Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Dedicated Server Discussions > Source DS (Windows)

Old 04-20-2012, 02:16 PM   #1
geotavros

Alien Swarm dedicated server consumes CPU and hangs after shut down

I have setup Alien Swarm dedicated server both using Steam's UI client and HldsUpdateTool + srcds.
When I shut it down using a quit command or just closing UI window srcds.exe consumes 50% of CPU of my 2 Core processor. srcds.exe never exits I need to stop it manually from Task Manager.

Is it possible to fix? How to?
Old 04-24-2012, 10:29 PM   #2
ufc

I also had this problem using the UI for the Alien Swarm dedi. What seemed to fix it for me was using the console instead of the UI. To try it out just add -console to the dedicated launch options.
ufc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 01:43 AM   #3
geotavros

As I said, console server has the same behavior.
BTW, I'm on Windows XP SP3.
geotavros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 08:10 AM   #4
DIMEDROLL

I noticed that Alien Swarm dedicated server hangs on quit or _restart only if it has properly connected to Steam's master servers, VAC server and is visible in ingame server browser.

If incorrect ip address was set for the server or you have run it under the restricted OS user the server is not visible in server browser and quits normally.
DIMEDROLL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 12:12 PM   #5
DIMEDROLL

I have also noticed that my server is visible in Server Browser only if my Steam client app is running too.
Old 06-25-2012, 05:49 AM   #6
goodone

Quote:
Originally Posted by geotavros View Post
srcds.exe never exits I need to stop it manually from Task Manager.
for those ppl who want to do some troubleshooting and have their ds done with hldsupdatetool.

plz, try the following:
  • starting ur server in lan mode,
  • starting ur server in public mode, and then using "sv_lan 1" command,
  • starting ur server in public mode, and then using "sv_password password" command,
  • starting ur server in public mode, and then using "sv_lan 1" and "sv_password password" commands.

plz, report back how restart/quit behaves, i'm doing a research on this issue and hopefully i'm on some good track.
goodone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 04:57 AM   #7
DIMEDROLL

I've found a solution to this.
You need to download a clean server using HLDSUpdateTool and don't move it into any other directory. I assume that moving or copying dedicated server to another directory produces this issue. Don't know why does this happen.
Old 07-27-2012, 12:08 AM   #8
goodone

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIMEDROLL View Post
You need to download a clean server using HLDSUpdateTool and don't move it into any other directory. I assume that moving or copying dedicated server to another directory produces this issue. Don't know why does this happen.
what u r saying here is that it requires default install folder to be used to work properly?
goodone is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Dedicated Server Discussions > Source DS (Windows)