Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Tool Discussions > Source Filmmaker

Old 08-04-2012, 07:55 AM   #1
crash2209

Question Graphics Detection Problem

Every time I start SFM, I get this error:

along with a diagonal white line across the viewport after loading a map.

After searching the forums and the web, I saw it had to do with the graphics card requirement not being met. However, I believe my laptop has the necessary requirements.

Here are my specs:

The Radeon GPU has 2GB of memory. The laptop is newly bought, and all drivers are updated.

I have even configured the switchable graphics using the AMD Catalyst tool provided, with no effect.

Some help in fixing this problem would be appreciated.
Old 08-04-2012, 08:18 AM   #2
episoder

how you starting sfm? a steam shortcut? yeh. this a url link thru steam. this might fail with the detection. maybe you could try to run the sfm.exe directly. and create a shortcut to that.
episoder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 08:36 AM   #3
crash2209

Quote:
Originally Posted by episoder View Post
how you starting sfm? a steam shortcut? yeh. this a url link thru steam. this might fail with the detection. maybe you could try to run the sfm.exe directly. and create a shortcut to that.
After launching SFM through Steam, the sfm.exe application appeared as a recently used program in the Catalyst tool. I just set that to high-performance.

I added the sfm.exe program directly and launched the application from the steamapps/common/SourceFilmmaker/game folder itself; however, the problem persists regardless.
crash2209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 04:32 PM   #4
Juaccoo

im having the exact same issue, it is also an HP dv6 i7 2630QM and an HD 6770M

i compared how it worked enabling power saving and then enabling high performance and it works exaclty the same so no matter what you choose SFM is just not going to use or even detect the dedicated GPU, steam still detects the card during surveys tho so i dont know what to do, hopefully it gets fixed or someone finds a fix
Juaccoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 03:23 PM   #5
MaxOfS2D

Having the same problem over here, and what do you know — it's an HP dv6 netbook too!

It's a 7670M, which supports DX11 and Shader Model 5 according to the specs; yet no matter whether high perf or power saving is chosen, SFM says it's unsupported.

Here's where it gets weird; the high perf profile IS faster by 8fps in the viewport, and a whole lot faster in game mode.

So the card IS being used, but for some reason the Source Engine (TF2 included) doesn't understand it.
MaxOfS2D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 05:55 PM   #6
Juaccoo

so SFM just updated and i still cant find a solution, has anyone found one yet? a trick to make it work? this is the only computer ill have for like 3 years
Old 10-25-2012, 07:27 PM   #7
Sync.

https://developer.valvesoftware.com/...tion_and_setup
Sync. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 12:14 PM   #8
occono

Exact same problem here with the graphics detection and white line.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sync. View Post
That doesn't help. The game is set to high performance.

Other games also sometimes think they're running on the HD 4000, but going by the performance they are clearly running on the Radeon 7670m.

Last edited by occono: 12-18-2012 at 12:17 PM.
occono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 12:32 PM   #9
TheRealWarrior0

Quote:
Originally Posted by occono View Post
Exact same problem here with the graphics detection and white line.

That doesn't help. The game is set to high performance.

Other games also sometimes think they're running on the HD 4000, but going by the performance they are clearly running on the Radeon 7670m.
1. this post is old... don't bump thread this old
2. i'm on a ty laptop too (no volumetric lights, no ambient occlusion and goes really low on fps when dealing with lights)... it gives me the error that sfm cant support the graphic card i'm using when starting up but i give teh ok and it works "fine"
3. the while line... just import the existing elemet "camera1" in the animation set and take down the "bloomScale" slider
3. SFM is really GPU intensive so it wont run fast/well on a laptop...
4. try updating the graphic card drivers and set it to high performaces...

NOTE: i havent read the whole thread so if i said something that had already been said... sorry
TheRealWarrior0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 12:04 PM   #10
Juaccoo

i know this post is old but i finally got it to work with the high performance card and maybe theres still people out there trying to make it work.

The problem is that even if you select sfm.exe to use the high performance card it never uses it and runs on the intel hd card (tf2 apparently does the same, now it runs full graphics at around 100fps).

So, how to fix it? Changing the switchable graphics mode on the BIOS from dynamic to fixed, what does this do? you may ask, it makes your laptop to work only with one card and it doesnt change automatically when a high performance application is open, when you turn one ON the otherone turns OFF, as simple as that and the switchable graphics menu should look like this:

How is this done? (consider updating your BIOS and Graphics drivers before)
-Press f10 a couple of times when booting up your laptop to acces the BIOS.
-Once you are in the BIOS with the arrow keys go to "system configuration"
-With the arrow keys again go to "switchable graphics mode" and to its right it should say "<dynamic>", press enter and change it to "<fixed>"
-Press f10 again, and choose to exit saving settings

is it done?...YES!!! now go to the switchable graphics menu and it should look like the image above, select the high performance card and open SFM .

note: if you have issues with your screen brightness (outside sfm) just switch to your powr saving card, adjust the brightness and go back to the high performance card

note2: if you get some bluescreens try updating drivers or just try again later

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Tool Discussions > Source Filmmaker