Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Steam for Mac > Steam

Old 07-28-2012, 07:30 PM   #1
PuckPoint0

Can't launch offline mode with no Internet access

I receive an error message saying

"Could not connect to Steam network.
This could be a problem with your Internet connection, or with the Steam network."

Is there some walkaround I could perform to resolve this without connecting to the Internet?

MacBook Pro, newest model
Old 07-29-2012, 03:35 AM   #2
Amander

Do you have an active NIC with a gateway?
Amander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 06:37 AM   #3
PuckPoint0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amander View Post
Do you have an active NIC with a gateway?
I apologize, but you might have to use monkey terms for me. I had to Google what you said, and I'm still not quite sure what it is. If you meant 'do you have some means of accessing the Internet on your computer and a medium through which the Internet can get to said means', then no. Wifi and Ethernet capable CPU, no Internet access. Sorry.
PuckPoint0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 06:55 AM   #4
nofing

Quote:
Originally Posted by PuckPoint0 View Post
I apologize, but you might have to use monkey terms for me. I had to Google what you said, and I'm still not quite sure what it is. If you meant 'do you have some means of accessing the Internet on your computer and a medium through which the Internet can get to said means', then no. Wifi and Ethernet capable CPU, no Internet access. Sorry.
But you have been online on that Mac before, right?
Because you need to start up Steam at least once in online mode, before you can use it offline.

If you've used Steam in online mode before, but just can't do so now, so you could switch to offline mode, there is an easy work around (for me at least, it works every time).
Just make sure you have no active network connection (turn off Wi-Fi in your Menu Bar and unplug your ethernet cable), before you start up Steam.
Now you should get a pop-up, which asks you, if you want to start into offline mode.
After that, it should automatically start into offline mode, when you start Steam, until you manually change into online mode again.

Hope that works for you, too.
nofing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 07:33 AM   #5
PuckPoint0

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofing View Post
But you have been online on that Mac before, right?
Because you need to start up Steam at least once in online mode, before you can use it offline.

If you've used Steam in online mode before, but just can't do so now, so you could switch to offline mode, there is an easy work around (for me at least, it works every time).
Just make sure you have no active network connection (turn off Wi-Fi in your Menu Bar and unplug your ethernet cable), before you start up Steam.
Now you should get a pop-up, which asks you, if you want to start into offline mode.
After that, it should automatically start into offline mode, when you start Steam, until you manually change into online mode again.

Hope that works for you, too.
Thanks for the advice, but I still get the error message when trying to start in offline.
Old 07-29-2012, 08:12 AM   #6
Amander

Quote:
A network interface card. Do you have anything connected? Any cable, any router?
Amander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 08:16 AM   #7
PuckPoint0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amander View Post
A network interface card. Do you have anything connected? Any cable, any router?
Negative. Neither is connected to my laptop. I've even switched off the wifi.
Old 07-29-2012, 11:51 AM   #8
nofing

Quote:
Thanks for the advice, but I still get the error message when trying to start in offline.
But you have definitely used Steam on that Mac before, right?
You can't use offline mode, if you haven't used it in online mode at least once and I think you have to store your login information, as well.

If you've done both of that and my suggestion didn't help, then I guess it would be best to contact support.
nofing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 12:16 PM   #9
PuckPoint0

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofing View Post
But you have definitely used Steam on that Mac before, right?
You can't use offline mode, if you haven't used it in online mode at least once and I think you have to store your login information, as well.

If you've done both of that and my suggestion didn't help, then I guess it would be best to contact support.
Yes, I have used Steam online many times and purchased games, which is why I want to use it now. Thanks anyway
Old 07-30-2012, 01:39 PM   #10
PuckPoint0

...Self bump?

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Steam for Mac > Steam