Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Tool Discussions > Source Filmmaker

Old 07-23-2012, 07:08 PM   #1
JetsamXYZ

[Suggestion] Support for multiple maps in one video?

(As far as I can tell,) Source Filmmaker does not support using multiple maps in a single project. This means that an entire project has to be done in one map, which would not work well with intricate video ideas that require several sets.

Could it be possible to have a project contain multiple maps, and some sort of tab to switch between the map currently loaded? While you work on the project in one map, parts of the project that aren't situated on that map would be greyed out and uneditable until you switch back to the map that they are appended to.
Old 07-23-2012, 07:14 PM   #2
Pistachio

While that feature would be great, it isn't terribly hard to edit together sessions from different maps using basic video editing programs like vegas, premiere, final cut pro, or avid.

Hell, even After Effects would suffice for splicing together different clips. That's what I'm using
Pistachio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 07:16 PM   #3
Sidec_Ibidis

I actually use Windows movie maker, even though it's bare minimum it works perfectly.

Though I do admit it is a pain in the butt to create a new session, render the scene and clip it to the other video just for a real quick cut-away moment.
Sidec_Ibidis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 08:04 PM   #4
Dunnerski

Only suggestion I could have for you is to open up the vmfs, edit out the parts of the maps your not using, splice together the parts of the maps you are and doing it that way if you really don't want to edit the video.
Dunnerski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 09:25 PM   #5
MigX

I've read about SFM having support for multiple maps, but I can't for the life of me find the page I was on.

All you had to do was create a new sequence then load another map.

Really RAM heavy though.

EDIT: Found it

But it involves use of that risky element viewer, not creating a new sequence, my bad.

Last edited by MigX: 07-23-2012 at 09:32 PM.
MigX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 09:29 PM   #6
Obfuscated

Eh. You can do this already.

Each shot can have a different map.

Right click on a shot > Show in Element Viewer > set mapname.

Now SFM will spit out "Wrong map loaded" when you scrub to a shot that needs another map than what's loaded.

Once you render out, the renderer will switch map to the ones each shot require.

/thread

Last edited by Obfuscated: 07-23-2012 at 09:44 PM.
Obfuscated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 09:39 PM   #7
CrashWhiz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidec_Ibidis View Post
I actually use Windows movie maker, even though it's bare minimum it works perfectly.
When using it, do you lose any of the video quality? I have a grudge against WMM from past experience because of quality loss.
CrashWhiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 10:10 PM   #8
Evenios

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obfuscated View Post
Eh. You can do this already.

Each shot can have a different map.

Right click on a shot > Show in Element Viewer > set mapname.

Now SFM will spit out "Wrong map loaded" when you scrub to a shot that needs another map than what's loaded.

Once you render out, the renderer will switch map to the ones each shot require.

/thread
wow thanks that is very useful! though for the effort as youll have issues when going back and forth between scenes it might as others said just be better to put the other scene in another file. and then use an editor :-) but at least thats nice the options there.
Evenios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 10:32 PM   #9
Pistachio

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrashWhiz View Post
When using it, do you lose any of the video quality? I have a grudge against WMM from past experience because of quality loss.
It all depends on what file you bring in, and what file you send out. If you bring in a high quality, uncompressed file, your output will look all that much better. The idea is to compress and recompress the image as few times as possible before sending it to youtube and parts beyond.
Pistachio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 07:18 AM   #10
Dr Endo

Quite honestly, Source Filmaker is a cinematographers dream, however for post-processing, or scenes that span multiple maps, rendering out your scene for each map and using another application to composite that footage (I like afterfx) is more pragmatic than fiddle-faddling with scripts or dealing with the hit to performance your PC would have to endure

You'd need such a beast mode computer to swag on multiple maps at once in SFM, integrating outside tools is the best solution I've found. Plus, the approach opens alot of interesting avenues...like using 100FPS footage for fluid slow mo, extra particle effects, time remapping, color correction, etc...
Dr Endo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 07:44 AM   #11
Obfuscated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Endo View Post
Quite honestly, Source Filmaker is a cinematographers dream, however for post-processing, or scenes that span multiple maps, rendering out your scene for each map and using another application to composite that footage (I like afterfx) is more pragmatic than fiddle-faddling with scripts or dealing with the hit to performance your PC would have to endure

You'd need such a beast mode computer to swag on multiple maps at once in SFM, integrating outside tools is the best solution I've found. Plus, the approach opens alot of interesting avenues...like using 100FPS footage for fluid slow mo, extra particle effects, time remapping, color correction, etc...
It's not about loading multiple maps at once. It's supporting one map per shot. And it does.
Obfuscated is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Tool Discussions > Source Filmmaker