Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > D - G > Dear Esther

Old 07-17-2012, 08:07 AM   #16
Irongiant666

Quote:
Originally Posted by GusTheCrocodile View Post
Heh, this pretty much always needs repeating.
Indeed. If the child doesn't enjoy the game, that's fine, as it would be if it was anyone else. And just as with anyone else, there's no need (and little point) in anyone prejudging whether they'll like it or not. People can think for themselves.
Indeed. Just let the child try it for herself and stop try to prejudge whether she'll like it or not, that's the only way to find out.

Last edited by Irongiant666: 07-17-2012 at 08:11 AM.
Irongiant666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 03:40 AM   #17
Bhaal177

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedReversed View Post
I don't see why a 12 year old wouldn't understand this story..they're not stupid. Im 14 so just a little bit older, but the story isn't that hard to understand.
Really, the amount of sterotyping is just sad.
Yeah, but are you a girl? Big difference in intellect! =P

I'm just kidding, of course. But you really need to be in a certain mind frame or have non-standard views to enjoy this title. It is definitely a gamble to recommend this game and there are far better available with a better told story, more interaction, and finer implementations of graphics with the limited/available resources. You should recommend Amnesia: Dark Descent! Again, I'm kidding, don't do that to a little girl!
Bhaal177 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 03:55 AM   #18
danskmacabre

I personally think it's not appropriate for young kids.
Spoiler:
It's got syringes in it, blood covered surgical equipment,images of car accidents, depressing text talking about death, suicide, alcohol and so on.

I don't think there's black and white answer though, it depends on the maturity of the child in question, so I suppose it's a judgement call for the parents concerned.
danskmacabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 08:34 AM   #19
RedReversed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhaal177 View Post
Yeah, but are you a girl? Big difference in intellect! =P

I'm just kidding, of course. But you really need to be in a certain mind frame or have non-standard views to enjoy this title. It is definitely a gamble to recommend this game and there are far better available with a better told story, more interaction, and finer implementations of graphics with the limited/available resources. You should recommend Amnesia: Dark Descent! Again, I'm kidding, don't do that to a little girl!
Haha, I finished Amnesia too!
But then I'm not a girl.
RedReversed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 11:06 AM   #20
grazman

No, definately wouldnt recommend this 'game' for children, its got no excitement at all, no interactivity, no puzzles, NOWT! and the story (narrative) is confusing even for adults. Also 90 minutes and its finished and she'll be wanting another game. The only thing to enjoy is wandering around a beautifully rendered enviroment listening to the wind and seagulls.
grazman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 06:27 PM   #21
JezMM

I'm kind of leaning towards the "no" side myself. Especially if the kid in question is at all feint of heart.

Even as a 23 year old I'm terrible with scary games and the overall overwhelming atmosphere of the game (especially stuff like the ghostly figures which at first I was paranoid whether I was seeing things or not - brilliantly so of course! - and the rather scary ambience effects such as when you look down the shaft before the house in the second chapter or walk through some of the areas plastered with wall scrawlings) - really gave me the creeps and put me on edge.

I'd only really recommend it to the most mature, patient and intellectual of 12 year olds, personally.
JezMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 06:53 PM   #22
Daikate

Ask HER what she likes. Just since she's a girl doesn't mean she wants a drama story or a puzzle game. If you're not sure about a game, try it yourself. It seems really weird to me you trust strangers on a forum to tell you what they think is appropriate for your family. If she's interested in gaming, I'm sure she has some suggestions for you. If not, then start with something COOL for crying out loud! Get Torchlight or Rayman Origins or Prince or Persia!

Secondly, children are smarter than you think. People here seem to think needles, the thought of suicide or dead people are too scary for a 12-year old or that a story might be too hard for them? Give the kid some credit, really. She's probably reading books about evil wizards and watching every vampire series out there.
Daikate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 09:12 AM   #23
Arparso

I don't think it's such a big question of understanding the game but rather of enjoying the game. A 12 year old girl might be able to understand the story and motifs or she might not - just like any adult. However, will she enjoy it?

Depends on the girl, I'd say... and what kind of media such as movies, books or games she is used to. Genereally speaking and without knowing anything about the girl in question, I'd still wager there are better, more enjoyable games out there - games, that are much more likely to be enjoyable for a 12 year old of any gender or intellectual maturity.
Arparso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 11:34 PM   #24
Shakti

Quote:
Originally Posted by k3Ck View Post
Definitely not for 12 year olds (especially a girl)
Just out of curiosity, what makes you think a girl would be less suitable to play this (not-)game than a boy?
Shakti is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > D - G > Dear Esther