Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Help and Tips

Old 08-14-2012, 01:43 PM   #1
wheels5894

Windows 8 - Games Not Working

So, since I have juts installed a new SSD, I decided to give Windows 8 a go as I intend to upgrade in a couple of months when it comes out. So far it has not proved a success with Steam Games though.

Some games - GTA San Andreas for example - run absolutely fine. Train Simulator 2012 does too. Yet others don't talk at all - Flat Out Ultimate Carnage and LA Noire.

Anyone got any ideas how to fix this or is a fix coming with the release of Windows 8?
Old 08-14-2012, 01:49 PM   #2
deezus

What sort of errors are you getting?
deezus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 02:00 PM   #3
Shelton

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheels5894 View Post
So, since I have juts installed a new SSD, I decided to give Windows 8 a go as I intend to upgrade in a couple of months when it comes out. So far it has not proved a success with Steam Games though.

Some games - GTA San Andreas for example - run absolutely fine. Train Simulator 2012 does too. Yet others don't talk at all - Flat Out Ultimate Carnage and LA Noire.

Anyone got any ideas how to fix this or is a fix coming with the release of Windows 8?
99% of my games run fine on Windows 8, but yeah, there are a few that just throw up errors. The LA Noire error is due to Steam, if you play a retail version it is fine. However, SPUF user "Gonzo" was able to find a fix for the Steam version. No idea what he actually did, but the solution is here: http://forums.steampowered.com/forum...2599851&page=5

Flatout works fine for me. What happens when you try to run it?
Shelton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 02:03 PM   #4
Ryster

Quote:
Originally Posted by graspee View Post
Windows 8 is not released, I dunno why you'd try steam with it now. I also don't know why you would want to upgrade to windows 8 anyway.
Said by somebody who clearly hasn't bothered to try it themselves and form their own opinion.

And it HAS been released, a few weeks ago actually and is available to several large groups of people through MSDN/Technet/Eval, etc.
Ryster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 03:11 PM   #5
mistertropical

ya exactly

out of all the windows ever made, windows 7 is the only one that has passing marks

maybe XP but honestly, ill be amazed if windows 8 is anything short of garbage
mistertropical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 03:30 PM   #6
Markcb

OK, Windows 8 is , all right. But we are talking about games that don't work on W8, not whether it is good or bad.

You can add to the list Gotham City Impostors. Not even opens. I click play, the process begins... and suddenly it ends, not even opening the game window.
Markcb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 03:38 PM   #7
ElderSnake

Gothic 4 never worked on it for me
ElderSnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 03:48 PM   #8
paratech2008

Every time you "upgrade" OSes, you'll "lose" games. I had some losses from Win XP SP3 to Win 7, heck frag, I even lost some stuff from Win XP to Win XP SP3.

I lost a lot of "emulation" games that way. I'm talking "commercial" emulators that are legal, like the Atari 80 on one that Steam used to sell, various Sega Genesis packs, an Activision 2600 game pack, etc.

Taito Legends still works, but Taito Legends 2 (and anything that uses the old Starforce DRM) won't work in Win 7 64 bit (or Vista 64 bit IIRC.)

I've repurchased the Prince of Persia pack on Steam, for example, as Two Thrones has Starforce and can't be run on Vista/Win 7 64 bit.

I'm sure more games will pop up that won't work in Win 8.
paratech2008 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 03:48 PM   #9
MADDOGGE

I personally loathe Win8 but that's neither here nor there. The OP asked for help. So lets try to stay focused on his issue and not our hatred of a particular OS, if we can.

As you know OP, Win8 not yet released yet and so not everything may be working properly. I remember when I beta tested Win7 that none of my Steam games that required Steam ran initially. I had to install per suggestion the DX9 runtime even though DX10 was supposed to be back compatible. After that I had no further issues with my Steam games running.

That's not to say that your problem is the same issue but at least it gives you something to try.
MADDOGGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 03:56 PM   #10
Shelton

Windows 8 is awesome. I've been using it since March and I much prefer it to Windows 7. I'm not sure how anyone can say it's worse, as the desktop is quite similar to 7, except with several improvements. I'd say it's more a matter of people being "afraid" of the new start screen and blindly following Gabe. It's obvious that many who are slating it haven't tried it, so how can they know? I could say I hate Paris, but I haven't been there so does my opinion hold any weight?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markcb View Post
You can add to the list Gotham City Impostors. Not even opens. I click play, the process begins... and suddenly it ends, not even opening the game window.
Anyway, Gotham City definitely can run on Winodws 8. I've played it for well over 50 hours, the whole time on Windows 8. I'd suggest reinstalling all of the redistributables and make sure you have the latest GFWL client.
Shelton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 05:11 PM   #11
Whinis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelton View Post
Windows 8 is awesome. I've been using it since March and I much prefer it to Windows 7. I'm not sure how anyone can say it's worse, as the desktop is quite similar to 7, except with several improvements. I'd say it's more a matter of people being "afraid" of the new start screen and blindly following Gabe. It's obvious that many who are slating it haven't tried it, so how can they know? I could say I hate Paris, but I haven't been there so does my opinion hold any weight?

Anyway, Gotham City definitely can run on Winodws 8. I've played it for well over 50 hours, the whole time on Windows 8. I'd suggest reinstalling all of the redistributables and make sure you have the latest GFWL client.
You realize that it is infact possible to hate something that reduces productivity right? However either the game will never work again or someone will find a work around.
Whinis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 06:56 PM   #12
graspee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryster View Post
Said by somebody who clearly hasn't bothered to try it themselves and form their own opinion.

And it HAS been released, a few weeks ago actually and is available to several large groups of people through MSDN/Technet/Eval, etc.
I have tried it myself but it is NOT released.
graspee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 07:11 PM   #13
tacc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whinis View Post
You realize that it is infact possible to hate something that reduces productivity right?
But what of the chil... errr productivity!?!?

Seriously... every time something somewhere somehow changes people complain that it hurts productivity.
So what's taking you 0.2 seconds longer then before and have you made sure that Windows 8 doesn't make it up with something else? For example with the at least twice as fast boot/shutdown compared to 7?
Also it's now a standard feature to have a taskbar on every screen. Huge improvement for your sacred "productivity".

Quote:
At least the trial is released for everybody.
tacc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 07:22 PM   #14
eydeeb

Quote:
Yes it is.
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/eval.../jj554510.aspx
eydeeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 11:17 AM   #15
montyburns1983

Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryster View Post

he doesn't need to try it himself, his "opinion" is based on reality.

and what you are describing is not the same as released.

and lose the attitude. all he did is point out that it's odd to get upset about steam having an issue on a bredn new OS that isn't fully released yet. and he's right.

and people there's a difference between there being a trial, and the actual, full retail launch.
montyburns1983 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Help and Tips