Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > T - Z > Team Fortress 2

Old 08-19-2012, 04:37 AM   #1
kadahun

TF2 crashes on startup

I haven't played TF2 for a long time, but since the MvM update I have decided to play it again. I downloaded it, tried to run it, and it crashed right after the VALVe logo. First, even the resolution was small, the window was far too small, I tought that was the problem, but I managed to make it appear at 1280x720 via game properties. But no, it still doesn't work. I have a similiar problem at SFM too, maybe the problem is with my hardware?

Many thanks in advance
Old 08-19-2012, 04:47 AM   #2
Rancor26

Standard procedure in these situations is to:
1. Verify the game files
2. Install latest directx and video card drivers(remove the old video card drivers first)
3. Install windows redistributable package

Try those first. If that doesn't work then you should post your hardware setup here, if the game worked fine when you played it last time then i guess it would be good to know what has changed since then or have you changed the whole computer? Also does the windows just say hl2.exe has stopped working or does it give you some error message?
Rancor26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 07:05 AM   #3
kadahun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rancor26 View Post
1. Verify the game files
2. Install latest directx and video card drivers(remove the old video card drivers first)
3. Install windows redistributable package
Well, I guess you've have found the problem. My video card driver. Or rather, my lack of the driver. I reinstalled windows a few months ago, and hence I couldn't find my driver disc, I didn't install it. I tried to look it up in the hardware managements, and even used some third party softwers, to find out what kinda card I have, but they all seem to fail at identifying it. All I know is that it's AMD 64, and that I used CCC before I reset it.
kadahun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 07:18 AM   #4
Rancor26

Quote:
Originally Posted by kadahun View Post
Well, I guess you've have found the problem. My video card driver. Or rather, my lack of the driver. I reinstalled windows a few months ago, and hence I couldn't find my driver disc, I didn't install it. I tried to look it up in the hardware managements, and even used some third party softwers, to find out what kinda card I have, but they all seem to fail at identifying it. All I know is that it's AMD 64, and that I used CCC before I reset it.
What does the device manager say? You could also open up the start menu (windows logo in the bottom left corner of your desktop) and type "run" to the search and then "dxdiag" to the window that appears and see if it detects your video card. If your video card is ATI you could also go to drivers section of their website and use the "auto detect and install".

If all else fails you can open up your computer case and check the video card if possible and if you are using a desktop computer.
Rancor26 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > T - Z > Team Fortress 2