Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Help and Tips

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-20-2012, 11:18 PM   #1
bannoura
 
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Reputation: 134
Posts: 595
Drive : San Francisco

Finally decided to buy it, had to log in uplay or some crap, that made ma bit unhappy, but I am cool. I have a bit of problem with graphics though, the game freezes for 2 seconds almost every minute or so then just continues. Anyone who bought it experienced this?

here are my PC specs

Intel i7 2600 @ 3.40Ghz
Nvidea 580 gtx
16GB of ram

Ir runs really smooth maxed out but like I said it freezes for a few seconds

Also When i try to go online, it keeps saying server is unavailable or something.

Plz help if possible, thank you
bannoura is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 11:27 PM   #2
Doctax
 
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Reputation: 30
Posts: 149
I'm not sure but you could always try defragging your hard disk.
Doctax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 11:30 PM   #3
eker676
 
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Reputation: 2
Posts: 26
I heard that Driver: SF was a crappy console port with horrible optimization. Defragging does very little in this day and age unless you've been on the same pc for ten years.

Try turning on Vsync if there is an option.
eker676 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 11:32 PM   #4
fluffnugget
 
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Reputation: 1046
Posts: 1,352
Quote:
Originally Posted by eker676 View Post
I heard that Driver: SF was a crappy console port with horrible optimization. Defragging does very little in this day and age unless you've been on the same pc for ten years.

Try turning on Vsync if there is an option.
Turning off VSYNC may also help if he hasn't tried that already, fixes stutter/freezing in some games for me. Driver ran great for me.. no framerate drops below 60 FPS or anything.
fluffnugget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 11:32 PM   #5
tominater12
 
 
 
Join Date: May 2010
Reputation: 5
Posts: 198
Not your computer, it is the crappy ubisoft drm. To fix it you will need to play the game in offline mode and block the game in your firewall until the strain on ubisofts drm service dies down.
tominater12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 01:27 AM   #6
MeestaNob!
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Reputation: 2
Posts: 472
Quote:
Originally Posted by bannoura View Post
Finally decided to buy it, had to log in uplay or some crap, that made ma bit unhappy, but I am cool. I have a bit of problem with graphics though, the game freezes for 2 seconds almost every minute or so then just continues. Anyone who bought it experienced this?

here are my PC specs

Intel i7 2600 @ 3.40Ghz
Nvidea 580 gtx
16GB of ram

Ir runs really smooth maxed out but like I said it freezes for a few seconds

Also When i try to go online, it keeps saying server is unavailable or something.

Plz help if possible, thank you
Are you running it via a monitor or a TV?

D:SF has an issue where when run on a TV it will often default to the LOWEST refresh rate the TV is capable of (eg 24Hz). Combined with vsync this makes a mess of the frame rate. You may still experience this error on some monitors, I don't know.

The game has no capability for setting the refresh rate, so instead you will need to set you resolution to that of your desktop and run the game in a window, and that will ensure the game runs at your desktops resolution and refresh rate. You can then use vsync without stuttering.

Also, your connection issues are because uPlay is a stonking piece of sh*t.

Last edited by MeestaNob!: 07-21-2012 at 01:30 AM.
MeestaNob! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 01:32 AM   #7
voodoodude
 
Banned
Join Date: Dec 2011
Reputation: 102
Posts: 807
Quote:
Originally Posted by eker676 View Post
I heard that Driver: SF was a crappy console port with horrible optimization. Defragging does very little in this day and age unless you've been on the same pc for ten years.

Try turning on Vsync if there is an option.
you heard bull
i have a much worse pc than op, and works flawlessly
also the graphics are kinda outdated so make sure to grab enbseries for it
voodoodude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 01:34 AM   #8
Dooms_knight
 
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Reputation: 5
Posts: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoodude View Post
you heard bull
i have a much worse pc than op, and works flawlessly
also the graphics are kinda outdated so make sure to grab enbseries for it
Same here, my PC is lower spec too and it runs perfectly fine. No issues.
Dooms_knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 01:43 AM   #9
freibooter
 
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Reputation: 986
Posts: 3,141
The port itself isn't bad, but it is indeed crippled by Ubisofts DRM - the game even freezes during the videos - every time it tries to contact the uplay DRM server there is a 2-3 second pause.

You can block all outgoing traffic for driver.exe in your firewall and it will run smooth as butter, but you won't earn uplay points, you won't be able to unlock more content with said points and you can't access multiplayer or "extra" content.

Alternatively, you can wait until Ubisofts decides to upgrade their servers or the load dies down after enough people have given up on the game.

This is simply a case of DRM run amok ...
freibooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 02:38 AM   #10
DonMendonsa
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Reputation: 3
Posts: 43
The DRM isn't the issue =~=
Jesus. Everyone get off of hating Uplay. The only issue Uplay has is it's connectivity. It itself, does not affect ANY game or gameplay. This is simply a graphics issue. Turn of Vsync if you can. Most people with high end computers never realize this which I find funny since they have such a good computer, you'd figure they know what's best for it and what isn't. If you're still having a problem after Vsync is off, switch around settings to see if it's located around anyone in particular. If you spot it, forum-rush the problem and get it fixed.
DonMendonsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 02:47 AM   #11
Angus Kart
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Reputation: 210
Posts: 1,404
You are wrong they have already fixed the issue by blocking with a firewall.

Now why do you think that blocking net access for an offline mode singleplayer game will fix the problem? Because of the drm

How the heck could vsync cause a full 2 second pause every minute or so? Thats just ridiculous

Last edited by Angus Kart: 07-21-2012 at 02:49 AM.
Angus Kart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 02:59 AM   #12
freibooter
 
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Reputation: 986
Posts: 3,141
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angus Kart View Post
Now why do you think that blocking net access for an offline singleplayer game will fix the problem?
1. Because I, and most other people trying to currently play it, experienced the exact same problem!
2. Because blocking outgoing traffic for driver.exe via the Windows Firewall (Vista and higher) fixed it 100% for me and others.
3. Because the root cause of this problem is not a GPU, Vsync or performance problem (the port itself is actually a rather well made one) - but Ubisoft's highly invasive and initally "always-on" Uplay DRM and the fact that its server apparently can't handle the increase in players caused by the current sale.

While the "always on" requirement has been deactivated a while ago, the game apparently still tries to contact the uplay servers every ~30-90 seconds - even in single player and during cut-scenes. The timeout or delayed or malformed response from the DRM servers causes the 2-3 second freezes that currently almost everyone seems to be experiencing.
Blocking driver.exe from accessing the Internet makes these request fail immediately and it eliminates or massively reduces the freezes.

This makes the game playable - but also kills multiplayer, all the uplay rewards, achievements and bonus content.

DonMendonsa, you couldn't be more wrong on this one!
freibooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 04:51 AM   #13
Mogget128723
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Reputation: 0
Posts: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by freibooter View Post
1. Because I, and most other people trying to currently play it, experienced the exact same problem!
2. Because blocking outgoing traffic for driver.exe via the Windows Firewall (Vista and higher) fixed it 100% for me and others.
3. Because the root cause of this problem is not a GPU, Vsync or performance problem (the port itself is actually a rather well made one) - but Ubisoft's highly invasive and initally "always-on" Uplay DRM and the fact that its server apparently can't handle the increase in players caused by the current sale.

While the "always on" requirement has been deactivated a while ago, the game apparently still tries to contact the uplay servers every ~30-90 seconds - even in single player and during cut-scenes. The timeout or delayed or malformed response from the DRM servers causes the 2-3 second freezes that currently almost everyone seems to be experiencing.
Blocking driver.exe from accessing the Internet makes these request fail immediately and it eliminates or massively reduces the freezes.

This makes the game playable - but also kills multiplayer, all the uplay rewards, achievements and bonus content.

DonMendonsa, you couldn't be more wrong on this one!
Man, this is ing insane. Everyone knew the Steam sale was coming, but Driver: SF is the SECOND game I've had server-related problems with because the distributors simply weren't up to par. The first one was Burnout: Paradise, where they ran out of CD keys and haven't been able to get more yet.

This is the kind of stuff you PLAN for. You WILL get increased traffic, and you need to be able to handle it! And yet, it baffles me every time a distributor waddles into a situation like this with no premeditation whatsoever. You'd think I'd have come to expect it by now.
Mogget128723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 08:00 AM   #14
Angus Kart
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Reputation: 210
Posts: 1,404
Quote:
Originally Posted by freibooter View Post
1. Because I, and most other people trying to currently play it, experienced the exact same problem!
2. Because blocking outgoing traffic for driver.exe via the Windows Firewall (Vista and higher) fixed it 100% for me and others.
3. Because the root cause of this problem is not a GPU, Vsync or performance problem (the port itself is actually a rather well made one) - but Ubisoft's highly invasive and initally "always-on" Uplay DRM and the fact that its server apparently can't handle the increase in players caused by the current sale.

While the "always on" requirement has been deactivated a while ago, the game apparently still tries to contact the uplay servers every ~30-90 seconds - even in single player and during cut-scenes. The timeout or delayed or malformed response from the DRM servers causes the 2-3 second freezes that currently almost everyone seems to be experiencing.
Blocking driver.exe from accessing the Internet makes these request fail immediately and it eliminates or massively reduces the freezes.

This makes the game playable - but also kills multiplayer, all the uplay rewards, achievements and bonus content.

DonMendonsa, you couldn't be more wrong on this one!
Did you miss the part where I said it was becuase of the DRM?
Why di d you quote me when you are replying to DOnMendonsa
Angus Kart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 10:25 AM   #15
bannoura
 
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Reputation: 134
Posts: 595
ok thx alot for the help guys, i'll play around with my Graphics settings, I had to head to bed right after i started the thread and now I am at work, but will check it out later today, I hope it's just a little graphic tweak, i don't want to block it from firewall .
bannoura is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Help and Tips


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:52 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Site Content Copyright Valve Corporation 1998-2014, All Rights Reserved.