Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > Ridge Racer Unbounded

Old 03-31-2012, 09:44 AM   #16
fiskfisk

To further extend this; changing layouts doesn't make anything work, but it seems that the same buttons that worked previously still work.

Playing by keyboard works, although while driving the PRESS CTRL TO .. text keeps reappearing each time a button is pressed (regardless of the current power-state). The gamepad vibrates while playing by keyboard.

Complete DXDIAG

The d-pad works as it should to change music, and the right analog stick allows you to look behind the car.

Last edited by fiskfisk: 03-31-2012 at 10:31 AM.
fiskfisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 04:58 AM   #17
fiskfisk

SOLVED! (for myself, at least)

After spending some time debugging this again today, it seems I've finally solved my own issue. I found out that I still had an lingering entry for a Wii controller that was connected to the PC earlier. Here's how you can find out if you have any other devices connected that might identify themselves as a game controller:

Go to "Control Panel" and "Devices and printers" and right click on the X360 controller, selecting "Game Controller Settings". This should give you a list of Installed game controllers (using Advanced settings and making sure that the Xbox 360 controller was set as default didn't change anything, neither did properties and a calibration). If you have more than one entry here, make a note of which device identifies itself as a game controller. Go back to "Devices and printers", and remove that device (right click and select disconnect/remove) - restart RRU and hopefully things should actually work now.

I did also install the X360 accessories pack which may have installed new drivers (but this didn't help by itself, at least), but I don't think this is connected to actually making it work. It seems that RR:U initializes another controller (even if it's not available (the Wii controller is Bluetooth, after all), as long as it's available in the devices list) as the primary controller when it starts the game.

It's most certainly a bug, and will need a patch to fix properly (having to rediscover/reinitialize the Wii controller each time isn't an option in the future..).

I'd be very interested in seeing if anyone else can discover the same cause through the game controller overview!
fiskfisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 05:24 AM   #18
fredizzimo

Thank you for narrowing this down.

It seems that the game blindly uses the first XInput compatible controller it finds.

I'm very sorry for these input issues, we didn't have much resources available for doing the PC version, and our input system is not very easy to work with. I was also assuming that we did support steering wheels, since I saw one at a guys desk once.

I will try to do my best on Monday to to get some people allocated to doing a proper input system with custom layouts, anything else is clearly not acceptable on PC IMO. But I'm not in position to promise anything, so don't thank me yet.

Fred from Bugbear
fredizzimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 09:56 AM   #19
Topshmups

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiskfisk View Post

After spending some time debugging this again today, it seems I've finally solved my own issue. I found out that I still had an lingering entry for a Wii controller that was connected to the PC earlier. Here's how you can find out if you have any other devices connected that might identify themselves as a game controller:

Go to "Control Panel" and "Devices and printers" and right click on the X360 controller, selecting "Game Controller Settings". This should give you a list of Installed game controllers (using Advanced settings and making sure that the Xbox 360 controller was set as default didn't change anything, neither did properties and a calibration). If you have more than one entry here, make a note of which device identifies itself as a game controller. Go back to "Devices and printers", and remove that device (right click and select disconnect/remove) - restart RRU and hopefully things should actually work now.

I did also install the X360 accessories pack which may have installed new drivers (but this didn't help by itself, at least), but I don't think this is connected to actually making it work. It seems that RR:U initializes another controller (even if it's not available (the Wii controller is Bluetooth, after all), as long as it's available in the devices list) as the primary controller when it starts the game.

It's most certainly a bug, and will need a patch to fix properly (having to rediscover/reinitialize the Wii controller each time isn't an option in the future..).

I'd be very interested in seeing if anyone else can discover the same cause through the game controller overview!
Same thing here removed the wii controller from devices and my xbox controller works fine now. Thanks for the tip
Topshmups is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 11:47 AM   #20
Baresark

Wow, what waste. I got it to work, but in order to use it I have to remove my G13. The pain in the balls about that whole thing is I use it for all of my Keyboard shortcuts for Photoshop, which I use every single day, most of the day. I also use it for other games I play. It's really a pain to buy a product and have it with a conflict problem because of ty porting. It was a waste. I should have held off till it was on a big sale. Inhibiting my work flow for a game is clearly not worth it.

Developers need to realize that stuff like this is what makes gamers not buy their products. And this could have been foreseen with just a little testing. Testing makes all the difference between a good release and a bad release. And the excuse that testing costs money is a fallacy. They just need it to be tested by people who are interested in playing racing games. They could have sent an email to Steam clients in a specific region and asked if they were interested. It wouldn't have cost them much money. Now I have a game that I can play instead of working or playing other games. No thanks.

Sorry, I ranted, it's just annoying.
Baresark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 12:16 PM   #21
Jason9811

Yeah I have a logitech controller hooked up but I can't quite "remove" it and to be honest I don't want to. The drift button doesn't drift but everything else seems to work, it's . I was hesitant to buy it but to my stupidity I did. Now I have to suffer through it until they fix the darned game ._.
Jason9811 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 11:47 PM   #22
AirBreddles

Angry Controls not working

Hi,

I have the same issue - Windows 7 64 Bit - my 360 wireless pad works throughout the menus then just stops working ingame as do the keyboard controls - camera button works but triggers and steering do not. Tried new drivers for pad - I also tried the method given above re removing other contollers, I have nothing in Devices but suspect there maybe a conflict with this and my Belkin N95e. Not going to rant but poor show guys - I love Ridge Racer and was hyped when I saw the great job Bugbear had made of revamping the the series, really disappointed a fundamental issue like this wasn't picked up during QA - I'm not bothered by the fact its not a great port I just wanna play it. Please sort this out - paid full price and now just feel shafted.

Thanks,

AB
AirBreddles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 12:48 PM   #23
Wimmel

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiskfisk View Post

After spending some time debugging this again today, it seems I've finally solved my own issue. I found out that I still had an lingering entry for a Wii controller that was connected to the PC earlier. Here's how you can find out if you have any other devices connected that might identify themselves as a game controller............
Solved with your tip. Only I've just disabled the bluetooth dongle through which I connect the Wii controller. It's easier, because after a re-enable, the Wii mappings still function.
Wimmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 09:28 AM   #24
stanfield81

I too and one of the many people with this issue. My controller choice doesn;t seem to be saved. Menu navigation works fine :/

Oh, and down on the Right Analogue seems to work and the Back button seems to assigned to Drift when pressed although the gamepad configuration claims that the Back button isn't used.

EDIT: I think it's the analogs and triggers only that are not working.

Last edited by stanfield81: 07-21-2012 at 09:43 AM.
stanfield81 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > Ridge Racer Unbounded