. I also have a bad news, it's a bit complicated (acrobatic I should say), and I cannot thank Ubisoft for that.

Another good news: This method should work even with other games if you have some troubles with the Uplay save cloud.

First, let me explain how I proceeded, I'll explain the method a bit later in the post.
So. I hadn't given up to get my save back, even after five day of struggle. I did several tests, and I remarked that the Uplay cloud had a specific comportment. Indeed, if I put the cloud on, on the first launch, it's the save with only an hour lost that is used (let's say the "Save A", the good save). Then, if I close the game (but not Uplay) and launch it again, it's the save with only an hour of gameplay that is used (The "Save B", the bad save).
After that, it's only the Save B that is used (if I don't close Uplay between the launches, of course).

I tried to delete (move in fact) everything into the savegame and backup folder, but no matter what, it was always the Save A and the Save B that I meet, always in this order.

So this is what I did. And here comes the method.

1) I enabled the Uplay save cloud.
2) I launched my game, and verified that it was the Save A (the good save) that was used. I DIDN'T QUIT THE GAME, BUT DID AN ALT-TAB.
3) I went to the savegames folder in C:\Program Files (x86)\Ubisoft\Ubisoft Game Launcher\savegames\{RANDOM NUMBER}\ and copied the "4" folder in another place.
4) I left the game. Uplay did a sync (in fact changed the Save A for the Save B).
5) I disabled the Uplay save cloud.
6) (optional part) I checked with WinMerge that the two parts of the save where different. They were.
7) I replaced the backuped "4" folder into the savegames folder.
8) Launched the game again (this time Uplay does not try to replace my save)
9) ??????
10) PROFIT

I tried: This time, doing action is saved, whoohoo. I won't never ever again touch the Uplay cloud.

Hope it will help.

PS: My English is not perfect, if you don't understand something, feel free to ask me to reformulate, I'm not a native speaker.
I was experiencing the same issue, but your solution worked perfectly! Thanks!
Gdahia is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > # - C > Assassin's Creed series