Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Steam Community Discussion

Old 06-21-2012, 04:10 PM   #1
klackhead

Friends appearing offline

I'm getting this weird bug where some friends appear offline when they are actually online. Three friends are in a game together. 2 of them appear offline to me. I logout and back in, and now the 2 that were offline appear online, and the one that was online appears offline. I do it again. And now the other guy is back, but the first 2 are off again. One more time, and now 2 are on and one is off. WTF? There's also a few others that who's statuses are changing with each logon attempt.
Old 06-23-2012, 09:26 PM   #2
klackhead

Am I the only one getting this bug? It's happening again.
klackhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 09:57 PM   #3
Owashii

Quote:
Originally Posted by klackhead View Post
Am I the only one getting this bug? It's happening again.
It happens to me too, and a couple of my friends. I wonder what's causing it.
Owashii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 06:14 AM   #4
SilverWolf

Having the same issue, some people appear offline when they shouldn't be, I'm also unable to join steam group chats properly since every member in them appear as offline.

Considering I have a second account in case of trouble, and that its happening to it aswell, it may be a community-wide issue...
SilverWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 08:04 AM   #5
real4xor

3 people in my group chat appeared as offline too. :/ while they are actually online and chatting.
I guess it`s not just an issue with the friends list.

The people that appeared offline couldn`t be found by member search, even if they were on the total members list. (shown as offline with no "last online" time).

Also one of my group members was officer, but appeared in the chat as guest. And another officer was able to kick him because of that. Normally the settings prevent officers from kicking eachother.

And nope, they weren`t using the "show as offline" option either. It`s just some strange hiccup in the steam community.

Last edited by real4xor: 06-25-2012 at 12:54 PM.
real4xor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 10:57 AM   #6
klackhead

The thing is they don't use the appear offline option. They just go online normally. After I logout and go back in sometimes they'd appear online, but then some others would appear offline to me. I usually logoff and on a few times and settle with having 3 of them online and 1 offline (even though he's online on other people's lists).
klackhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 04:09 PM   #7
Rooslin

i have had this same problem but only with one person on my friends list and it is getting very annoying as i tend to play many games with them

i found that if i block then immediately unblock them they will appear online

very annoying would like an answer asap
Rooslin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 08:29 AM   #8
LAROCK

I have had the same issue for about 3 months now, Steam seems to be ignoring this problem alltogether. There has been a lot of these threads with no success to fixing the problem...

HERE IS A LITTLE WORKAROUND.

The best solution is to go to your "offline" friends profile, Block all communication, then unblock your friend and he/she will appear online again. (Blocking friends will not remove them from your friends list).

STEAM PLEASE FIX THIS ISSUE!

Last edited by LAROCK: 08-06-2012 at 04:27 PM.
LAROCK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 06:39 AM   #9
LAROCK

Well it seems Steam will ignore this problem alltogether Like I said, i've seen a few threads like this before, and they do not get any attention from Valve/Steam... really sucks cause I now have 7 friends I speak with regularly that appear offline, when infact they are Online
LAROCK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 01:56 PM   #10
T-Wayne

Some of my Steam friends send me messages while they appear to be offline to me and I have no way to respond back to them. Restarting Steam won't help much :/

It can be annoying :/
T-Wayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 11:42 PM   #11
murph89

Thanks for the tip to block/unblock, at least it's a temporary fix.

Please Valve get on this, just add an extra check in the code and you might not have to track down the source of the bug.
murph89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 10:19 PM   #12
naznatips

Please fix this Valve. I'm having a tough time playing games with my friends... which is kinda the whole reason I use your service. :-/
naznatips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 03:09 AM   #13
SaiZaro

Same problem here, almost everyone appear offline get like 3 people online while there are actually over 20 people online.

Works fine on my mobile only PC client got this problem :/

EDIT: Well it appears that only friend list doesnt work as when I goes to the friend profile it shows that he/she is online and what game is played if any at all

Last edited by SaiZaro: 11-28-2012 at 03:32 AM.
SaiZaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 12:57 PM   #14
jeero

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAROCK View Post
I have had the same issue for about 3 months now, Steam seems to be ignoring this problem alltogether. There has been a lot of these threads with no success to fixing the problem...

HERE IS A LITTLE WORKAROUND.

The best solution is to go to your "offline" friends profile, Block all communication, then unblock your friend and he/she will appear online again. (Blocking friends will not remove them from your friends list).

STEAM PLEASE FIX THIS ISSUE!
I can confirm that this does work as a quick fix, but you'll need to check your online profile or receive a message from them to know if you need to do this or not.

Thanks for sharing this tip.
jeero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 12:56 PM   #15
SeeEmilyPlay

Over 6 months since this thread was created, but the problem is still apparent. I have the exact same problem with some of my friends, and vice versa.

Another work-around, if you are the person appearing offline to others, is for you to go in to another status like away mode, and back to online - that usually allows them to see you once again.
SeeEmilyPlay is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Steam Community Discussion