Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Help and Tips

Closed Thread

Old 07-20-2012, 01:42 AM   #1
hahahehe

Game Content Conversion - WTF???

I just woke up and fired up Steam to check out the deals and such, after a few mins of looking i noticed the steam icon in my taskbar had a download bar running through it even though steam gave no indication that it was downloading. Confused i manually opened up Steams download manager/page (whatever you wanna call it) to find Age Of Empires Online was listed as downloading but was paused. This game was 100% ready to play yesterday so thinking it was likely just a bug i clicked the unpause button. I was then greeted with a new dialog box saying

Quote:
Game Content Conversion -

Steam needs to convert the game content for Age Of Empires Online to a newer and more efficient format. This will require an internet connection for a few minutes' time.
Anyone else had this and can anyone shed some light on what is happening?
Old 07-20-2012, 01:42 AM   #2
voodoodude

Banned
yes it happens on some games, for me was shank 2 and others i cant remember
Old 07-20-2012, 01:43 AM   #3
ben583

Oh, that must be the new and improved updating system, I believe.
Old 07-20-2012, 01:44 AM   #4
Hauzer

I've had this for tons of games lately
Old 07-20-2012, 01:46 AM   #5
0xiDIzE

Banned
It's exactly as the message says. It's a conversion to a more efficient format that allows updates to add to existing data rather than requiring some of that data to be re-acquired with update data. Basically it will make future patch downloads smaller in size.

Not all games support it, but then, most older ones don't need to. For those that do need converting, it only takes like thirty seconds, usually coupled with a small download.

Last edited by 0xiDIzE: 07-20-2012 at 01:48 AM.
Old 07-20-2012, 01:47 AM   #6
pizzahut

Yes had this happen one time, can't quite remember which game it was though.

Last edited by pizzahut: 07-20-2012 at 02:00 AM.
Old 07-20-2012, 01:47 AM   #7
hahahehe

Thanks for the replys all.

Anyone got a link to any documentation on the new updating system or any news or announcments from Valve about it (just for my own curiosity really) or even better, maybe a Valve Employee could grace us with their presense and explain the ins and outs.
Old 07-20-2012, 01:47 AM   #8
Dsc

I've had it happen with Killing Floor, but since I leave my Steam open all the time I'm sure it's happened with several more games.
Old 07-20-2012, 02:14 AM   #9
Epsilon

Quote:
Originally Posted by hahahehe View Post
Thanks for the replys all.

Anyone got a link to any documentation on the new updating system or any news or announcments from Valve about it (just for my own curiosity really) or even better, maybe a Valve Employee could grace us with their presense and explain the ins and outs.
http://store.steampowered.com/news/5856/

I'll have a go on some of the ins and outs.

It is an entirely new way for Steam to deal with managing and downloading content; everything is brand-new, from the way Steam deals with content metadata, to the server code, to the client code, to the way you publish content to it, which sort of makes deciding where to start sorta tricky. It modernises the heck out of the whole system.

In no particular order:
  • New metadata system, that only downloads metadata for games you actually own, not every piece of content on Steam
  • Patches are built in a separate area of disk, so the install isn't overwritten as it's patching (which means an in-progress patch won't break a game for offline mode, for instance)
  • HTTP-based, which means it is easily cacheable by your ISP, and makes it possible to rent in 3rd party CDN capacity
  • 3rd party CDN capacity means better response at peak times
  • Delta-patching (only changes to files are downloaded, not whole changed files)
  • Queuing functionality (it will update one game at a time, in sequence)
  • New publishing tools (3rd party devs can publish updates right to the content servers, no need to send it to Valve)
  • In some ways actually less complex than the old system; needs to touch disk a lot less for routine tasks, so it'll boost Steam client performance
  • Games can now have individual beta branches, no more setting a global client setting to get into a game beta (like the Skyrim patch betas)

It's pretty good stuff all round. The third-party CDN bit is really cool, IMHO. Recently during the sale they've set it so that new content system downloads don't use the content servers at all, they're solely being served by the Limelight and Highwinds CDNs. This takes load off the content servers so that they can dedicate their bandwidth to old content system games.

The other really major plus is that it'll allow them to finally get rid of some of the oldest code that remains in Steam.

For instance, the majority of the data in the clientregistry.blob file is the CDR, or CDDB, which is a metadata listing of every piece of content on Steam. That system's being replaced, so that data'll go; the file will shrink from 3 MB down to around 40 kB, or even less as that file's used for fewer and fewer things.
Old 07-20-2012, 03:04 AM   #10
hahahehe

Nice, TY Epsilon.

Have some rep for your efforts
Old 07-29-2012, 09:31 AM   #11
Fidgeter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epsilon View Post

It is an entirely new way for Steam to deal with managing and downloading content; everything is brand-new, from the way Steam deals with content metadata, to the server code, to the client code, to the way you publish content to it, which sort of makes deciding where to start sorta tricky. It modernises the heck out of the whole system.

In no particular order:
  • New metadata system, that only downloads metadata for games you actually own, not every piece of content on Steam
  • Patches are built in a separate area of disk, so the install isn't overwritten as it's patching (which means an in-progress patch won't break a game for offline mode, for instance)
  • HTTP-based, which means it is easily cacheable by your ISP, and makes it possible to rent in 3rd party CDN capacity
  • Delta-patching (only changes to files are downloaded, not whole changed files)
  • New publishing tools (3rd party devs can publish updates right to the content servers, no need to send it to Valve)
  • In some ways actually less complex than the old system; needs to touch disk a lot less for routine tasks, so it'll boost Steam client performance
  • Games can now have individual beta branches, no more setting a global client setting to get into a game beta (like the Skyrim patch betas)

It's pretty good stuff all round. The third-party CDN bit is really cool, IMHO. Recently during the sale they've set it so that new content system downloads don't use the content servers at all, they're solely being served by the Limelight and Highwinds CDNs. This takes load off the content servers so that they can dedicate their bandwidth to old content system games.

The other really major plus is that it'll allow them to finally get rid of some of the oldest code that remains in Steam.

For instance, the majority of the data in the clientregistry.blob file is the CDR, or CDDB, which is a metadata listing of every piece of content on Steam. That system's being replaced, so that data'll go; the file will shrink from 3 MB down to around 40 kB, or even less as that file's used for fewer and fewer things.
Thank you for this. I was wondering why some of my games wouldn't stay automatically updated and when I went to run them I got the prompt to convert it to the newer more efficient format. At first I thought it was just a Payday thing but Killing Floor did it as well.

If I could give +rep I would. heh. Sorry
Old 07-29-2012, 09:37 AM   #12
Masacru

I just got this for men of war, it hung a bit after it started updating but i guess it works fine now.
Old 07-29-2012, 10:21 AM   #13
ititj

i havent seen downloads like this for any of my games yet, and i have over 100. do these downloads remove themselves from the download history when they are done? or do they only convert on game launch (i have only been playing 2 or 3 games lately)
Old 07-29-2012, 10:23 AM   #14
Iceman28001

Banned
HAHAHEHE!
Old 07-29-2012, 10:40 AM   #15
Apples2Apples

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epsilon View Post

In no particular order:

Quick Version:

Quicker Patching
Smaller Downloads
Closed Thread

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Help and Tips