Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > D - G > F.E.A.R. series

Old 07-20-2012, 04:10 PM   #1
eveningninja

Should I get the FEAR collection?

According to metacritic, Fear 1 is by far the best of the three. Are the other two worth buying for now (while they're on sale) or should I just buy Fear 1 and play that and be done with it?

Thanks.
Old 07-20-2012, 04:18 PM   #2
TheGuvernor

FEAR 1 is arguably one of the greatest shooters ever made, an absolute rip roaring classic. Looks a bit dated but still spectacular IMHO.

FEAR 2 & 3, I found immensely enjoyable, despite a less than favourable response from die hard FEAR fans.

If you enjoy balls to the walls shooters, brilliant AI, a creepy vibe & gratuitous violence in your video games you can't go wrong.

Buy it.
TheGuvernor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 04:26 PM   #3
Zekiran

Definitely. What TheGuvernor says is absolutely true.
Zekiran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 06:31 PM   #4
eveningninja

Thanks. So, just to clarify, would I be missing out to only buy FEAR 1 and not 2 and 3 as well? Is the experience something new or is it just rehashed gameplay with more advanced graphics? It's just that I have lots of games to play anyhow and if 2 and 3 don't offer nearly as much as 1, then I don't necessarily feel compelled to play all three unless it makes the gameplay a more complete experience.
eveningninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 06:45 PM   #5
Zekiran

They are all extremely fun games. That's why you should buy them.

Whether they have a coherent story (some say yes, some say no) is up to you to decide. It's certainly NOT 'rehashed game play' from 1 to 2 to 3. They're not necessarily a logical progression, each one offers different types of play in different venues. But basically for sheer fun, all three of them offer something slightly different in the setting of a single over-arching story.
Zekiran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 07:47 PM   #6
Hertston

What they said. All three offer something different, and certainly with FEAR 2 most of the complaints were because it wasn't 'just rehashed gameplay with more advanced graphics'.

Don't overlook the superior multiplayer in FEAR 3. Co-op is exceptional, and if you can find anyone to play it the PvP is a good laugh as well. It's one of a run of games where the devs tried to introduce innovative, different and generally mucho fun MP that was pretty much ignored, others being the hugely under-rated Singularity, Bioshock 2 and Dead Space 2.
Hertston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 08:17 PM   #7
TheGuvernor

Hertston is absolutely right about FEAR3 coop, it was exceptional.

All 3 games were day 1 purchases for me & it was too bad FEAR 3 didn't take off - best coop since L4D.
TheGuvernor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 08:28 PM   #8
MADDOGGE

You can't really go wrong for the price. You are getting basically 5 games and one DLC. I say 5 games because EP amd PM are full expansion packs and are at least as long as average modern day FPS full games are.

Last edited by MADDOGGE: 07-20-2012 at 08:34 PM.
MADDOGGE is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > D - G > F.E.A.R. series