Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > T - Z > Toy Soldiers

Old 05-07-2012, 09:23 PM   #1
renraku

DO NOT PURCHASE

I've purchased two other games in my life with the same problem as this game. The problem is GFWL. It says 'Games for Windows - Live failed to initialize.' You'll have to spend HOURS troubleshooting just to play it if you have this problem, so figure those hours into the cost of the game. The problem is really common and Microsoft will do nothing to fix it besides telling you to reinstall and giving overly complex 'fixes' that never actually work.

Section 8 had a similar problem and it took me almost two full DAYS of troubleshooting to get it to work, and the problem RETURNED a week later. They will NOT give refunds on games that do not work. To top it off, the game DEFAULTS to a different language and is just a pathetic port of the Xbox 360 version.

If they fix these problems, the game would be worth buying, but as for now you're basically just throwing your money away.
Old 05-08-2012, 03:40 AM   #2
DonVino

could be a PICNIC. I had never ever a problem with GFWL in many years...or in other words

DON'T USE STEAM,IT HAS DOWNTIMES
DonVino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 09:39 AM   #3
Drowning Witch

i traded my copy away after reading all the crap about this game. no multiplayer, arrogant developers, no way to change controls, limited resolution support, gfwl.

its a cash grab and I will stay away from future games by this studio.
Drowning Witch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 04:29 AM   #4
Astrixzero

"OMG I purchased Half Life 2 in 2004 and the Steam client takes 2 hours to update!!! I'm boycotting Skyrim because I assume this is still happening!!!" - See how stupid OP's logic is.
Astrixzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 03:13 AM   #5
Nebz

Oh ty! I was about to buy it, I had no idea it had GFWL. You just saved me 10 bucks.
Nebz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 03:42 AM   #6
VimesUK

This game must have been one of the best that I have purchased and played for a long time.
When I completed the entire campaign I was amazed at finding there is a Campaign+, where I get to play as the Germans.
It has just been fun all the way with great animation and just the right balance, for me, of difficulty.

I haven't even tried the DLC as yet.

Sure there are shortcomings but considering the fun aspect and the sheer value for money I'm more then happy with my purchase.

GFWL put me off buying it but I am really glad that I did. It was an issue at first in creating an account but once done it has been fine.
VimesUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 05:37 PM   #7
rabu2u

Only negative I had was getting the registration key validated... had to go through more WL hassle, but finally got it working and this is a gem of a game. Lot's of fun, great graphics and action, amazing and worth a lot more then $10 !
rabu2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 02:39 PM   #8
jayguy508

the most annoying part about this game problem is the fact that NOTHING has been done about it. Absolute disgrace! I have always had problems with glitch after glitch after glitch. Steam have sold its customers a FAULTY game. I find it an insult that absolutley nothing has been done about this. Steam havent even bothered notifying us or updating us about this problem. I want this to be fixed or a refund of £4.99 if not i will never purchase anything of steam again. its been over TWO weeks , and you havent done anything at all. This game was a complete waste of time and money.
jayguy508 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 04:08 AM   #9
VimesUK

Just finished both the campaign and campaign+ now, been a great game so far.

Now on to the DLC...
VimesUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 02:03 PM   #10
Donathor

No problems for me either. Fun game to play. Sorry to hear people have problems with it.
Donathor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 06:06 PM   #11
forwardobserver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donathor View Post
No problems for me either. Fun game to play. Sorry to hear people have problems with it.
I agree. I've had a blast with this little game. Got it on sale for $7.50 and well worth the money. Will look forward to the modern combat Toy Soldier version when it gets ported over.

I had some issues with GFWL back when Fallout 3 came out, but I finally got them resolved. It is a bit of a clunky system, but I haven't had any issues with it since.

Cheers

Last edited by forwardobserver: 05-22-2012 at 07:14 PM. Reason: counted to 10
forwardobserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 12:51 AM   #12
stubbieoz

DO PURCHASE
This game is great and looks a treat at 1680 x 1050 on 22".
I feel sorry for the people that have problems but I'm just saying that not all people experience them.
I am no BIG fan of Steam or GFWL but neither give me any grief with this game on my 4 year old gaming pc.
stubbieoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 10:58 PM   #13
SapientWolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by stubbieoz View Post
DO PURCHASE
This game is great and looks a treat at 1680 x 1050 on 22".
I feel sorry for the people that have problems but I'm just saying that not all people experience them.
I am no BIG fan of Steam or GFWL but neither give me any grief with this game on my 4 year old gaming pc.
It's been out for two months and, as far as I know, they still haven't bothered to include the most popular resolution in PC gaming. I was looking forward to picking this up for the improved framerates over the console release but I can't support this. PC gamers deserve to be treated better than that.
SapientWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 09:20 AM   #14
PurSpyk!!

Suppport is extremely poor for this game, the developers are blaming Microsoft Certification. Odd other games released on GFWL get regular patches.

They should have released a resolution quick fix.
PurSpyk!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 09:11 PM   #15
Syldan

Aren't you a picky one. Had trouble with GfWL a few times, blame Microsoft, but always managed to defeat it. They seems to have heard your whines, they are having Steamworks implemented (still can choose GfWL). I play on 1360x768, an odd resolution if you ask me. Game plays nicely. There's a lack of multiplayer, so did Torchlight.

Now instead of acting like geniuses and requesting right here right now, go make your own games and deal with those certifications. What would you know of the backstory?
Syldan is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > T - Z > Toy Soldiers