Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > H - L > Krater

Closed Thread

Old 08-03-2012, 06:13 AM   #1
wiredhands

Hur roligt!
[Read This First] Problems and Solutions

--- IMPORTANT Information ---

if you have a problem launching the game and you are running Windows XP, then you are out of luck. The game does not support windows XP and it will not run on it

Foreword :

This thread is basically a "if you encounter this problem try this solution before asking what to do" thread. It will be a compilation of the issues we have seen and solved on the steam forum and on the official Krater forum.
It will grow and change over time, just like the game itself will. It will probably also mean that some of the other stickied threads will be unstickied since the information in them will be here, or I will link to them from here.

I will try to make it so it's easy to understand the problem occurring and what you can do to fix it.

General information :

Should there be a problem/issue/bug you can't find a solution to in this thread or on the steam forum, try to check the official Krater forums http://forums.fatshark.se/forumdisplay.php?fid=46 look in the support part there.

If still nothing, please make a thread on this forum or sign up on the official forum and post it there.

In such a new thread please supply :

A dxdiag on www.pastebin.com
The console logs from krater with the date/time stamp where you know the problem occurs, also on pastebin*.
A relatively detailed description of what happens when the problem occurs.

To make a DXdiag :

(1) Go to the Start button
(2) in the searchfield Type dxdiag and click it so it runs
(3) While viewing the System tab wait for it to finish and click the "Save All Information..." button.
Save your DXDIAG report as dxdiag.txt on your desktop for easy access (you may delete the file once you have copy pasted the information to pastebin)

Krater logs :

you can find the krater log files in Users\yourusername\AppData\Roaming\Fatshark\Krater \console_logs , you may need to change folder options in windows to show hidden files, folder and drives to be able to see the above directory.
The log files will have a date/time on them from when they were created, should make it easy to find the ones you need to post on pastebin.
*Should you want to give us more than 2-3 logs, please get them into a rar/zip file and upload it to a download site where we can get it from, as it is easier for you (and us too)than to post xx logs on pastebin

Important Threads :

Do you have a Nvidia 8000 series GPU and a few problems/can't run the game ? Click here to report into the nvidia 8000 thread

Do you have AMD/ATI 2xxx, 3xxx or 4xxx and can't run the game ? Click here to report into the AMD/ATI 2xxx, 3xxx, 4xxx thread

Do you have performance problems ? Click here for the possible tweaks that can be done in the settings file. The tweaks in the linked thread sometimes makes the game able to run when it otherwise would just show blackscreen

-----------

Thread history [dd-mm-yyyy] :
03-08-2012 - Wiredhands - Started thread and added a few problems/solutions
05-08-2012 - Wiredhands - Added something to Laptop and Put does not support XP at the top
23-08-2012 - Wiredhands - Colorscheme changes and minor text corrections
24-08-2012 - Wiredhands - Changed colorshceme for the entire post, added more Problem/solutions
27-08-2012 - Wiredhands - added possible solution to Autominimizing at startup bug

General Colorcodes for the P/S posts :
Red = problem description start
blue = solution description start
green = moderators comment

Last edited by wiredhands: 08-27-2012 at 02:38 PM.
Old 08-03-2012, 06:22 AM   #2
wiredhands

Hur roligt!
Under Heavy construction --- will have more soon --- The Toc is experimental, so not sure it works 100% as intended

Table of Contents
  1. Try these things first
  2. Mouse issues and solutions
  3. Game fails to launch
  4. General game/ingame issues
  5. Sound problems
  6. Graphic problems
  7. Laptop specific issues
  8. Problems that currently have no known solution

Last edited by wiredhands: 08-27-2012 at 02:25 PM.
Old 08-03-2012, 06:34 AM   #3
wiredhands

Hur roligt!
Try these things first

There are a few general things you can do before checking out all the other solutions. We pretty much end up asking most to do these things anyway, so you might as well do it before even asking a question.

Try these things first :

1. Verify Game Cache Files
  2. Check windows update, and make sure your windows version is fully up to date.
  3. Check for driver updates
  4. Check if it's something relating to Steam itself, Steam help and tips

Last edited by wiredhands: 08-24-2012 at 05:57 AM.
Old 08-03-2012, 07:41 AM   #4
wiredhands

Hur roligt!
Mouse issues and solutions

Problem : Mouse is not precise, it's slightly off to one of the sides when I want to click a button

Solution 1 : Go into settings and set aspect ratio to auto and press apply

Last edited by wiredhands: 08-24-2012 at 05:59 AM.
Old 08-03-2012, 08:34 AM   #5
wiredhands

Hur roligt!
Game fails to launch

Problem : Game is stuck at trying to install VC++ XXXX redistributable

Solution 1 : Try running steam as administrator
Solution 2 : Uinstall the VC++ redistributable making problems, run steam as administrator, run Krater.
Solution 3 : Uinstall the VC++ redistributable making problems, Manually download the most recent version from microsoft (you can search for it in microsofts download center http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/search.aspx?q=), install it, run steam as administrator, run Krater

Problem : "Game not available in Steam folder", says "steam_not_found_error"

Solution 1 : Close steam, reboot pc, run steam as admin and try running the game again. sometimes steam needs a reboot after installing a new game

Problem : "This title is not available in your Steam directory"

Solution 1 : Run steam and run Krater from there, you get this error if you run Krater from the steamapps folder and not directly through steam.
Solution 2 : Exit steam, delete the ClientRegistry.blob file in your steam install folder, reboot, run steam and run Krater again.

Last edited by wiredhands: 08-24-2012 at 06:06 AM.
Old 08-03-2012, 10:53 AM   #6
wiredhands

Hur roligt!
General game/ingame issues

Problem : pop-up message "Failed_Save" comes up

Solution 1 : set Krater.exe to run as administrator and right click and run steam as administrator (it's probably enough to only run steam as admin once)

Problem : when I move the mouse cursor to the top of the screen game auto alt tabs and becomes the anomolous giant texture and cursor. If I wait a few seconds, I can tab back into the game.

Solution 1 : If you have Bing desktop, turn it off. It will force itself to the foreground of the desktop wherever you choose to place it and cause this problem. Similar problems will occur if you run other programs that grabs the foreground in the same way. So for trouble free play, turn them off when playing Krater.

Problem : When the game is launched it autominimizes and stays minimized no matter what I do

Solution 1 : Try changing "AUTO_DETECT_VIDEO = true" to "AUTO_DETECT_VIDEO = false" in the settings.ini file located in \Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\krater\data
This should enable the game to launch without minimizing itself, however it's not a perfect fix so sometimes it will start in windowed mode instead of fullscreen, but then you can enable fullscreen in settings ingame. This change in the settings.ini file can also affect what happens when you alt+tab out of the game. Solution taken from this thread : http://forums.steampowered.com/forum....php?t=2905741

Last edited by wiredhands: 08-27-2012 at 02:31 PM.
Old 08-03-2012, 11:32 AM   #7
wiredhands

Hur roligt!
Sound problems

--Under construction--

Old 08-03-2012, 11:33 AM   #8
wiredhands

Hur roligt!
Graphic problems

--Under construction--

Problem :how to do a clean install of drivers

Solution 1 : Not exactly a problem relating to Krater, but a clean install of graphic card drivers can in some instances remove graphical problems completely, simply because old versions of the driver can possible still be around and make problems for the newer version. It can also be needed to do a clean install if you want to rollback drivers (going back to a previous driver version in case a new version isn't working as intended).

Doing a clean install of a driver in the way that is described here should only be attempted if you have some knowledge of what you are doing, since you can by accident remove software that is vital for windows to function if you pick the wrong things !!

Step 1. download and install a driver sweeper, I use Driver Sweeper from phyxion.net or their newer program called Driver Fusion from treexy.com. if you already have one of them or another driver sweeper installed skip this step.
Step 2. uninstall the driver via programs and features, or via the new drivers uninstall function if it has one present.
Step 3. Boot into safemode, run the driver sweeper program and ask it to uninstall the graphic card driver.
Step 4. reboot into windows, install the newer version of the graphic card driver and reboot.
Step 5. New driver is now installed cleanly, and you may need to resetup certain things like windows desktop resolution and such things since they may have been removed by the driver sweeper

Problem : Game loads up, screen shows up fine, the second anything is clicked on at all the game freezes and the program have to be shutdown through task manager.(user with problem on a Nvidia GTX 570)

Solution 1 : Rollback driver to version 295.73, current 301.42 driver seems to be buggy with Krater on some Nvidia cards. Solution confirmed working by user who had the problem

Last edited by wiredhands: 08-24-2012 at 07:04 AM.
Old 08-03-2012, 12:50 PM   #9
wiredhands

Hur roligt!
Laptop specific issues

--Under construction--

Problem : Sound distortion and stuttering on Laptop.

Solution 1 : Your laptop is quite possibly running hot, when this happens laptops clock themselves down to avoid damage to the cpu/gpu. This in turn causes the distortion and stutters since the CPU/GPU is suddenly not running at as high a speed as before, and therefore isn't capable of doing as many calculations. Find a program that can measure your pc's temperature and see if running the game makes it run 'real' hot. If it is running to hot, the only cure is to clean your laptops cooling system and see if that helps. If you are not capable of cleaning it yourself, have someone who can, do it for you.

Solution 2 : It can also happen due to having old drivers or a driver that causes high latency. Often it will help updating drivers to a newer version, if it doesn't then measuring latency is a good idea. it can be done with http://www.thesycon.de/deu/latency_check.shtml or http://resplendence.com/latencymon. If you have to high latency, then it's a quest to find which device or service that is the cause of it and either disable or stop it if it isn't a system critical one[/COLOR]

Last edited by wiredhands: 08-24-2012 at 06:25 AM.
Old 08-24-2012, 06:13 AM   #10
wiredhands

Hur roligt!
Problems that currently have no known solution

Under construction

The problems listed here have no known solution. If you should have one of them and have found a solution, please let us know in the feedback thread or by PM'ing one of us mods with the solution you found and the Code of the problem listed here

Problems that currently are unsolved :

Code : PR#0001 : example Problem01

Code : PR#0002 : example Problem02

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > H - L > Krater