Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > D - G > Fallout series

Old 07-25-2012, 03:11 AM   #1
ConkertheCat

Fallout 3 is not optimized for Windows 7 [Question]

What does this mean? "Fallout 3 is not optimized for Windows 7"

Will it not run? will it run like crap? and what of these other things with so called fixs to get around whatever it is? I just dont fully understand what they mean by that can someone explain.

Also is it possible to run it with windows 7?

UPDATE

EDIT: I get some installing error which can be seen here
You must use Turn Windows features on of off in the Control Panel to install of configure Microsoft .NET Framework 3.0 x64.

Anyone know what this means and how to fix it?

Anyway the game starts up after that...everything is fine, i hit start new game and crashes....No clue why it crashed....any ideas?

Last edited by ConkertheCat: 07-28-2012 at 07:58 AM.
Old 07-25-2012, 03:20 AM   #2
crusader13cf

Don't get it. Im on win 7 64 bit, did all the fixes that exist on the friekin internet, and i still can't get the game to run. I press NEW game, and it crashes, Program has stopped responding. DO NOT GET THIS PEACE OF .
crusader13cf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 03:23 AM   #3
ConkertheCat

Quote:
Originally Posted by crusader13cf View Post
Don't get it. Im on win 7 64 bit, did all the fixes that exist on the friekin internet, and i still can't get the game to run. I press NEW game, and it crashes, Program has stopped responding. DO NOT GET THIS PEACE OF .
Some have claimed some of these fixs to work....Also if it wont work on windows 7 for whatever random reason what version of windows would it work on? Also wasnt there talk of compliantly mode or something to get it to work or that huge thread with people saying its fixed because of a patch?

I'm just confused here
ConkertheCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 04:20 AM   #4
Skoft

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConkertheCat View Post
Some have claimed some of these fixs to work....Also if it wont work on windows 7 for whatever random reason what version of windows would it work on? Also wasnt there talk of compliantly mode or something to get it to work or that huge thread with people saying its fixed because of a patch?

I'm just confused here
I've had a retail pc version, and it ran absolutely fine on my windows 7 PC. You could probably find a fix if it doesn't work initially. I recently bought the steam version so I could play the game again. The game is lots of fun, I guess the other guy didn't play it yet lol.
Skoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 04:38 AM   #5
darksaga666

well it will run with w7 as xp or will have problems as with xp.

its the gameemgine that can behave like a .....
mosty it runs fine for a lot of people.
but if you are the "lucky" one with problems
you sometimes need nerves of steel .
a false entry in the .ini`s > crash
a wrong codec > no sound or music

i`ve run it with w7 x64
all texture high res (aces,nmc,poco ect) and a lot of mods
but it was a long way to run it allmost stable.

And a crash from time to time can be "normal" even in vanilla.
also you can get a corrupted save.
> autosave off and manual save often
darksaga666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 09:39 AM   #6
oldbrokenlink

i'm running vanilla steam fallout 3 max out settings on windows 7 64-bit w/o any problems at all!
oldbrokenlink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 09:55 AM   #7
ConkertheCat

Ok guys im getting mixed messages im honestly afraid to try it ......also at this point im not even sure whats casing the main problem for steam to put that message up or the horror stories from other posts that claim it doesnt work nor do the fixs....
Old 07-25-2012, 12:40 PM   #8
Skoft

Quote:
Ok guys im getting mixed messages im honestly afraid to try it ......also at this point im not even sure whats casing the main problem for steam to put that message up or the horror stories from other posts that claim it doesnt work nor do the fixs....
When they say it is not optimized, they are just telling you that windows 7 is not fully supported because it did not exist when fallout 3 was released. Fallout 3 was $4.99 during the sale, so maybe if you try trading for it, you could get a better price than $19.99 by the way.
Skoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 04:39 PM   #9
ElijahChondo43

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldbrokenlink View Post
i'm running vanilla steam fallout 3 max out settings on windows 7 64-bit w/o any problems at all!
Yup, me too. Didn't have to do any "fixing".

Quote:
The main problem is crashing for the game. It's best to played in Vista but people have found out that the game isn't optimized to be ran on a QUAD core CPU. I have a quad core CPU(i5-2500k) and it runs just fine for me. If you do purchase/trade for it then that would be a fix that you should look for. Most fixes are going to be having you go into some settings menus and limit the application to run on only 2 cores(which I have found recently you can do with the Task Manager).

It could go both ways, it could work 100% fine on your machine and for others but for other people like crusader13cf who doesn't know where or how to diagnose the problem will have crashing etc.

It's your choice, it was $5 for the GOTY edition just before the sale ended, should have snagged a copy.
ElijahChondo43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 06:55 AM   #10
ConkertheCat

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElijahChondo43 View Post
The main problem is crashing for the game. It's best to played in Vista but people have found out that the game isn't optimized to be ran on a QUAD core CPU. I have a quad core CPU(i5-2500k) and it runs just fine for me. If you do purchase/trade for it then that would be a fix that you should look for. Most fixes are going to be having you go into some settings menus and limit the application to run on only 2 cores(which I have found recently you can do with the Task Manager).

It could go both ways, it could work 100% fine on your machine and for others but for other people like crusader13cf who doesn't know where or how to diagnose the problem will have crashing etc.
Well....heres what i got

Processor: Celeron(R) Dual-Core CPU T3100 @ 1.90GHz 1.89 GHz
System type: 64-bit

Chip type: Mobile Intel(R) 4 series express chipset family

and yes i know its a terrible chipset thing -.- playing on a laptop

Anyway with that info out of the way do you think i will have problems with it?

Last edited by ConkertheCat: 07-26-2012 at 10:12 AM.
Old 07-26-2012, 09:14 AM   #11
ConkertheCat

Okay, well the game wont let me even start it.....Why? Because I get a requesting key error

I dont even care about online play yet it wont even let me play the game without trying for a online key....

whats going on and how do i fix this?
Old 07-28-2012, 07:47 AM   #12
SavingPrincess

Quote:
Well....heres what i got

Processor: Celeron(R) Dual-Core CPU T3100 @ 1.90GHz 1.89 GHz
System type: 64-bit

Chip type: Mobile Intel(R) 4 series express chipset family

and yes i know its a terrible chipset thing -.- playing on a laptop

Anyway with that info out of the way do you think i will have problems with it?
I think with that, even if you get your connection issues resolved, you don't even come close to the base requirements for this game. Sorry mate.
SavingPrincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 07:57 AM   #13
ConkertheCat

Quote:
Originally Posted by SavingPrincess View Post
I think with that, even if you get your connection issues resolved, you don't even come close to the base requirements for this game. Sorry mate.
Worth a try...on lowest maybe

Anyway update: I get some installing error which can be seen here
You must use Turn Windows features on of off in the Control Panel to install of configure Microsoft .NET Framework 3.0 x64.

Anyone know what this means and how to fix it?

Anyway the game starts up after that...everything is fine, i hit start new game and crashes....No clue why it crashed....any ideas?
Old 07-28-2012, 08:06 AM   #14
FreakieDK

I haven't read most of the replies (sorry), but I did circumvent the problem. Go into Control Panel -> Programs -> Turn Windows features on or off -> Turn on anything named "Microsoft .NET Framework 3.#.#"

At least, I think that's what I did to fix my problem.
FreakieDK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 08:07 AM   #15
ConkertheCat

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreakieDK View Post
I haven't read most of the replies (sorry), but I did circumvent the problem. Go into Control Panel -> Programs -> Turn Windows features on or off -> Turn on anything named "Microsoft .NET Framework 3.#.#"

At least, I think that's what I did to fix my problem.
Will that fix the crashes at starting new game thing?

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > D - G > Fallout series