Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Hardware and Operating Systems

Old 07-26-2012, 11:46 PM   #1
Karne123

videos causing PC to black-out/no signal?

I was trying to take screen shots of videos for a project I am working on. while going thru the videos, I would play them and get to around the spot I wanted. I would then use the next/previous frame buttons to get the perfect shot for a picture. well, while doing this, the PC froze for about 10 seconds and then it just went black. monitor gave me the "no signal", but the PC was still running. I rebooted the PC (which sounded like it had problems doing, it would kinda sound like it wanted to start, but then it couldn't, went off, then rebooted and worked). PC is working fine now, however I didn't try to go back to my previous activities.

what would cause this? I would like to know so I don't end up breaking something in the PC.
Old 07-26-2012, 11:59 PM   #2
MalcomGTX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karne123 View Post
I was trying to take screen shots of videos for a project I am working on. while going thru the videos, I would play them and get to around the spot I wanted. I would then use the next/previous frame buttons to get the perfect shot for a picture. well, while doing this, the PC froze for about 10 seconds and then it just went black. monitor gave me the "no signal", but the PC was still running. I rebooted the PC (which sounded like it had problems doing, it would kinda sound like it wanted to start, but then it couldn't, went off, then rebooted and worked). PC is working fine now, however I didn't try to go back to my previous activities.

what would cause this? I would like to know so I don't end up breaking something in the PC.
What are you using to play back the videos?

Sometimes hardware accelerated video can cause buggy drivers to crap out.
MalcomGTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 12:11 AM   #3
Karne123

I am using Media Player Classic - Home Cinema (latest stable 1.6.2 version).

the videos themselves are .WMV

my video card drivers are about 1 and 1/2 years out of date... but this is the only time I've had this issue (never updated them because all my games work 100% fine so far, and didn't wanna touch them cause I hear newer drivers have issues (I am on a HD 5850 card and WinXP (still... yeah)).

the videos are cutscenes from a game (taken directly from the game's folder). when I am playing the game, they don't black out my PC. its only when they are being fiddled with in the video player.
Karne123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 02:31 AM   #4
Karne123

thing I noticed is that the event viewer has lots of entries from "ati2mtag" for some UVD information, or something.

dates on the events point to them going off while I have the videos running.

to be precice, the black-out only happens if I use the "step" buttons on the player to move the video frame by frame. just playing/pausing the videos doesn't cause the black-out.
Old 07-28-2012, 03:00 PM   #5
MalcomGTX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karne123 View Post
thing I noticed is that the event viewer has lots of entries from "ati2mtag" for some UVD information, or something.

dates on the events point to them going off while I have the videos running.

to be precice, the black-out only happens if I use the "step" buttons on the player to move the video frame by frame. just playing/pausing the videos doesn't cause the black-out.
UVD is AMD's Universal Video Decoder function correct?

I sounds like a hardware acceleration issue.
Personally, I would update the drivers, or disable acceleration in MPC.

Maybe try out VLC and see if it has the same bug?
MalcomGTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 03:26 AM   #6
Karne123

I updated to 12.4 drivers (was on 10.12) and I do not get the ati2mtag messages in event viewer anymore. MPC also does not cause my PC to black-out anymore, either.

there was no hardware acceleration option in MPC, either. but guess that doesn't matter much now.

I guess it was the old drivers being buggy. Thanks for your assistance. I wouldn't of guessed it was the drivers and would have just thought my GPU was going bad or something.

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Hardware and Operating Systems