Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > Sleeping Dogs

Old 08-17-2012, 10:55 AM   #1
Fenrisulven

Sleeping Dogs not starting.

Somehow I knew something would happen All games I ever bought with Steam have had all kinds of problems, server errors and auto updating my games with new bugs. I swore never to buy a game with Steam again, but what can you do?

This time I preloaded SD yesterday but it was suspended, for some reason, but I was told everything was just fine on the forums.

OK so now it's supposed to be unlocked but when I had about 1 minute left before launch, I suddenly got this error:

"STEAM ERROR, WAITING FOR DISK".

What disk?

Very confusing. Now when I tried restarting Steam and launch Sleeping Dogs it simply counts seconds but never starts.

If anyone have a solution, that would be swell.
Old 08-17-2012, 11:01 AM   #2
gonzo13

Try verifying cache to make sure it downloaded correctly. If that passes your problem isn't with Steam.
gonzo13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 11:02 AM   #3
Klaleara

By Disk, it probably means your hard drive or something.

I am however, at a loss with your issue. Hopefully you fix it soon.
Klaleara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 11:03 AM   #4
evs

I had the same problem (Disk I/O error) on the pre-load.
I added the HD textures DLC (free) and then deleted the local content and re-downloaded it.
This cleared it up for me - good luck!
evs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 12:40 PM   #5
Fenrisulven

Hey thanks for the help you guys I got back to my computer and tried launching it again, without actually doing anything else but taking a brake, and now it started. No idea what caused the disk error message. Thank god it works in offline mode too. Being online all the time makes me uneasy.

SD looks very promising. One of the better GTA clones I seen actually. Maybe it's time for Rockstar to panic.
Fenrisulven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 12:42 PM   #6
Naruzuru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenrisulven View Post
SD looks very promising. One of the better GTA clones I seen actually. Maybe it's time for Rockstar to panic.
I'm probably half-way through the game by now, I think it blows GTAIV outta the water
Naruzuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 03:48 PM   #7
Fenrisulven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naruzuru View Post
I'm probably half-way through the game by now, I think it blows GTAIV outta the water
I wouldn't go that far. Rockstar Games have much more attention to detail. The atmosphere in GTA IV is amazing. Just exploring or going nuts, blowing stuff up, harassing pedestrians etc can be very entertaining. In SD things are pretty stiff in comparison. Also the driving is utter garbage to be frank. In GTA IV you have decent physics and one of the best vehicle damage models ever made making racing and stunting really fun. Driving in SD is just.. meh

It's good looking though and the fighting part is really nice. It's a good GTA clone yes, but it's no GTA that's for sure.
Old 08-17-2012, 04:30 PM   #8
GI_Biochip

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by evs View Post
I had the same problem (Disk I/O error) on the pre-load.
I added the HD textures DLC (free) and then deleted the local content and re-downloaded it.
This cleared it up for me - good luck!
Thanks, +1rep!
GI_Biochip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 12:09 AM   #9
Naruzuru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenrisulven View Post
I wouldn't go that far. Rockstar Games have much more attention to detail. The atmosphere in GTA IV is amazing. Just exploring or going nuts, blowing stuff up, harassing pedestrians etc can be very entertaining. In SD things are pretty stiff in comparison. Also the driving is utter garbage to be frank. In GTA IV you have decent physics and one of the best vehicle damage models ever made making racing and stunting really fun. Driving in SD is just.. meh

It's good looking though and the fighting part is really nice. It's a good GTA clone yes, but it's no GTA that's for sure.
No, the atmosphere in SD is pretty damned amazing. Also, the non-US atmosphere of it is really refreshing.

I'm guessing you haven't tried harassing pedestrians or going around rampaging yet? It's much, much more hilarious and satisfying than GTAIV. You don't need weapons to do it either. The hand-to-hand combat mechanics can be used to comedic effect if you haven't noticed. Try tackling an old lady, stand up and throw her own umbrella at her face. It's freakin hilarious

The driving's physics is inferior, I agree, such as it takes a lot to throw you off a bike, but the hijacking function more than makes up for it. And the way you can do 360s in one place is just awesome.

Of course, the one thing that makes it much much better than GTAIV is the story and dialogue. This is a subjective matter of course, but I feel that SD is much better at making you feel the character is real, and hence easier to empathize with them. And the attention to detail does not lose to GTAIV.

I am of course comparing only GTAIV to SD, seeing as how they both try to do the whole cinematic-movie experience thing. GTA San Andreas and Vice City are both a whole different experience, and comparing them wouldn't make much sense.(SD and IV would both lose if I try)
Naruzuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 06:46 AM   #10
Fenrisulven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naruzuru View Post
No, the atmosphere in SD is pretty damned amazing. Also, the non-US atmosphere of it is really refreshing.

I'm guessing you haven't tried harassing pedestrians or going around rampaging yet? It's much, much more hilarious and satisfying than GTAIV. You don't need weapons to do it either. The hand-to-hand combat mechanics can be used to comedic effect if you haven't noticed. Try tackling an old lady, stand up and throw her own umbrella at her face. It's freakin hilarious

The driving's physics is inferior, I agree, such as it takes a lot to throw you off a bike, but the hijacking function more than makes up for it. And the way you can do 360s in one place is just awesome.

Of course, the one thing that makes it much much better than GTAIV is the story and dialogue. This is a subjective matter of course, but I feel that SD is much better at making you feel the character is real, and hence easier to empathize with them. And the attention to detail does not lose to GTAIV.

I am of course comparing only GTAIV to SD, seeing as how they both try to do the whole cinematic-movie experience thing. GTA San Andreas and Vice City are both a whole different experience, and comparing them wouldn't make much sense.(SD and IV would both lose if I try)
That's the first thing I do in sandbox GTA clone. It's how you can actually see how much work the developers put into it. Only doing missions and rushing the game as fast as possible in not my cup of tea.

Compared to SD, GTA IV have much more dialog and interactive pedestrians. If you stop next to one, they start talking to you, asking what your problem is, and eventually even start fighting. Also the AI will notice if you follow someone, and you can trick them into fighting each other and so on. In SD nothing happens by itself. It's less predictable. Also GTA IV use a more advanced physics engine, Euphoria, with it's AI survival algorithm making AI grab on to stuff, trying to maintain balance etc. SD use old school ragdoll physics. I could go on but when it comes to small details such as this, it is what makes or brakes the illusion of a living breathing city. Even after all these years I still overhear new dialog in GTA IV and the AI can still surprise me.

SD is a good game though. They also managed to get awesome performance out of this graphics beast. I'm probably about half way now, but taking it slow. Don't want all this fun to end anytime soon
Old 08-18-2012, 07:00 AM   #11
Fenrisulven

LOL
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LfEaKEr5ecw

About graphics. GTA IV with better shaders ENB:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ptKtBeQmFY

Last edited by Fenrisulven: 08-18-2012 at 07:15 AM.
Old 08-18-2012, 08:31 AM   #12
MrReynolds

Just to add some more info that may help someone in the future.

a) I can only run the .exe in Vista sp2 mode (????) (even though im on windows 7 - and every other game has always worked fine).

b) Once that works, and you start a new game, it takes ages to unpack (guess) graphics. It seems that your computer has hung.

Anyway, at least for me it now works...........................

EDIT:
Oh no, after coming back to the game it's STILL taking forever to continue from my checkpoint.

............. This REALLY sucks...

Last edited by MrReynolds: 08-18-2012 at 08:41 AM.
MrReynolds is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > Sleeping Dogs