Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > # - C > Borderlands

Old 07-30-2012, 08:11 PM   #1
lastdodobird

Borderlands 2 System Requirements?

Has there been any word on what the system requirements for Borderlands 2 will be?

I would imagine that considering the first game had relatively light requirements and Borderlands 2 seems to have the same aesthetic, today's computers should be able to run the sequel with ease, yeah?

Because I'm running borderlands with everything in-game and on the advanced settings tool checked/maxed out, and still able to get around 50fps.

Wondering whether there will be a significant fps drop with Borderlands 2.
Old 07-30-2012, 09:53 PM   #2
kjath

Minimum:

Processor: 2.4 GHz Dual Core Processor
Memory: 2 GB(XP)/ 2 GB(Vista)
Hard Disk Space: 20 GB free
Video Memory: 256 MB
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce 8500 /ATI Radeon HD 2600
Sound: DirectX 9.0c Compatible
Other Requirements:Initial installation requires one-time internet connection for Steam authentication; software installations required (included with the game) include Steam Client, DirectX 9, Microsoft .NET 4 Framework, Visual C++ Redistributable 2005, Visual C++ Redistributable 2008, Visual C++ Redistributable 2010, and AMD CPU Drivers (XP Only/AMD Only)

Recommended:

Processor: 2.3 GHz Quad Core processor
Memory: 2 GB
Video Memory: 512MB
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560 / ATI Radeon HD 5850
Other Requirements:Initial installation requires one-time internet connection for Steam authentication; software installations required (included with the game) include Steam Client, DirectX 9, Microsoft .NET 4 Framework, Visual C++ Redistributable 2005, Visual C++ Redistributable 2008, Visual C++ Redistributable 2010, and AMD CPU Drivers (XP Only/AMD Only)

Source: Steam Store.
kjath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 10:31 PM   #3
lastdodobird

^ thanks.

Any idea how I can compare a laptop Video Card to a dekstop video card?

Recommended video card is NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560, my laptop is running an NVIDIA GeForce GT 640M video card.
lastdodobird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 10:44 PM   #4
HomerJay

http://www.notebookcheck.net/NVIDIA-...M.71579.0.html
HomerJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 12:47 AM   #5
lastdodobird

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjath View Post
Minimum:

Processor: 2.4 GHz Dual Core Processor
Memory: 2 GB(XP)/ 2 GB(Vista)
Video Memory: 256 MB
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce 8500 /ATI Radeon HD 2600

Recommended:

Processor: 2.3 GHz Quad Core processor
Memory: 2 GB
Video Memory: 512MB
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560 / ATI Radeon HD 5850

Source: Steam Store.
I just realized that these parts in bold are some absurdly high system requirements for Borderlands 2. It's not like it's Crysis 3 or something.

So I went a-googlin' for the answer (something I could have done from the start, I admit, my bad -_-) and according to NeoSeeker:

Minimum:

CPU: 2 GHz dual core 64-bit Intel or AMD processor
RAM: 1GB of system memory
Graphics: DirectX 9 compatible 512 MB graphics card, Nvidia 200 series series or AMD Radeon 4000 series.
Operating system: Windows XP SP2
DirectX compatible sound card
12 GB of hard drive space

Recommended:

CPU: 2.8 GHz dual core 64-bit Intel or AMD processor
RAM: 2GB
Graphics: DirectX 10 compatible 1GB graphics card, Nvidia 400 / AMD 5000 series.
Operating system: Windows 7
DirectX compatible sound card
12 GB of hard drive space

This seems much more believable, tbh. Although I'm not completely sure what source to trust yet.
Old 07-31-2012, 01:00 AM   #6
seseorang

The system requirements on the Steam storepage ...
seseorang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 11:29 PM   #7
maledis87

if your between minimum and recommended you'll be fine, im playing on a 9800 gt with most games max and full HD no AA except for bf3 so it should play fine if you have something around there...I use 1400 x 900 resolution for better performance and it still looks pretty High defenition.
maledis87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 10:14 PM   #8
lastdodobird

I asked Gearbox directly and yeah, they confirmed that the recommended specs on the Steam Store is correct.

So... wow... why are the recommended requirements so steep?

It has the same recommended requirements as games such as Battlefield 3, and higher recommended requirements compared to that of Metro 2033, Witcher 2 and even both Crysis games ffs.

What is up with that?

Old 08-06-2012, 05:34 AM   #9
cyborg34573

Quote:
Originally Posted by lastdodobird View Post
I asked Gearbox directly and yeah, they confirmed that the recommended specs on the Steam Store is correct.

So... wow... why are the recommended requirements so steep?

It has the same recommended requirements as games such as Battlefield 3, and higher recommended requirements compared to that of Metro 2033, Witcher 2 and even both Crysis games ffs.

What is up with that?

It probably wont need that much. Devs kinda bs around with System Requirements most of the time to get people to buy hardware. Its just good business between devs and Hardware Manufacturer's. You'l know what i mean when you see all the Nvidia/AMD adverts in your games. I mean you even get Video card bundles with games, seriously.

But if the game does need that much power then wow, it better have a massive world with many things being rendered, and better graphics than the first game. Or else im calling it bad optimization.

20GB space though, that's alot of content. Me likey.
cyborg34573 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 08:55 PM   #10
kjath

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyborg34573 View Post
Devs kinda bs around with System Requirements most of the time to get people to buy hardware. Its just good business between devs and Hardware Manufacturer's. You'l know what i mean when you see all the Nvidia/AMD adverts in your games. I mean you even get Video card bundles with games, seriously.
this is pretty much the answer you're looking for in regards to the the steep graphic card "requirements". i wouldn't worry about getting a new card to run Borderlands 2, i'm sure whatever you have will do just fine.
kjath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 09:06 PM   #11
cyborg34573

You know what devs need to start doing to takecare of these questions?, releasing demo's for their games.
cyborg34573 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 09:21 PM   #12
goformickey

Quote:
It probably wont need that much. Devs kinda bs around with System Requirements most of the time to get people to buy hardware. Its just good business between devs and Hardware Manufacturer's. You'l know what i mean when you see all the Nvidia/AMD adverts in your games. I mean you even get Video card bundles with games, seriously.

But if the game does need that much power then wow, it better have a massive world with many things being rendered, and better graphics than the first game. Or else im calling it bad optimization.

20GB space though, that's alot of content. Me likey.

Yeah, I hope it's coded as well as the last game. Borderlands 1 runs so well on my laptop that it works on battery (that said it eats up the battery in 15mins).

Nothing is worse than a poorly optimized game, never even got to play the Witcher 2 because they did such a terrible job with the optimization that it was basically unplayable on anything but a desktop.

Quote:
You know what devs need to start doing to takecare of these questions?, releasing demo's for their games.
100% true. Hardly anyone does that any more, I was so pleasantly surprised when Orcs Must Die 2 had one, even if it was only 2 levels and it's not exactly a huge triple A title it was a good touch. All the big devs need to get back to the good old days imo and start doing this too.

Last edited by goformickey: 08-07-2012 at 09:26 PM.
goformickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 10:54 PM   #13
vonbleak

I hate to say it but a GTX560 is not a very high end card...they are pretty cheap these days...and also understand what 'recommended' means

If they recommended a lower card and it did not run well on high setting, could you imagine the crap on forums :P

it a much meatier game than the first..
vonbleak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 12:08 AM   #14
nrnoble

Quote:
This should be a law.

Gamers endlessly complain in the forums that games are not running on their system, or performance so bad they wish they didn't buy it. Some of these rants will just switch from "I can't run the game" to "I can't run the demo", but at least its before they buy the game.

For borderlands 2, theyshould create a demo with a level cap and 1-2 maps. Gives gamers enough time learn the basics and determine if the game runs well on their system.
nrnoble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 02:42 AM   #15
ElijahChondo43

Quote:
Originally Posted by vonbleak View Post
I hate to say it but a GTX560 is not a very high end card...they are pretty cheap these days...and also understand what 'recommended' means

If they recommended a lower card and it did not run well on high setting, could you imagine the crap on forums :P

it a much meatier game than the first..
I agree. A GTX 560 is around $150-$200 right now. Hell, on a sale you can snatch up a GTX 570 right now for around $220-$250.

I could probably snatch me a GTX 550ti for SLI
ElijahChondo43 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > # - C > Borderlands