Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > VAC Discussion

Old 07-22-2012, 03:50 AM   #1
MalBoY

Skins

Will people get banned for using skins like this
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1KlkIXPmB1U

I think skins shuld get you banned all skins!
Old 07-22-2012, 05:10 AM   #2
CTRL ALT DEL !

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalBoY View Post
Will people get banned for using skins like this
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1KlkIXPmB1U

I think skins shuld get you banned all skins!
I hear the scream of one of the truly miss informed.

First 1000 thousands of people have made some of the most beautiful skins for an awful lot of games. Lets not go throwing the baby out with the bathwater hundreds of thousands of hours have gone into making skins that aren't used for cheating.

Now what all games that allows skins need is a new setting and have allows skins.

A sv_pure 3 setting that allows only skins signed by Valve to be used on those servers with sv-pure set to 3.

Just sign them for games if the game doesn't have servers and server settings. Signed skins/skins/no skins, should be selected in a lobby.

Then you would have a choice to play with all skins / signed skins (my preferred) / no skins.

I understand your anger, but you are having a knee jerk reaction, consider what you are doing first. What I suggested would probably make everyone happy, what do you think?

Not sure all games could do this and it's the makers fault if they can't, I know valve games can, but they don't seem to want to sign skins for use in servers where cheat skins can be blocked, but nice skins with great models and high res textures can be used.

Come on Valve sign some skins for use in safe servers where we want skins , but prefer to have no cheats instead. I miss some of the beautiful golden degal's , gold inlayed rifles and glossy gold trim ak47's.

Have some public votes and competitions for skins to sign

Even if sv_pure 3 = hats as well as ours skins for other valve games, as long as there is sv_pure 0,1,2 all will be good in the community.

sv_pure 3 would also allow others to see your skins, not just their own.
CTRL ALT DEL ! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 05:23 AM   #3
Nekomancer

sv_pure only exists in Source games, Modern Warfare 3 does not use the source engine and does not offer such a setting.

The video posted contains a link to a fake download, it only infects your PC, it does not contain custom skins (would be an awesome compression, download is less than 2MB). Do not try it.

Last edited by Nekomancer: 07-22-2012 at 05:26 AM.
Nekomancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 05:44 AM   #4
CTRL ALT DEL !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nekomancer View Post
sv_pure only exists in Source games, Modern Warfare 3 does not use the source engine and does not offer such a setting.

The video posted contains a link to a fake download, it only infects your PC, it does not contain custom skins (would be an awesome compression, download is less than 2MB). Do not try it.
I am aware sv_pure are only for source, other engines should also be made to support either skins on or off if they allow and don't ban for skin modifications.

If a game maker says a game modification isn't allowed and then doesn't ban for it is hiding themselves from the truth, they haven't done a good job of protecting the game from cheating.

Any game that relies on VAC only without administrators will have cheats that openly cheat and kill everyone every round without fear of getting kicked. In games with administrators they at least have to try and hide or get quickly banned from the server.
Old 07-22-2012, 05:58 AM   #5
Nekomancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTRL ALT DEL ! View Post
I am aware sv_pure are only for source, other engines should also be made to support either skins on or off if they allow and don't ban for skin modifications.
Agreed.

Quote:
If a game maker says a game modification isn't allowed and then doesn't ban for it is hiding themselves from the truth, they haven't done a good job of protecting the game from cheating.
Yeah, wonderful example how Activision failed in that regard. Problem exists since MW2 and they never adressed it properly.

Quote:
Any game that relies on VAC only without administrators will have cheats that openly cheat and kill everyone every round without fear of getting kicked. In games with administrators they at least have to try and hide or get quickly banned from the server.
Exactly, VAC is designed to support server administrators, not to replace them. That is something that Activision fails to understand.
Old 07-22-2012, 02:19 PM   #6
Saint

My friend has texture hacks,they act as a wallhack on dome and carbon since you can see enemies trough those blue fences.He got 7-8 moabs abusing that so it should be baned.Also with his texture hacks the enemies are bright green.This gives the user a HUGE advantage.
Saint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 06:54 AM   #7
CTRL ALT DEL !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saint View Post
My friend has texture hacks,they act as a wallhack on dome and carbon since you can see enemies trough those blue fences.He got 7-8 moabs abusing that so it should be baned.Also with his texture hacks the enemies are bright green.This gives the user a HUGE advantage.
We know that material cheats don't get you banned at the moment.

This does not mean there will be a warning before they are declared cheats and VAC bans for them. Lets hope they at least give a warning for those tempted to try safe cheats.

But the only why to be 100% safe for sure is not to cheat at all ever in any way or use a computer that was used to cheat.
Old 07-24-2012, 07:13 AM   #8
Tito Shivan

Quote:
Not sure all games could do this and it's the makers fault if they can't, I know valve games can, but they don't seem to want to sign skins for use in servers where cheat skins can be blocked, but nice skins with great models and high res textures can be used.
This is one of those cases where Steam games could benefit of integrating a feature like the Steam Workshop.
Maybe a feature for skins and mods that works like TF2 hats. You submit your skin, gets Valve's (or publisher's) seal and it becomes a workshop validated mod, downloadable and installable from the workshop.
And that way servers could set apart 'approved' mods from non approved ones, and allowing them or not in their servers.

Just a thought.
Tito Shivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 04:40 PM   #9
CTRL ALT DEL !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tito Shivan View Post
This is one of those cases where Steam games could benefit of integrating a feature like the Steam Workshop.
Maybe a feature for skins and mods that works like TF2 hats. You submit your skin, gets Valve's (or publisher's) seal and it becomes a workshop validated mod, downloadable and installable from the workshop.
And that way servers could set apart 'approved' mods from non approved ones, and allowing them or not in their servers.

Just a thought.
sounds good to me, now how to get this happening.
Old 07-24-2012, 04:57 PM   #10
Nekomancer

Tito, that is one good idea. I'd like to see that. Also, it would give the user more incentive to use the workshop.

Too bad Steam is telling me i've game you too much rep lately .

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > VAC Discussion