Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > VAC Discussion

Old 07-25-2012, 02:31 PM   #1
kooooven

Exclamation I'm having a problem someone screwed up, I guess hacked, my TF2 backpack and account

I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this, but It's just when I was playing on a server with my friend, his friends told him that his accounts password and username was posted on the chat; as was mine. My friend lost 18 items and was turned into scrap, and on my case I can't view my entire backpack anymore. It says I have 206 items, my original number, but it only shows 1/1 page so I can't even see what Items I have. And when I tried trading with my friend who lost 18 items I can't even trade so to speak because it only shows 3 pages of random items. Although when my original was about 13 or so. So I'd like to know what I can to do fix my backpack, can ValvE help me? What do I do because now if I want to trade, sell, buy anything I can't because my backpack is all f**ked up. I you want to know what servers I was on I could get all the recent servers from Sunday I believe. Thanks for reading and understanding my problem
Old 07-25-2012, 02:35 PM   #2
Nekomancer

We can't help you, we are users like you. You must contact support.

I strongly recommend to change all passwords immediately.
Nekomancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 02:49 PM   #3
kooooven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nekomancer View Post
We can't help you, we are users like you. You must contact support.

I strongly recommend to change all passwords immediately.
Ok, can you tell me how I could contact support? I really need help because I love TF2 who doesn't, but It's just this mess up really stumped me and I don't know what to do.
kooooven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 03:03 PM   #4
Nekomancer

1. Scroll up to the top.
2. Click on SUPPORT.
3. Follow the instructions.
4. ???
5. Profit!
Nekomancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 06:22 AM   #5
Salith

Also, enable Steam Guard (in settings, in steam), and make sure your email password is different from your Steam password.
Ideally, both these 2 passwords should be different and unique from any other password you use.
Salith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 06:53 AM   #6
Satoru

Please read over the Account Security Recommendations page

https://support.steampowered.com/kb_...1266-OAFV-8478

You weren't 'hacked' as that's extremely unlikely. What most likely avenue for what happened was

1) Phishing. You probably got some link from your friends for FREE GAMEZ if you just logged in to this website.
2) Password recycling. You reused the username/password combination on another site

In order to mitigate these problems

1) Enable SteamGuard
2) Enable two factor auth on your email. Gmail has SMS authentication so you should try that out.
3) Ensure your Steam and email passwords are different, complex, and NOT REUSED ANYWHERE ON THE INTERNET.

By following these few simple steps you'll go a long way to not being hijacked again.
Satoru is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 01:59 PM   #7
cylon

Quote:
Originally Posted by kooooven View Post
I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this, but It's just when I was playing on a server with my friend, his friends told him that his accounts password and username was posted on the chat; as was mine.
Can i assume that they told you it was posted on the forum and gave you a link to log in and view it? Then you couldn't see it or log in?
cylon is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > VAC Discussion