Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > T - Z > Torchlight series

Old 08-10-2012, 12:55 AM   #136
Repomancer

It kind of comes down to what you'd rather complain about: a late relase, or a buggy/incomplete/unpolished release. Torchlight is a beautiful and very well-done game; a preorder is a preorder, they're obligated to come up with T2 sometime in the not-too-distant future and if it takes another week or three beyond what was said to deliver a truly finished product, I have no problems with that, and have plenty to keep myself busy in the meantime.

And old saw in the aerospace industry (that made the jump to games) is "the 90-90 rule of project scheduling." The first 90% of the project takes the first 90% of the time, and the last 10% of the project takes the other 90% of the time.

I was once lead on a game that shipped nearly two years after the first announced release date (set by marketing, natch) and in the meantime generated all kinds of snickering in the press -- but when it hit the shelves all was forgiven 'cause it was finished. Give 'em a break, it'll get done. Sept 21 is still a month and a half away, anyway, there's plenty of summer left.
Repomancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 06:35 AM   #137
Risinggunstar

With all this release date tension... I really hope, for Runic's sake, that the game launches well. All this "no date" madness, topped off with a bugged up game... won't go over well...
Risinggunstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 08:51 PM   #138
chairsgotoschoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Risinggunstar View Post
With all this release date tension... I really hope, for Runic's sake, that the game launches well. All this "no date" madness, topped off with a bugged up game... won't go over well...
yeah, duke nukem comes to mind
chairsgotoschoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 11:36 PM   #139
mithrandir3

Quote:
There is no reason for the game to be particularly bugged.
The Beta was working very well, a lot of finished games would like to be in the state of TL2 Beta.
mithrandir3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 06:09 PM   #140
PolarisOrbit

Quote:
To answer your first point, i would have to admit that I have no idea what you are talking about. Do you understand what Reductio ad Absurdum actually means? Its when you take an argument and push the exercise so far that it becomes ridiculous before then leaning on that newly-made argument to delegitimize the original one. I would love for you to point out in which part of what you quoted im doing that, because I personally cant see it...
Comparing complaints of a delayed game to screaming about six day postage that took two weeks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikijih View Post
As for your second point: im standing against appologetism in business. Its not for the client to make excuses for the corporation. When a company imposes a deadline or a condition, they do it by the book. They don't wait around, they don't ask you why you didnt pay in time: its either you pay, either you are in trouble.

In such a situation why should clients be asked to apply a double standard to themselves and NOT hold the company itself to their own deadlines? Advertisement is legally a form of verbal contract. If I break a contract, I expect to be held accountable. When a company breaks a contract, then I expect them to ALSO be held accountable.

In this case, of course im not standing for financial gain, as I have nothing to lose nor gain from this situation. However, I see people with legit complaints and people are telling them that somehow they are at fault for not having the moral qualities required to excuse a company's actions. That is wrong in and of itself. Its a cancer that affects all of us.

Think of the video game industry for exemple... think back when you were a kid: what game EVER released unpolished? If I bought a game for my nintendo, i knew it would work or i could bring it back to the merchant. Now? Well now we have companys releasing games in a barely-playable state (Skyrim on PS3 for exemple) and not only do they get away with it, but they win awards for it. Ask yourself: why is it that we ended up in this situation?

Because we made it happen. By letting companies get away with anything in the name of a pseudo-maturity (a term that is nowdays terribly mis-used in an attempt at self-flattery), we are the ones essentially telling them that they can do whatever they want without consequences and without ever being held accountable to their actions.

Im sorry, but all I am saying is: they play by the rules, why shouldn't we?
OK, I can agree with that. The way you were carrying on, I thought you were going for something else, so I'm glad you clarified that Good job.
PolarisOrbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 09:06 AM   #141
Asmodeux

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simian_ View Post
Oh come on, man. That's ridiculous. You're unaware of this, but you are talking to someone who's got a lifelong history in "principles". You hardly know the meaning of the word, yet you so easily employ it as if it held some intangible power. I'm sorry but I just can't take you seriously. You are upset about the release of a video game that I bet you didn't even pay for yet either. So you sit behind a computer screen and make your snippy pointless unproductive comments at people who have nothing at all to do with the true source of your frustration. That's just sad. Settle down and try being a patient, mature adult or go do something else with your time, like reading a book or taking up a cause.

The above was not solely directed at the poster quoted.
Loadabull
Asmodeux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 09:20 AM   #142
Risinggunstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by mithrandir3 View Post
The Beta was working very well, a lot of finished games would like to be in the state of TL2 Beta.
There was no reason for Diablo 3 to release in it's state... and it did. TL2's beta went extremely well, but the devs themselves have reported running into bugs and what not after the fact.

I'm not really trying to start an argument. I just think that all this waiting and even the status updates may create the whole "This game will be flawless" mentality. That usually doesn't go well in the end.

Either way, I still can't wait for this game...
Risinggunstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 10:27 AM   #143
chairsgotoschoo

Quote:
There was no reason for Diablo 3 to release in it's state...
there was a very good reason diablo 3's release was horrible, blizzard thought hey we dont want them to download a huge game and we dont wand people to pirate so we will have parts of the game render online. then its like they forgot they made a good game years ago called diablo 2 and thought we will have like 200 people playing on release, release comes and i cant play it without lag and my computer can play any game on the marked most of them maxed out. then they had to do all the down time to fix their stupid mistake. i gave diablo a chance then another and another and i almost bought it but after 5 chances and it still not working right i decided i would spend my 60 bucks on other things (20 of it on torchlight if it ever comes out)
Old 08-13-2012, 01:12 PM   #144
blackxshade

I waited till the end of May to preorder it because I thought it would be out soon. lol...

Needless to say I'm a little disappointed and frustrated.

I am wondering though why people are getting angry about other people venting their frustration.
blackxshade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 01:14 PM   #145
kijib

some people just wanna watch the world not have torchlight 2
kijib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 04:13 PM   #146
chairsgotoschoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackxshade View Post
I waited till the end of May to preorder it because I thought it would be out soon. lol...

Needless to say I'm a little disappointed and frustrated.

I am wondering though why people are getting angry about other people venting their frustration.
i just get mad when people say they got ripped off or that they have a right to sue
Old 08-13-2012, 04:14 PM   #147
blackxshade

Quote:
Originally Posted by kijib View Post
some people just wanna watch the world not have torchlight 2
Haha!

That made my day.

(ಠ_ಠ)
blackxshade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 04:37 PM   #148
Graeystone

Quote:
Originally Posted by mithrandir3 View Post
That's true. Only problems I had during Beta-
Occasional monsters and item in some unreachable place.(Which Runic caught and fixed ASAP)

Monster ambushes triggering prematurely.(Which can make the last monster in the ambush practically unkillable but only happened twice to me.)

The Intro Movie's audio being way out of synch with with the video. Now I think this problem was because it Beta was more about testing the game's Multiplayer Stuff which made the audio out of sync with the video. Don't know about Single Player but will find out. Anyway that is a problem with the Studio who made the the movies, not Runic.

Names being out of alignment in the credits.

One pair of boots - the design icon and what it looks like did not match.

The monocle for the female Engineer would vanish when wearing an open faced helm like a bandana or cap.

Basically it was all little things that can be easily taken care of. There was no unexpected game crashes or BSODs. Not bad for an incomplete game.
Graeystone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 09:19 PM   #149
xbon

Summer ends september 21st, this is the target date.
xbon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 11:16 AM   #150
Razorlord

ZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz...

1 week left in Summer then its back to work/school

Guess wont be buying this.... to bad
Razorlord is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > T - Z > Torchlight series