Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > General Steam Discussion

Old 07-28-2012, 09:49 PM   #346
Whinis

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeratulX View Post
Windows has become somewhat bloated overtime but it doesn't seem to be affecting performance of programs unless you are trying to use newer Windows on an ancient computer. If you update your computer regularly then it's a non issue. While your numbers earlier can vary wildly from PC to PC it does at least show that people should know by now that each new version of Windows will require more RAM. Same thing happens to Linux but possibly to a lesser degree (not as familiar with Linux).

As for RAM wearing out.. it doesn't "wear out" any faster than any other part unless you buy crappy RAM. I wouldn't worry too much about that if I were you.
Ram wears out according to number of writes so yes it can wear out either faster or slower depending on uses.

As far as bloat I can run the same version of linux on my computer and on my ancient e-machine with 256 mb ram and get the same performance out of it for "normal" applications. so the bloating is not nearly as bad and leads you to question why is it so bloated?
Whinis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 10:03 PM   #347
xGhost4000x

Quote:
Originally Posted by s1234567890m View Post
As far as i can tell his problem is that some day somewhen apps(programs) could be required to be sold/installed through the app store

Has there been ANY actual hint at that? Or is this just wild speculation. I could say someday Steam will charge you a monthly fee, that doesn't make it true.

PS. I'm actually interested if there is any evidence to this.
xGhost4000x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 10:06 PM   #348
ZeratulX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whinis View Post
Ram wears out according to number of writes so yes it can wear out either faster or slower depending on uses.

As far as bloat I can run the same version of linux on my computer and on my ancient e-machine with 256 mb ram and get the same performance out of it for "normal" applications. so the bloating is not nearly as bad and leads you to question why is it so bloated?
The point is your RAM will be fine for years.. so you don't need to be worrying about that. Seriously I've seen this argument a few times since Vista was called Longhorn. If RAM wearing out was a serious problem you'd see people all over the internet complaining about it the same way they do about everything else that annoys them.

Anyway this topic kinda got derailed but the point is if you want decent performance on an older computer install older Windows or preferably Linux since it's more secure if you only surf the net. If you want the latest and greatest then install a newer version of Windows and upgrade your computer so it has no problems running it. I'm just tired of seeing so many people complain about Windows for reasons that are just absurd at this point. There are other reasons to hate Microsoft but the ones I generally see online are misinformed more often than not.
ZeratulX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 10:09 PM   #349
MikeGamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by s1234567890m View Post
Yeah im gonna need a source for this, you seem to be confusing Metro with desktop apps
http://www.hookedgamers.com/features...tastrophe.html

And i quote:

Quote:
Windows 8 makes it ‘illegal’ to purchase and download software through any other storefront than Marketplace – unless – it has been licensed by Microsoft. In other words, Steam’s very existence on your PC will be deemed illegal by Microsoft. The same looks to be true for pretty much every other piece of software – gaming or otherwise – on your Windows 8 PC as well.
And it's not the first time Microsoft pulls garbage business practices like this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by schoerg View Post
Please. You haven't even tried Windows 8 so get the hell out of here.
Can you proove i haven't? Can you proove i have? Can you proove my statements wrong? If not? Then your comment is irrelevant to this discussion
MikeGamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 10:14 PM   #350
Whinis

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeratulX View Post
The point is your RAM will be fine for years.. so you don't need to be worrying about that. Seriously I've seen this argument a few times since Vista was called Longhorn. If RAM wearing out was a serious problem you'd see people all over the internet complaining about it the same way they do about everything else that annoys them.

Anyway this topic kinda got derailed but the point is if you want decent performance on an older computer install older Windows or preferably Linux since it's more secure if you only surf the net. If you want the latest and greatest then install a newer version of Windows and upgrade your computer so it has no problems running it. I'm just tired of seeing so many people complain about Windows for reasons that are just absurd at this point. There are other reasons to hate Microsoft but the ones I generally see online are misinformed more often than not.
To be fair I have never seen Windows have the latest or the greatest of anything. And the reasons I see for hating microsoft including my own normally seems valid. Those being:
Bloat
Resource Hog
Virus's
Insecure
Monopolizing ( valves version isn't bad , briding threatening not so much,)
High Cost ( used to be $200+ for a new license before windows 8)
Constant costly updates( new version was every 3-4 years before xp)
Restricting features perfectly applicable to older versions to newer versions.( as must as DirectX1 10+ is restricted to vista+ its only due to a small kernel change).
Whinis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 10:40 PM   #351
Shin

The focus is not on technical issues. The focus is on licensing and freedom. Having the possibility of a potential alternative in linux puts some restraints on Microsoft locking down windows.
Shin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 10:48 PM   #352
Ace42

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeGamer View Post
Can you proove i haven't? Can you proove i have? Can you proove my statements wrong? If not? Then your comment is irrelevant to this discussion
Argument from ignorance. Have you, in fact, tried Windows 8?

Last edited by Ace42: 07-28-2012 at 10:50 PM.
Ace42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 11:14 PM   #353
Shin

It's not relevant. The objectionable parts will be in the EULA.
Shin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 11:39 PM   #354
Sir_Brizz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace42 View Post
Argument from ignorance. Have you, in fact, tried Windows 8?
WTF? Are you seriously suggesting that you can't tell someone that they are making baseless assumptions? I believe this is what you'd like to call begging the question.
Sir_Brizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 12:10 AM   #355
graspee

Quote:

And i quote:

And it's not the first time Microsoft pulls garbage business practices like this.

If you read the comments, someone mentions that it is just metro apps they are talking about, not all software. That honestly makes more sense than what you and the article are suggesting.
graspee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 01:14 AM   #356
s1234567890m

Quote:

And i quote:

Yeah, tha site is talking about metro apps that need to be approved to be in the w8 store... it says nothing about normal downloading
s1234567890m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 02:35 AM   #357
Anticitizen

You guys are scaring me with all this 15Gb of RAM talk. I'm using XP with a grand total of 2Gb of RAM and I have never - NEVER - exceeded that ceiling, running all kinds of high-demand games, graphics, modeling, sound editing, video editing, and all kinds of nonsense programs for the last few years.

What the hell did Microsoft even DO?..
Anticitizen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 02:38 AM   #358
Amander

There's nothing to pull. Windows 8 will run Steam and games just like Windows 7, although better performance is to be expected.
Amander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 02:47 AM   #359
s1234567890m

Quote:
Originally Posted by xGhost4000x View Post
Has there been ANY actual hint at that? Or is this just wild speculation. I could say someday Steam will charge you a monthly fee, that doesn't make it true.

PS. I'm actually interested if there is any evidence to this.

i think it is based on the microsoft store being curated which leads to the speculation that they plan to turn the pc into a console or something
s1234567890m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 03:29 AM   #360
schoerg

Banned
Quote:

And i quote:

This is about Metro Apps. Not about regular executables you can install via the desktop.

Yes I can proove it. I quote your older post:

Quote:
Correction... Every game LICENSED BY MICROSOFT will work, this makes DRM look like freedom, plus... they're pushing to have windows 8 run 360 games so... It's definetely not going to be a PC gaming OS
Which is absolutely false, as you can run every game you want.
schoerg is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > General Steam Discussion