Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > VAC Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 08-07-2012, 04:26 PM   #46
masterchef341

Cheaters aren't that smart. Think about all the cheaters who come onto the forums screaming that they didn't do it, begging for Valve to unban them. If they had thought it through and done their research in advance, one indication would be that you wouldn't see them wasting their time on these forums begging. They clearly don't understand how VAC works or the basic rules concerning VAC.

People acting rationally wouldn't be cheating in games in the first place.

Last edited by masterchef341: 08-07-2012 at 04:31 PM.
Old 08-07-2012, 06:51 PM   #47
CTRL ALT DEL !

Quote:
Originally Posted by masterchef341 View Post
Cheaters aren't that smart. Think about all the cheaters who come onto the forums screaming that they didn't do it, begging for Valve to unban them. If they had thought it through and done their research in advance, one indication would be that you wouldn't see them wasting their time on these forums begging. They clearly don't understand how VAC works or the basic rules concerning VAC.

People acting rationally wouldn't be cheating in games in the first place.
I would beg to differ, the number of people that come here crying is very low, less than 1 a day. The number of VAC bans is much higher.
Old 08-07-2012, 09:00 PM   #48
zonkz

In my opinion there is just one core difference between a cheater and someone who is demanding exorbitant punishments for cheaters:
The cheater cheats.

But both have a similar tendency to overestimate effects of gaming:

-The cheater wants to own ("Mom said, i am a special kid. I will show it to the world! My mom is allways right.").... Some of them even think about taking revenge for being cheated by someone else. Others just need a good player who is not going to let them own, and they pull out their leet-downloaded-tool.

-The "angry" legit player who wants more and more several punishment is also hurt in his feelings, but still doesnt want to cheat himself. But he want to see someone badly suffer for giving bad feelings.

Both categories should just play the game. And grow up

Last edited by zonkz: 08-07-2012 at 10:22 PM.
Old 08-07-2012, 09:58 PM   #49
CTRL ALT DEL !

Quote:
Originally Posted by zonkz View Post
In my opinion there is just one core difference between a cheater and someone who is demanding exorbitant punishments for cheaters:
The cheater cheats.

But both have a similar tendency to overestimate effects of gaming.
The cheater wants to own ("Mom said, i am a special kid. I will show it to the world! My mom is allways right.").... Some of them even think about taking revenge for being cheated by someone else. Others just need a good player who is not going to let them own, and they pull out their leet-downloaded-tool.

The legit player who wants more and more several punishment is also hurt in his feelings, but still doesnt want to cheat himself. But he want to see someone badly suffer for giving bad feelings.

Both categories should just play the game. And grow up
Come on, lets look at this, a cheater only annoys a few people when he is online and sometimes not at all if he hides it well and just seems to be a good player, this dude wants to grief accounts across the planet all the time. He wants Valve to lock every account the logs in a computer that had a banned account on it.

Serious stuff, because then a griefer can just get a banned account and log in on every computer he can access with steam. This is guaranteed to ban thousands of people that have never cheated or intended to cheat.

Mind you this whole thread is pointless as Valve would never even consider this, it took them a long time to decide permanent bans were the only option that would work. Why is that you say, because cheaters purchased 1 game per account and would just cycle through the accounts as they got banned and unbanned and cheat forever on a set of accounts. The longer the ban time the more accounts required. Valve had no choice really.
Old 08-07-2012, 10:19 PM   #50
zonkz

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTRL ALT DEL ! View Post
Come on, lets look at this, a cheater only annoys a few people when he is online and sometimes not at all if he hides it well and just seems to be a good player, this dude wants to grief accounts across the planet all the time. He wants Valve to lock every account the logs in a computer that had a banned account on it.

Serious stuff, because then a griefer can just get a banned account and log in on every computer he can access with steam. This is guaranteed to ban thousands of people that have never cheated or intended to cheat.

Mind you this whole thread is pointless as Valve would never even consider this, it took them a long time to decide permanent bans were the only option that would work. Why is that you say, because cheaters purchased 1 game per account and would just cycle through the accounts as they got banned and unbanned and cheat forever on a set of accounts. The longer the ban time the more accounts required. Valve had no choice really.
I have no idea how your post could be an answer to my post.

Fixed it though somehow

Last edited by zonkz: 08-07-2012 at 10:23 PM.
Old 08-08-2012, 12:17 AM   #51
CTRL ALT DEL !

Quote:
Originally Posted by zonkz View Post
I have no idea how your post could be an answer to my post.

Fixed it though somehow
TLDR His idea is worse than putting up with cheaters, it would make everyone paranoid already want to reformat before they play on a PC other than theirs.
Old 08-08-2012, 12:39 AM   #52
debrox

In case you guys didn't realize, the OP is a blatant troll. No one could come up with such a ridiculous idea and sincerely think it makes sense. The simple scenario of having multiple people use one computer dismantles any possible utility gained from the idea (even if he were serious).
Old 08-08-2012, 08:32 AM   #53
ElijahChondo43

I don't even understand why this was posted.

What I don't understand even more is why a mod hasn't closed this yet.
Old 08-08-2012, 08:37 AM   #54
Protoss

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebastiannielse View Post
jgperuherjpmer: Why would no one use steam? Only cheaters would be affected by this change anyways.
Yea, and people who have wrongly been VAC banned. It is very rare but it happened.
Old 08-08-2012, 06:06 PM   #55
CTRL ALT DEL !

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElijahChondo43 View Post
I don't even understand why this was posted.

What I don't understand even more is why a mod hasn't closed this yet.
Because we are allowed to have idea's and share them, no matter how poorly thought out or how insane the idea is.

I don't think anyone at Valve would even consider banning multiple games let alone banning by association.

Mind you if you put it to a vote, I think you would be surprised at the number of people that would actually support banning entire accounts (I would say 20-30% support), but banning by association would be well under 10% (yes there are uneducated people that don't understand the consequences and hate cheats this badly).

But after seeing the clip where huge numbers of people wanting di-hydrogen monoxide banned because it was in every water system and suspended in the air, it causes many deaths every year. After being told that dihydrogen monoxice is actually water they changed their minds, such is knowledge, those that don't understand often have a very wrong impression of things.
Old 08-24-2012, 10:23 PM   #56
Iron Alpha

Obvious troll is obvious.

Come on, a secret token that disables your account ONLY when you spend money.
I know Valve reserves the right to deny us access to our games if need be, but doing that would make Valve the same as people who remove their item from a trade at the last minute and get the other guy's item for free.
Old 08-24-2012, 10:35 PM   #57
Satoru

Technically Xbox does a similar thing. Xbox will perma-ban your console for a variety of reasons. Your GamerTag can also be perma-banned independently.

I've only seen one company take it the extra mile. Turn10 does GamerTag and console bans. But also bans consoles if a flagged GamerTag logs into it. "In theory" a user could go around logging into consoles with their banned GamerTag and that console wouldn't be able to play any Forza games.
Old 08-24-2012, 10:38 PM   #58
CTRL ALT DEL !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Alpha View Post
Come on, a secret token that disables your account ONLY when you spend money.
I know Valve reserves the right to deny us access to our games if need be, but doing that would make Valve the same as people who remove their item from a trade at the last minute and get the other guy's item for free.
Don't panic, Valve would never consider something that stupid. It would only catch highjacked people.
Old 08-25-2012, 04:21 AM   #59
Tito Shivan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satoru View Post
Technically Xbox does a similar thing. Xbox will perma-ban your console for a variety of reasons. Your GamerTag can also be perma-banned independently.

I've only seen one company take it the extra mile. Turn10 does GamerTag and console bans. But also bans consoles if a flagged GamerTag logs into it. "In theory" a user could go around logging into consoles with their banned GamerTag and that console wouldn't be able to play any Forza games.
Consoles are more prone to that sort of measures than PC gaming.
After all, if a console gets banned, your only choice is to get another.
PC cheaters have a long way ahead in changing/swapping hardware in order to overcome 'Hardware Bans'. A thing that one can't do on consoles to the same extent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTRL ALT DEL ! View Post
Don't panic, Valve would never consider something that stupid. It would only catch highjacked people.
Agree.
Old 08-25-2012, 04:45 AM   #60
sebastiannielse

Iron Alpha: The difference is that the poor innocent gotting scammed in a trade does not deserve it.
A cheater on the other side deserve to have his game taken from him.

The reason of the idea, is that many people want that Valve earn money from cheaters, thats why not full computer banning is used, so the cheater can still pay again and get a new game.

But my idea combines both, so we can get the best out of both world. Valve still earning money on cheaters, AND that cheaters lose their access to game.

OK, ill agree, that putting a secret token on all computers which touch the banned account would be a little harsh and maybe affect innocent people.

But a secret token could be put on the computer that was caught by VAC (but not any subsuquent computers), so a reformat is ALWAYS required, AND that we start with CC bans. (Credit card bans)
Flagging a cheater's CC number is a great measure, since according to the issuer aggrement, you should NOT lend out your credit card or make purchases in behalf of others.

That would really caught repeat offenders, since the bank will start wondering if he orders a new CC each month. The bank is required to take action against "suspicious behavious" according to AML laws so that would put cheaters to a dead stop.
Especially those that really lend a CC from his friend/mom/dad whatever since that person would not want to order a new CC each month so they would refuse to order a new CC all the time, which would stop the cheater completely.

Also delayed flagging and disablement of accounts when a "flagged" CC-number is used, would also make the cheater think its something else causing the flag and reformat the computer and also maybe changing passwords and so on, so he might purchase the game 3 times with the same card and get them all banned, before he realize he need to order a new CC.

Valve earns the money. Cheater get no games.
Also, the agreement allows this, so the cheater has nothing to come with when it comes to laws. He cannot said he got "scammed" by valve since he agreed to the agreement.

Last edited by sebastiannielse: 08-25-2012 at 04:54 AM.
Closed Thread

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > VAC Discussion